Ruger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Looks cool, but I wish they'd put more effort in to pumping out some more Marlins instead. I like AR's and have a couple, but the market is pretty saturated with them already. I realize this is slightly different and they think there's a niche there for that, but still.
I hear ya my friend, but I bet this was in R and D for awhile now, and I'm going to be honest the idea of a .308 in an AR-15 (not an AR-10 style) is very exciting to me, there really is no accessible gun like this out there. But I can understand your frustration, we all want to see some new Marlins to!

·
"The Real Deal"
10,232 Posts
I dunno i have mixed feelings being im an AR connoisseur. It kinda seems like an ar15 action with a 308 magwell. The lighter it is the more its gonna move, and recoil, best bet is to suppress it. Possibly why the gas block is adjustable, Ive seen a few others that did this with the AR, but it never really gained traction, olympic arms was one. The bolt, carrier, and recoil buffer, spring have to be firearm specific. The 15 bolt cannot handle 7.62x51, not enough mass. So i may be wrong but im just gonna sit back and watch. I really still want a sr762. As if i needed another AR. 😁

The gen 1 dpms style Large frame AR is my preference, tons of parts available to make it yours, the m1a, and hk91 are both my mainstays as well.

Reactions: Efm77338

·
Registered
150 Posts
I hear ya my friend, but I bet this was in R and D for awhile now, and I'm going to be honest the idea of a .308 in an AR-15 (not an AR-10 style) is very exciting to me, there really is no accessible gun like this out there. But I can understand your frustration, we all want to see some new Marlins to!
I'm sure you're right about it being in R&D for a while, and I guess there is some demand for it, or they wouldn't have made it. You are interested in it so there's another point of proof for demand. I didn't realize there was so many wanting to shoe horn a 308 into an AR15. Ruger is known for making very strong actions, and hopefully it holds up. They said in the video on their website, the bolt and barrel extension are made from a high nickel content special alloy steel that's strong enough to withstand it as it's the same size as an AR15. Makes me a little leery though of it holding up as I've always been kind of in the camp of the saying, "there's no replacement for displacement". I hope it works well though.

·
Registered
257 Posts
It will be interesting to see exactly what magazines are compatible with this new rifle. Also of interest to some users will be the cross-compatibility of 5.56-based AR components/accessories, such as trigger groups, selector/safety levers, and so on. I am assuming that the charging handle is sized such that a 5.56-based AR charging handle will not fit. Time will tell.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
It will be interesting to see exactly what magazines are compatible with this new rifle. Also of interest to some users will be the cross-compatibility of 5.56-based AR components/accessories, such as trigger groups, selector/safety levers, and so on. I am assuming that the charging handle is sized such that a 5.56-based AR charging handle will not fit. Time will tell.
No need for time 😁 the final 2 bullet points on rugers website answers both those questions. As far as ar-15 compatibility it’s trigger groups, receiver end plates, charging handles, pistol grips and stocks . For mags it comes with a pmag and is compatible with sr-25 or ar-10 style mags.

·
"The Real Deal"
10,232 Posts
No need for time 😁 the final 2 bullet points on rugers website answers both those questions. As far as ar-15 compatibility it’s trigger groups, receiver end plates, charging handles, pistol grips and stocks . For mags it comes with a pmag and is compatible with sr-25 or ar-10 style mags.
Funny thing is the lr308 pattern. rra lar 8 and most ar10's already use the ar15 trigger, stocks, pistol grips, buffer tubes, end plates are already the same in both. The buffer and springs are different lengths and mags are different, bolt catch are proprietary to which pattern its following. Bolt catch on the rra is on the bottom behind the mag well, lr308 uses a larger bolt catch paddle, some use the roll pin, some have a screw in attachment for it.

So being common parts in the previous 308ar's was already close, no "new" development in that area.

·
"The Real Deal"
10,232 Posts
I also think the biggest thing is that if this new design gets alot of the aftermarket buy in by parts makers will determine IF this takes off. I see that like DPMS when they came out with the lr308 G2, which wasnt compatible with the original, even though some parts were shared. It didnt take off, not alot of aftermarket parts buy in, and the original lr308 remained popular, pattern being used by other manfacturers similarly with alot of parts that crossed between makers. Their is a ton of aftermarket following for it. So i see if the parts come out, it may take off, if not, it probably follow the G2's success.

