·
Wandering Sandlapper
3,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Link worked for me.

Good thing that .357 ammo is longer, specifically so won't fit in .38-only revolvers. I once checked this on an S&W 10 just to be sure -- the cylinder won't close as the base of the rounds stick out. I was only checking out of curiosity; I wouldn't be stupid enough to fire even if it did fit.

Does anybody know of any .38s that .357 ammo will fit into such that it could be fired, turning that gun into a hand grenade?

·
Wandering Sandlapper
3,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmmm. Opened for me, but it is slow.

here is the url without a link, although it appears RF imbeds it as a hyperlink in anyway.

Consumer Notice 38 Special +P

Here's the text:

Remington/UMC 38 Special +P Packaging Mix

CONSUMER NOTICE

Remington has determined that one specific lot code of the 100 round box of 38 SPECIAL+P 125 GRAIN SEMI-JACKETED HOLLOW POINT (L38S2B) ammunition, may contain 357 Magnum ammunition. This packaging mix is specific to lot number: P24UA18R only. DO NOT USE. Usage of 357 Magnum ammunition in 38 Special firearms could result in firearm damage and personal injury.

DO NOT USE

Remington/UMC 38 Special +P 125 Gr. semi-jacketed hollow point Ammunition with Lot Number: P24UA18R

To identify if you have one of these Lots of ammunition:

If you have a case of 38 Special +P 125 Gr. Semi-Jacketed Ammunition the Lot Number is stenciled on the outside of the case; and,
If you have a box of 38 Special +P 125 Gr. Semi-Jacketed Ammunition the Lot Number is stamped on the inside flap of the box.

If you have any of this Remington/UMC 38 Special +P 125 Gr. Semi-Jacketed Ammunition, as identified above, immediately discontinue use of this ammunition and contact Remington at the below telephone number. Remington will arrange for the return shipment of your ammunition and upon receipt will send you replacement ammunition at no cost to you.

For any consumer questions or instructions on how to return of your Remington/UMC 38 Special +P 125 Gr. Semi-Jacketed Ammunition with Lot Number P24UA18R, please contact the Remington Consumer Service Department at: 1-800-243-9700, Prompt #4. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Safety First

Always observe the Ten Commandments of Firearm Safety and wear approved eye and ear protection anytime you are shooting.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Wait, what?

Is this overloaded .38 cases, or is it in fact .357 mag cases in the boxes?

If so, .357 should not chamber in a .38SPCL...

:confused::confused::confused:

ADDING:

.357 Mag shouldn't even fit in the box...

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Wait, what?

Is this overloaded .38 cases, or is it in fact .357 mag cases in the boxes?

If so, .357 should not chamber in a .38SPCL...

:confused::confused::confused:

ADDING:

.357 Mag shouldn't even fit in the box...
I was wondering about that too. Obviously, very hot .38s are way more dangerous. They'd almost guarantee a law suit. Even way back 80 years ago when you couldn't yet sue over everything, lawyers knew you had to make .357s longer so it wouldn't chamber in a .38.

I'm not sure about fitting in the box. Some ammo is packed more compactly than others -- for example I just compared a Blazer .38 box to a Fiocchi .357 box and the .357 box is actually marginally shorter despite containing cartridges that are longer.

·
Registered
649 Posts
From the pic on the link, it looks (to me) like the cartridges are packed in a slider tray; 5 to a row alternating up/down like old .22 Ammo...

There should not be enough height to the box to allow .357's to stand up in the tray inside the carton...

As you say, if these are indeed .357 charges in .38SPCL cases, that is a VERY bad thing...

·
Registered
80 Posts
I too would be curious to see what this actually is. If it is simply .357 ammo in a 38spl box, it would be really obvious, and wouldn't even fit in a 38spl chamber, and that is how I read the recall. If it is overloaded 38spl cases holy cow, that is extraordinarily dangerous. I stopped using UMC after a friend bought a bulk 250 pack which contained a bunch of duds (15+). This is just another reason to stay away, they really need to get their act together.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I just called Remington as I have a box of that ammo. It has the recalled number on the outside of the box but a different number on the inside flap. They said it is not the recalled ammo and is safe to use. But I think I'll use it in my 357 gun just to be safe.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I stopped using UMC after a friend bought a bulk 250 pack which contained a bunch of duds (15+). This is just another reason to stay away, they really need to get their act together.
Pretty depressing experience there. I've only been shooting for 4 years and I can count the exact number of duds I've ever found, seeing how it's so rare. In CF ammo it was a grand total of 6, where 5 were the fault of the gun. 5 rounds of Blazer .44 Mag failed to fire on the first hit in a rental S&W 629. The springs were clearly worn out, so light strikes. Every one of them went off on the second try. A box of PMC ammo, which must have more sensitive primers, worked flawlessly despite the worn out springs. One 9mm handload bought from a LGS failed, with the primer falling out of it after being hit.

Even when it comes to bulk .22 I've had pretty good luck. I know I've gone as long as 800 rounds without a FTF even using the cheapest Federal bulk there is. And I think even then every .22 fired after being hit a second time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts