Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
I have one of those too. It's an excellent shooter. Mine had some custom work by a good friend who was a gunsmith. Unfortunately he passed last year. He smoothed up the action, bobbed the hammer a bit, installed a Weigand Machine & Design rear sight blade, made a custom ramp front sight that is a little narrower than usual that shows more light on each side, slightly beveled the rear of the chambers to facilitate quicker reloads, smoothed the face of the trigger and custom fit Hogue grips to fit my hand.
102_0716_zpsacbad7d6.jpg

·
Registered
719 Posts
Congratulations! I have always heard good things about those 625 jm’s

·
Grand Inquisitor
2,012 Posts
What a handsome wheelgun. Just got my .45 acp Colt M1917 back from the smith, with a new nose on the hammer, and will shoot it tomorrow.

Let us know how it goes on the range and which moon clips work best for you.

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Nice! Congrats! A JM version to boot! That thing looks amazing!
Ya just can't beat a good .45 caliber wheelie-gun!
A 625 has been on my radar since their inception in 1989...
But, sadly, it'll probably always be on the 'want' list!

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
Very nice revolver. I still kick myself for passing one up about twenty years ago. I agree with brnwlms on the moon clip loader from BMT. I have one for my 9mm and they are worth the money,

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am looking at a couple moon clip loaders but just haven't made up my mind yet. I am gonna try to get out soon to shoot it If it ever stop raining around here. My gunsmith buddy is going to do his magic on this make it functioned just like I used to have it more than 20 years ago.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What a handsome wheelgun. Just got my .45 acp Colt M1917 back from the smith, with a new nose on the hammer, and will shoot it tomorrow.

Let us know how it goes on the range and which moon clips work best for you.
I snoozed twice the past few months ago on them 1917's model and regretted it.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have a 625 and absolutely love it. My advice is to get BMT mooner/demooner. I have one for every moon clip revolver I have and they make the difference.
View attachment 155934
Have the same gun with the TK Customs Mooner/Demooner. Have to admit those clown grips make me laugh every time I see them. I think I took them off on the way home! It’s had the Smith rubbers on since. It really is a treat to shoot tho. Have a Bisley convertible in 45, but the 625 is just a tad better in my opinion. Still do enjoy range day with the pair.

·
One Star
10,444 Posts
I am a proud owner of a S&W JM 625-8 .45 ACP 4" Revolver. too.

Reactions: Phish

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Shot the Smith today and shoots great. Will have my gunsmith buddy work on it especially the trigger face as i dont like target style. Other than that is smooth action that requires no more work in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have one of those too. It's an excellent shooter. Mine had some custom work by a good friend who was a gunsmith. Unfortunately he passed last year. He smoothed up the action, bobbed the hammer a bit, installed a Weigand Machine & Design rear sight blade, made a custom ramp front sight that is a little narrower than usual that shows more light on each side, slightly beveled the rear of the chambers to facilitate quicker reloads, smoothed the face of the trigger and custom fit Hogue grips to fit my hand.
View attachment 155922
Hey rman what width weigand sight blade you get? Looked at them online and looks like i need to get one.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Hey rman what width weigand sight blade you get? Looked at them online and looks like i need to get one.
Mine is a .125" blade, but my ramp front is about .100". With my old eyes, I need to see plenty of light on each side of the front sight. It makes it quicker to pick up also.

Reactions: Phish
1 - 16 of 16 Posts