Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know from browsing around this great site that this has been covered before. But being new here and new to Ruger I thought I would share my experience with my 345. I was always into handguns. I favor them above all else. I have to admit I was always against Ruger at first. I thought you were rolling the dice when it came to quality. I was a staunch 1911 and Glock fan. (I'm not knocking them) It happened I was in the market for a new 45 and I made a trip to the local gun shop and I saw the 345 sitting there, for some reason I seemed more drawn to this handgun then previous Rugers. After asking several questions,(I really trust the owner), I decided to give Ruger a chance. I bought several different hollow points and ball ammo and went to the range. I set up my target loaded up the mags and... wow!!! Two inch group right off the bat!!! The rest of the day I spent trying different ammo with the same results. I even tried to make it jam and was not able to. I did things that would have jammed my Glocks and my 1911, but, the Ruger did not miss at all. I took it with me for our weapon re-qual at work yesterday. I passed it around, let everyone there shoot it. All said there was probably 750 rounds put through it yesterday. Not one malfunction at all!!! By the way, I purposely did not clean it after my initial range session to see how it would function dirty. They may not sound like much but if you think about it, I went to range three times before I took it to work yesterday. That was four trips to the range, probably over 1300 rounds without a cleaning!!! It did not miss a beat. I gave it a good cleaning and it now has replaced my $1300 1911 as my carry gun. This is by far the best 45 I have ever shot. There will be several new Rugers in my future!!! Sorry for the long post and thank you for your time, Frank.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Good to hear! Make sure you pay heed to the warning in the Owners Manual and do NOT dry fire it with the magazine out of the pistol.

Again, congrats on a fine CCW firearm.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Congrats on the P345. I just love mine and it has around 1500 plus rounds through it. Had a few hiccups with wolf steel case ammo but with brass ammo it zooms along. I had Ruger send a new rear sight as mine was shooting 1 1/2 to 2" low and the new sight fixed it. I also use the Pro-Mag 10 rounder mags from CDNN and they work great and having 11 rounds of 45 is nice.

Robert

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Impressive performance. Still has me thinking.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Hey how does that gun compare in size to the P95? It looks quite a bit smaller to me, but I've never held one.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Well I'm useing the holster from my P-95 for my P-345 and it fits fine,so I'd say they are about the same size.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
The whole reason I purchased the P345PR was because it is easier for me, 160 pounds, to conceal than the thicker P95DPR.

To show the width difference, these are the slide stops from each...

There's probably 1/4" difference in width. About the same heigth, top of the rear sight to the base of the magazine. And about 3/8" longer for the P345 overall length.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
quote:Originally posted by EddieF

Hey how does that gun compare in size to the P95? It looks quite a bit smaller to me, but I've never held one.
Hold one and you'll love it... Shoot one and you'll buy it...

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Well it sure is a handsome gun. Another thing to look out for at the next gun show!

How does the .45 recoil compare to the .357s shot out of my GP100? I don't think I've ever shot a .45.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
EddieF
Recoil of most .45's is more like a gentle , big push, compared to a sharp-jolt for the .357 mag. I find the .45 more pleasant to shoot.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
pafrank,
No need to worry about the long post my coffee needed time to cool off lol, thanks for the good report on the Ruger auto's.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Congrats pafrank I to have a P345 and simply love it.:D I am currently looking to put a new Hi Viz front site on it. I have a hard time picking up the site.

I reload for it and everytime I work up a new load to try out it feeds, fires, and is almost always accurate. Like you said it's nearly impossible to make it hiccup!

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
I have 2 and love them. I used to have a P90, KP90D and a KP97D. I kept my favorite and sold the rest.:D

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
quote:Originally posted by RNettles

The whole reason I purchased the P345PR was because it is easier for me, 160 pounds, to conceal than the thicker P95DPR.

To show the width difference, these are the slide stops from each...

There's probably 1/4" difference in width. About the same heigth, top of the rear sight to the base of the magazine. And about 3/8" longer for the P345 overall length.
Great way to show the width difference! I wouldn't have thought to do that. I also have a 345 and a 95. I knew the 345 was slimmer, but didn't realize how much.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts