Ruger Forum banner
41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,680 Posts
Sorry, I am too old fashioned, or nostalgic if you wish, but my choice of a semi-auto .308 has to be an M1A or an FN-FAL.
Me too but the AR-15 entered service only about 5 years behind the M14 and only 10 years behind the FN-FAL. So, technically you're correct, the AR-15 is the baby of the bunch but not by much and it's old enough (60 years and counting) to have a little nostalgia of it's own. It also started out as a 308 too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
While it looks like a winner and is interesting, I'd be hesitant of investing any time or money towards AR development in todays climate.

Stroke of a pen......and they are gone.

The company that has other eggs in the basket will be ahead of the game. I would rather have seen a return of the .44 Mag Carbine. Wood stock....no plastic.

Bepe
I am the same, I want a semi auto 44 mag, You would think someone else would have made one. And in the wooden stock, no problems with states, I like the look and of the wood stock instead of the tactical, but understand the advantages of lightweight materials

·
Registered
48 Posts
While it looks like a winner and is interesting, I'd be hesitant of investing any time or money towards AR development in todays climate.

Stroke of a pen......and they are gone.

The company that has other eggs in the basket will be ahead of the game. I would rather have seen a return of the .44 Mag Carbine. Wood stock....no plastic.

Bepe
Yep, I'd love to see the .44 Mag Carbine with wood stock come back. Also one in 357 Mag. I guess you could say I'm a classic Ruger fan. I'll be buying up some of their old offerings, and there's a lot to choose from. The new Minis and 10/22s are nice. Things like that are my preference.

Reactions: Bepe

·
Registered
11 Posts
Soon to be a new Ruger Sfar 20in barrel owner....for what you get I think it is priced in the "affordable" ball park...as compared to other AR10's...( wasn't the SR762 up near $2000.00), lately I have become a big .308 7.62 fan boy...I also have the M1A, can't beat the classic rifle look!!! but I do like the custom-ability of the "AR" platform and besides I'm also a RUGER fanboy as well....guns and ammo stay thirsty my friends!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ruger® SFAR™ Autoloading Rifle Models

Looks like Ruger is dropping another rifle, honestly I love the idea of a lightweight AR-10 style rifle, looks really cool, what do you guys think?
when Ruger dropped the precision rifle off the production platform to the shooting society it changed the game. To test yourself and compete at long range was an expensive custom built rifle became open to every sniper minded shooter on planet. That was a game changer. Now every gunmaker has developed their own version of a precision rifle, still none better than the first. Same goes for the scout rifle. And now for the “ black rifle gang” Ruger has done it again. The new SFAR 308 is the next evolution of the American Sporting rifle. The New big dog on the block. A 308 that is on an AR 15 platform that weighs only 6.8 lbs, target trigger, threadEd barrel, adjustable gas block And std 308 magpul magazine. And again only 6.8 lbs, another Ruger rifle to lead the lead throwing world into another new direction. this is going to be a game changer, again. With Ruger the motto should be “if you are not the lead dog on the sled the scenery never changes”

·
Registered
298 Posts
Owning a much-modified DSA StG58A FAL, I don't see any reason for me to rush out and buy the new Ruger item.

I'm certain that there are many folks not in my position that will differ, and more power to them.

·
Registered
Ruger 10-22 Takedown in Magpul X-22; Ruger American Ranch Rifle, 450 Bushmaster
20 Posts
Well, I did a thing Saturday morning. First impressions? I like it!!! Light weight, well balanced and it feels good in the hands.

As a former owner of the Springfield Saint Victor in 308, I can say that this one is hands down lighter. Don't get me wrong, I really liked my Saint, but because of family/medical reasons, I had to sell it.

When I was able to get back into the AR/308 game, I compared them side by side and Ruger won out, plus it was the less expensive of the two.

Once I am able to get to the range, I will make a report.
Machine gun Air gun Trigger Yellow Gun barrel

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Well, I did a thing Saturday morning. First impressions? I like it!!! Light weight, well balanced and it feels good in the hands.

As a former owner of the Springfield Saint Victor in 308, I can say that this one is hands down lighter. Don't get me wrong, I really liked my Saint, but because of family/medical reasons, I had to sell it.

When I was able to get back into the AR/308 game, I compared them side by side and Ruger won out, plus it was the less expensive of the two.

Once I am able to get to the range, I will make a report. View attachment 177547
Awesome! Please keep us appraised, congrats on the rifle!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ruger® SFAR™ Autoloading Rifle Models

Looks like Ruger is dropping another rifle, honestly I love the idea of a lightweight AR-10 style rifle, looks really cool, what do you guys think?
I'm intrigued. The last thing I need is another AR (I have ten), but an AR-10 pattern rifle that isn't a total overweight pig would be really nice.
I had one of the earlier DPMS 7.62mm rifles and it was accurate and reliable, but it was like carrying a stove pipe and the standard AR controls and ergonomics didn't translate well (for me) to a bigger, heavier platform. I'm with some of these other guys, the FAL is my preferred platform for a 7.62mm rifle, but if Ruger can pull it off and make one that's lightweight and reliable, I may take a look at it.