One of my typical G1 dpms pattern 308's.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Trigger Wood Automotive exterior

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
I also think the biggest thing is that if this new design gets alot of the aftermarket buy in by parts makers will determine IF this takes off. I see that like DPMS when they came out with the lr308 G2, which wasnt compatible with the original, even though some parts were shared. It didnt take off, not alot of aftermarket parts buy in, and the original lr308 remained popular, pattern being used by other manfacturers similarly with alot of parts that crossed between makers. Their is a ton of aftermarket following for it. So i see if the parts come out, it may take off, if not, it probably follow the G2's success.

One of my typical G1 dpms pattern 308's.

View attachment 175748
Jason I wonder DPMS and Palmetto's AR10s are the same now?

·
"The Real Deal"
10,232 Posts
Jason I wonder DPMS and Palmetto's AR10s are the same now?
Oh yes they are have the same logo instead of St Cloud Mn, Huntsville AL, they have West Columbia SC i believe. Not sure of what models they are producing.

Thats how you tell.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Instead of making new rifles they should be trying to fix issues and quality problems they have with current products. Just my 2 cents.
Yep. I would have them focus on revolvers more, but that probably does not pay the bills. More people buy rifles, cheap LCPs and such. I get it. Do what you gotta do to keep the lights on.
I wonder if the 7.62 NATO will shoot cheap steel ammo????????

"The Queen is dead. Short live the Pervert King" Oops, did I say that outloud?

·
Super Moderator
6,410 Posts
I don’t think I will end up with one, but he biggest problem with the AR platform has been the chamberings. There are a couple now that are pretty good, ones such as the 6.5 Grendel and the .450 bushmaster that can be considered serious hunting rounds, but the history of the commercial AR15 is littered with cartridges that have attempted to bring a little more power to the platform (30 Rem AR anyone) but they are always too much of a compromise to really step up the power level of the AR15 size platform. Now that Ruger has done it, I think we will see good demand for it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would love to shoot it! Bet it would be sweet. Probably could make a tack driver with the right reload and shooter lol! My boy is fixing to get his AR-10 and I can’t wait! The lady who he is buying it from had it custom made for herself! She said it shoot’s like an AR-15 shooting 5.56 with recoil. She weighed about 120 lbs. soaking wet lol! Should be a blast to shoot.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Can't get excited about stuff like this. It's just another "AR Type" that looks like every other brand "AR Type." Nothing unique about it. I like Ruger for the firearms they've made that no one else made. Gun makers are becoming homogenized into one big boring conglomerate. Can't tell one company from another.

I predict there will be a surge of interest in classic NOS and used firearms that at one time defined the soul of a company.

Ruger must do what it must do to survive... and they will by bringing out more stuff like this to stay relevant.

·
Registered
596 Posts
While it looks like a winner and is interesting, I'd be hesitant of investing any time or money towards AR development in todays climate.

Stroke of a pen......and they are gone.

The company that has other eggs in the basket will be ahead of the game. I would rather have seen a return of the .44 Mag Carbine. Wood stock....no plastic.

Bepe

·
"The Real Deal"
10,232 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
I'd be interested in the 20" version. I've had a couple AR10 rifles and they all suffered from being big fat pigs. Despite Rambo fantasies about battle rifles most of us will never shoot an AR10 enough to even remotely come close to wearing one out. I bet most AR10 rifles are used for hog hunting and deer hunting and there's no need for milspec this and milspec that. I just need a decent reasonably light and accurate rifle. My current AR10 (Sig 716i) is absurdly accurate. Well under 1 MOA. It is a bit heavy though. It's 8.5 lbs out of the box. Put a scope and a sling on it and load it with 5 rounds of 308 and it's sneaking up on 10lbs. That's not at all unusual for an AR10. I had a S&W MP10 that was heavier. If the 20" Ruger is as advertised at 7.3 lbs empty and shoots 2 MOA I want one.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts