Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
"The Real Deal"
6,764 Posts
Glad to hear she's keeping you on your toes ... those dang Elves sure can get into mischief ...
Yes Eva was trying to drag away my bag of cheetos yesterday. I didn't mind since she looks like she needs to add a few pounds.:D

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
I have trifocals. I have a thin line of a third magnification in my bifocals. Ths line is set up to allow me to focus on sights of a handguns sights. What I do to avoid any problem with bringing a handgun to a doctors ofice. I bring a news magazine not aa gun magazine to the doctors office. I have a piece of duct tape on the end of the rolled up magazine. This substitutes for the front sight. I hold the magazine from one end in an isosiles stance and have the optician set the middle line of focus on that sight.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I'm up to Tri-focals now .

Thicker front sight and wider rear notch helps a good bit.

The real answer is a Red Dot sight or scope .

I had stopped shooting handguns because I could no longer "see" the sights. At a gun show I picked up a Ruger MKII with a Millet SP-1 Red Dot mounted on it ....
Oh my word , that red dot let me shoot and actually hit the target again...
It was a Revelation to me .
Since I don't shoot at extended ranges the red dot with a 3 moa does the trick for me .
Gary

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'm up to Tri-focals now .

Thicker front sight and wider rear notch helps a good bit.

The real answer is a Red Dot sight or scope .

I had stopped shooting handguns because I could no longer "see" the sights. At a gun show I picked up a Ruger MKII with a Millet SP-1 Red Dot mounted on it ....
Oh my word , that red dot let me shoot and actually hit the target again...
It was a Revelation to me .
Since I don't shoot at extended ranges the red dot with a 3 moa does the trick for me .
Gary
Agreed, but some handguns don't lend themselves to easy red dot or scope attachment ...

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Someone on the forum a couple years ago recommended going down in strength of what you use for reading and you can still see the front sight fairly clearly and the target won’t be a blob at normal handgun range. I went from my 1.75 readers back to an old pair of 1.0s and wow. I can focus on the front sight of my handguns and still see a bullseye on a paper target out to about 20 to 25 yards reasonably well. It really improved my handgun shooting by tightening groups.

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well I'm hoping the clip on readers will be here by the weekend so i can try em out ... Stay tuned ...

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I guess in reality it’s all give and take. The older you get the more help you need to see to shoot. The good part is, the less I can hear I don’t need as much hearing protection as I use to.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have worn trifocals for years. After cataract surgery I was a real mess because I used to be super nearsighted and now I can't see a darned thing up close - only far away! But that has no relation to shooting.

I have always had the middle trifocal portion of my lenses made wider and "deeper" - higher and also lower than what is normal - because that is really the part I use most - for computer use, cooking, eating, and of course for handgun shooting! The bifocal portion is very small at the bottom and only used for reading.

When I'm wearing my glasses in their proper position and look straight ahead I am using the trifocal part of the lens. For driving I can scoot the frames down just a tad and see distances fine.

It is your money: Tell them how you need your glasses made for your use!

I have safety glasses for shooting in the trifocal distance only. GREAT forcus on the front sight. Of course a target that is more than 7 yards away is a blur, but I aim for the middle of the blur and do just fine, thank you.

I probably don't need the special shooting glasses except for the added protection of the side shields, and sometimes forget to put them on when I'm at the range. But using my regular glasses to shoot is good practice for if I ever need to use my gun for SD purposes.

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well ... as long as the USPS doesn't mess up I should have my clip on readers by Saturday ... looking forward to another range visit to test them out ...

stay tuned ...

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Another Now I Know Moment - UPDATE

Well folks, I might have temporarily found an answer to my problem with the help of you guys. My clip on "readers" came today and tried them out and I'm seeing a big improvement with the clarity of the front sight of my Wrangler. They are a +1.50 power, I'm thinking I should have gone with a +2.00 or even a +2.50. When I have them on the distance stuff is a bit fuzzy now but the arms length sight is clearer, not perfect but better than without. Now to try them out in live action. Stay tuned for further updates ...

Attachments

·
Registered
387 Posts
Any pharmacy has a display full of reading glasses that you can try out. I once bought a few pairs so I could try them at home and return those I didn't want.

Once our eyes age our vision becomes a roller coaster of change. Some get cataracts that change everything, then they operate and slip in lenses that change everything, then your eyes still change so the lenses aren't perfect a few years down the road.

You have to break distances into reading, less than arm's length, from 3 feet to 20 or so and from there to infinity.

I've got a "distance" lens in my right (master) eye and a "midrange" lens in the other. I can shoot pistols well enough; without glasses, the front sight is a little blurry, the rear sight is fuzzier but both are clear enough that I can line them up successfully. Thankfully, the target is sharp at pistol ranges.

But I think a red dot is really the best solution. I put one on my 22/45 and am buying a Glock G40 MOS for hunting hogs.

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Any pharmacy has a display full of reading glasses that you can try out. I once bought a few pairs so I could try them at home and return those I didn't want.

Once our eyes age our vision becomes a roller coaster of change. Some get cataracts that change everything, then they operate and slip in lenses that change everything, then your eyes still change so the lenses aren't perfect a few years down the road.

You have to break distances into reading, less than arm's length, from 3 feet to 20 or so and from there to infinity.

I've got a "distance" lens in my right (master) eye and a "midrange" lens in the other. I can shoot pistols well enough; without glasses, the front sight is a little blurry, the rear sight is fuzzier but both are clear enough that I can line them up successfully. Thankfully, the target is sharp at pistol ranges.

But I think a red dot is really the best solution. I put one on my 22/45 and am buying a Glock G40 MOS for hunting hogs.
I dread the day my eye doc uses the C word ... cataracts are a pain but somewhat a simple fix ... I'm just hoping that my fairly inexpensive experiment will help ...

now let's talk pig hunting ... that's on my bucket list. ...

·
Registered
387 Posts
Cataracts end up being a blessing and not much of a curse.

I've worn glasses since I was 10 and couldn't read the blackboard at school. Wore them every minute of every day until the surgery about 8 years ago.
Since the cataracts were removed (and lenses inserted) I only wear glasses to read or drive or safety glasses when I shoot guns. Since I spend most of my time at home, I don't wear glasses probably 95% of the time.
The TV is 10 feet away, the computer monitor is 3 feet and both are perfectly in focus.

After the surgery you have to wear a hard patch for a day, that's it. Absolutely painless and your vision is 1000 times better than the distorted and color-shifted images you slowly got used to.

·
Registered
387 Posts
now let's talk pig hunting ... that's on my bucket list....
I've heard that hogs are showing up in SE Ohio but not that anyone is consistently killing any.

I've not hunted hogs yet even though I built a 6.5 Grendel AR just for that purpose.
There is not any quantity of hogs here in NM. Some are living in the river valley in the SE corner of the state but are hard to get to without off-road equipment (that I don't own).

I'm next to Texas and their millions of hogs but hunting has become big business and hunting ranches charge hundreds of $$$ a day.
Some landowners appreciate hunters killing hogs but naturally only allow those they know and trust.
There are public hunting areas but you need time and equipment for scouting and searching.

I'm working to develop contacts with some Texas hunters that will let me tag along...

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I've heard that hogs are showing up in SE Ohio but not that anyone is consistently killing any.

I've not hunted hogs yet even though I built a 6.5 Grendel AR just for that purpose.
There is not any quantity of hogs here in NM. Some are living in the river valley in the SE corner of the state but are hard to get to without off-road equipment (that I don't own).

I'm next to Texas and their millions of hogs but hunting has become big business and hunting ranches charge hundreds of $$$ a day.
Some landowners appreciate hunters killing hogs but naturally only allow those they know and trust.
There are public hunting areas but you need time and equipment for scouting and searching.

I'm working to develop contacts with some Texas hunters that will let me tag along...
The issues you speak of are the same issues we have here in Ohio for deer. The public hunting areas are over hunted and trying to get permission to hunt private property is like pulling teeth, possible but not easy. Yes there are pigs down in the southeast area of the state with no limit and no closed season as I recall. I don't think the quantity is high and having the time and place to scout is rough since i live a good 3-4 hours away. I would love to hunt Texas pigs but yes the $$$$$ to have an outfitter guide me is a tough one as well.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I picked these up to wear while working on my cars, the Fl heat makes me sweat pretty hard and my normal glasses just would stay on. These were quite clear so I tried them at the range and couldn't believe how clear those sights were. For the price these are really hard to beat. I like them enough to keep a set with my nightstand pistol...

Elvex RX-500C 1.5 Diopter Full Lens Magnifier Safety Glasses, Black Frame /Clear Lens https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KSJQC8W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_f4T8Db74JEX76

·
Registered
203 Posts
As I'm now knocking on the door of 70, my eyesight has really gone down hill. I can't hit squat with irons anymore. All my rifles already have scopes so I guess the next step is red dots on all my handguns! Relying on glasses at the range is one thing but I can't walk around with readers all the time, I trip over things too much! I need something I can use in a pinch even without any glasses on and red dots are the only thing that fills the bill. Unfortunately, the good one's are up there in price, so it will be a slow process for me. I'm waiting for the RMR's to go on sale this season & have my credit card standing by!
Cheers,
crkckr

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I picked these up to wear while working on my cars, the Fl heat makes me sweat pretty hard and my normal glasses just would stay on. These were quite clear so I tried them at the range and couldn't believe how clear those sights were. For the price these are really hard to beat. I like them enough to keep a set with my nightstand pistol...

Elvex RX-500C 1.5 Diopter Full Lens Magnifier Safety Glasses, Black Frame /Clear Lens https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KSJQC8W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_f4T8Db74JEX76
Those are nice, in my case I need my normal everyday glasses also ... those i would be afraid might distort my view if i put them on over my regular glasses ...

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm 61 so I've been visiting eye docs for some time now. I haven't yet found one that understands what I need for shooting. I recently learned that it's actually an optician's role in the eye care business to support a shooting sports enthusiast's special needs, rather than the optometrist's job. However, few opticians understand the upper technical levels of their profession either.

I recently stumbled upon this optician training video. You need to find an optician who understands the material here and can provide such services:

I hacked my prescription myself to permit a rotation of an intermediate distance add segment (very round frames) in my right lens to position it where it's needed for shooting. I'm using some cheap round frames. I needed to adjust the axis meridian to not mess up my slight astigmatism correction (cylinder) when the lens is rotated. If my hack to the cheap online-purchased lenses works well, I'll spend big bucks on a good optician to get exactly what I want. I should receive the glasses in the mail any day now.

In the meantime, through the years I've had the best results with stick-on peep holes on my glasses. They greatly increase depth of field and keep you looking through the same part of the lens (important, if you don't want a parallax error like shift from shot to shot). The downside of an aperture is darkens your view.

BTW, progressive lenses are terrible for shooting. Most of a progressive lens has distortions and it can result in significant shifts of optical path/alignment when the eye looks through a slightly different section of the lens. To check for this effect, bench your rifle securely and get a good cheek weld. Now, without moving your cheek, face, or eye, use your hand to move your glasses around a bit in front of your eye. Notice how your sight alignment changes? That produces a shift in POI!

I have a set of Eye Pal apertures (both sizes) but I've also made apertures with a fine tip soldering pencil to melt a hole in a piece of black electrical tape. Various aperture sizes can be made and tried.

The Hydrotac "stick-on bifocals" have too much distortion for my liking and they lack clarity, though many shooters like them.

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
thanks for the info ... i looked at the "stick on bi-focals" but felt they might have the distortion you talk about ...

21 - 40 of 45 Posts