·
Registered
2 Mini-14's, GP100, Ruger American Hunter. 308
57 Posts
I have (4) Rugers, and I love the brand. But, I wanted an all out SHTF Zombie battle rifle, so I built an AR-10 with Aero Precision M5 upper and lower... 16" Wilson combat Recon barrel, 1X8 vortex lpvo, Superlative arms adjustable gas block and hiperfire trigger... this thing is bad!
When I saw the videos on YouTube about Ruger's new .308, I had a momentary "oh shucks" moment... it seemed like this was actually the rifle I would want... It would have the Ruger quality I admire, lightweight and do all the things I want for a battle rifle .
But, after further consideration, I think I prefer the bigger bolt and extra heft for my .308 battle rifle... maybe I'm just rationalizing... time will tell .. I definitely can't wait for one of my friends to buy one so I can shoot the two together and really have a better idea of the differences.
But, it definitely seems like a great rifle.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Anyone have experience shooting the 20" SFAR (recoil, accuracy, cycling, etc.? That's the one I want, hope to run it without a brake (just a thread protector) b/c I hear that boomer brake is ridiculous lol.

The Good News: Recoil is much lighter than I would expect with such a light .308, wearing just a T-shirt. Apparently a very good brake. A M14/M1A kicks more, IMO.

The Bad News: I’d loaded up 50 rounds of Tubbs Final Finish 175 gr. with 40.0 grains minimal load Varget, COAL 2.800” +/- .002” per Lyman. Would not go into battery on bolt release for each of several rounds. I had to insert a padded screwdriver to lever the bolt back. I carry an ammo can of POS POF headstamp “Paki” 7.62 x 51 for plinking. Out of 30+ rounds of that ammo, only one didn’t go into battery. Comparing my rounds with the “Paki”, the mil-surp ammo was slightly shorter. Averaging six rounds, their mean was 2.780”. Back at the bat cave, I gradually dialed the COAL down to 2.770”, which made for easy charging handle extraction. Hopefully, it’s just a tight chamber that will resolve with use, especially the Tubbs Final Finish.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
The Good News: Recoil is much lighter than I would expect with such a light .308, wearing just a T-shirt. Apparently a very good brake. A M14/M1A kicks more, IMO.

The Bad News: I’d loaded up 50 rounds of Tubbs Final Finish 175 gr. with 40.0 grains minimal load Varget, COAL 2.800” +/- .002” per Lyman. Would not go into battery on bolt release for each of several rounds. I had to insert a padded screwdriver to lever the bolt back. I carry an ammo can of POS POF headstamp “Paki” 7.62 x 51 for plinking. Out of 30+ rounds of that ammo, only one didn’t go into battery. Comparing my rounds with the “Paki”, the mil-surp ammo was slightly shorter. Averaging six rounds, their mean was 2.780”. Back at the bat cave, I gradually dialed the COAL down to 2.770”, which made for easy charging handle extraction. Hopefully, it’s just a tight chamber that will resolve with use, especially the Tubbs Final Finish.
Damn that’s a shame on the reliability issues, but I’m glad you got it running better, how was the accuracy?

·
Registered
20 Posts

I am by no means claiming to be the know-it-all expert at all, but I have been 'Rolling My Own' since 1974. Of those 48 years, I have been reloading for the 7.6sx51/308 for 40 of them in various forms (bolt action, single shot and semi auto). It has been my personal experience that the semi autos have been the pickiest.
I ended up going with Hodgdon's COAL of 2.750" and resorted to using RCBS Small base dies. I have fired loads of this dimension through a Remington 742, 4 different M1As and my Springfield Saint without a hiccup. I will be using the same method for my SAFR. As stated, this has been my experience. Your mileage may vary. I also ran into a similar situation with my 5.56/223 AR-15s. Same solution, small based dies.
Good luck with your SAFR!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Damn that’s a shame on the reliability issues, but I’m glad you got it running better, how was the accuracy?
Hard to tell with Pakistan ammo and at 25 meters, where 1 MOA is smaller than the bullet hole. I’ll let you know after I go out to 200.

I also ran into a similar situation with my 5.56/223 AR-15s. Same solution, small based dies.
Sounds like a new fangled thing! I used RCBS dies, but I didn’t know of the small-based dies. I’ll have to do some learning, darn it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sounds like a new fangled thing! I used RCBS dies, but I didn’t know of the small-based dies. I’ll have to do some learning, darn it.

Thanks!
Not sure how new, JRC. I've had mine for at least 30 years, maybe more. My process consists of sizing with a regular sizing die and then running them through the small bas die. It adds an extra step, but to me it's worth it.

RCBS has them listed for 223, 308 and 30-'06 and all show to be in stock.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
RCoulter, here’s what I ordered. I don’t recall RCBS offering AR-specific dies 20 years ago when I bought my RCBS dies, but I may have glossed over it since I was shooting M1A’s, CETME, and FAL at the time. Thanks for the heads-up!

·
Registered
20 Posts
RCoulter, here’s what I ordered. I don’t recall RCBS offering AR-specific dies 20 years ago when I bought my RCBS dies, but I may have glossed over it since I was shooting M1A’s, CETME, and FAL at the time. Thanks for the heads-up!

At the time I bought mine, they didn't mention AR specific rifles, just listed as small base. The shop where I bought all of my reloading stuff at the time, recommended them to me as I was shooting a Remington 742 and, once in a while, I would have a hiccup.
Good luck!

41 - 60 of 81 Posts