Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang. My wife purchased a new Mark 3 yesterday afternoon from our LGS. Brought it home and was looking it over before cleaning it to take to the range. During her familiarization with the pistol she inserted a mag and seated it BACKWARDS. Yikes. I tried to remove it as any dutiful husband but no luck. Off to the internet. Found out that this was not an unusual problem for the Mark3s. Even read an old thread on our forum dealing with this issue. I have ordered the MagOut tool last night. If this doesn't do the trick it will be off to Ruger Customer Service. Very frustrating night for both of us. We are long time pistol lovers and owners and had never run up against this issue before. We have always owned .45s and 9mms. Don't know if anyone can assist at this point but I am venting some frustration here. Maybe when all is said and done I'll paint some arrows on the mags indicating the correct direction to insert. :eek: Thanks for listening. Sigh.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Do not worry, if you have ordered the MagOut tool you will have the situation remedied very quickly once it arrives to your home. Basically what is happening is your magazine is stuck by the upper front window in the mag body, the place near the top which is designed to interact with the trigger by the magazine disconnector safety hook. When Mark III magazine is inserted backwards the window is aligned with the mag safety lever and causes the jam. Much like a barbed fishook, once you try to pull down on the magazine the hooked end of the magazine safety lever is set into the window opening and thus locking the magazine into the frame. No amount of pulling will release the mag, unless you are willing to destroy the mag or damage the gun internally. I sympathize with you, this can be very frustrating when you are out with a new pistol and something happens to prevent its further use. This is a rare occurrence and you will likely only use the tool one time, but a valuable lesson will have been learned to carefully verify the magazine's direction before insertion into the frame.

Hope you have it back in operation soon.

R,
Bullseye

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bullseye. Hard lesson well learned.

·
Premium Member
3,339 Posts
As this is a .22, I am sure it was not purchased for any sort of self-defense. If is was, it is now unreliable in the extreme for your wife. Perhaps she needs a revolver, depending on your intent?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. It was purchased as a fun plinker and tin can shooter. She packs her .45 CCW.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
I feel for ya, OP. If your wife has a sense of humor, you may want to remind her that the pointy ends of the bullets go towards the front of the gun. :)

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
I feel for ya, OP. If your wife has a sense of humor, you may want to remind her that the pointy ends of the bullets go towards the front of the gun. :)
Still living dangerously though..... ;) :D

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank goodness she does. ME? Meh, not so much in this case although when she reminds me of all my own "gunsmithing" fubars I just gotta smile. Moving on, if the Mag-Out tool is not successful its going back to Ruger asap! LOL.

·
Registered
88 Posts
A question to all

I have a question for all of you.

Does designing a pistol/mag that allows the mag to be inserted backwards seem like a sound design? I would argue that it is a horrible design, and one that Ruger should correct going forward. I only have an old Standard, so I really don't understand how the mag is shaped to allow it to be inserted backwards, but any firearm that allows the mag to be inserted backwards is a bad design in my thinking.

What do the rest of you think? No one seems to be talking about the design flaw, just how to fix it. Eliminate the flaw and the problem goes away...

Maybe I'm missing something...maybe I'm committing sacrilege talking this way about Ruger design on the forum, but still you have to admit it's a bad design.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I caught my wife trying to do the same. So I used a gold paint pen, and put direction arrows on both sides of the mag.

·
Registered
490 Posts
+ on bad design.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a question for all of you.

Does designing a pistol/mag that allows the mag to be inserted backwards seem like a sound design? I would argue that it is a horrible design, and one that Ruger should correct going forward. I only have an old Standard, so I really don't understand how the mag is shaped to allow it to be inserted backwards, but any firearm that allows the mag to be inserted backwards is a bad design in my thinking.

What do the rest of you think? No one seems to be talking about the design flaw, just how to fix it. Eliminate the flaw and the problem goes away...

Maybe I'm missing something...maybe I'm committing sacrilege talking this way about Ruger design on the forum, but still you have to admit it's a bad design.
Well this was first ever for me! Owned LOTS of firearms in my 65+ years. This is the FIRST time I have ever seen a mag go in backwards and stick solid. Don't know what to think about this. Might be a good idea if Ruger would look into this issue. I found tons of folks out there on the internet who have experienced the same thing. Gotta be a design thing. Love my Rugers and own more than a couple of them. Prolly will not pick up another Mark 3.
Murphy's Law "If it can go wrong it will and at the worst possible time". I believe Murphy was an optimist. My .02 worth. It does remind me of a time in SE Asia when a young Sgt tried to place a mag backwards into a 1911 during a fire fight. Didn't fit and didn't get stuck. But that's another story for another day with many adult beverages. LOL :eek:

·
Registered
805 Posts
After reading this the problem is the useless magazine safety which causes other aggravations as well. I had a Mark III and the magazine safety was one of the reasons I no longer have it, that and the loaded chamber indicator hanging off the side. Every time I picked the thing up it made me wish I had hung onto my Mark I.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I tried that one but it was not successful either. Attempted "my" solutions and they also failed. That's when I ordered the Mag Out tool. All else fails it's back to Ruger :)

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
The video might be better if he were to show where the hex key aligns above the frame as well as atop the magazine while it is out of the frame. I don't have one of these to look at up close and personal but the video is so quick it is hard to tell exactly where the key is being inserted. Looks like it is between the mag and the frame rather than inside the body of the magazine.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Hey Gang. My wife purchased a new Mark 3 yesterday afternoon from our LGS. Brought it home and was looking it over before cleaning it to take to the range. During her familiarization with the pistol she inserted a mag and seated it BACKWARDS. Yikes. I tried to remove it as any dutiful husband but no luck. Off to the internet. Found out that this was not an unusual problem for the Mark3s. Even read an old thread on our forum dealing with this issue. I have ordered the MagOut tool last night. If this doesn't do the trick it will be off to Ruger Customer Service. Very frustrating night for both of us. We are long time pistol lovers and owners and had never run up against this issue before. We have always owned .45s and 9mms. Don't know if anyone can assist at this point but I am venting some frustration here. Maybe when all is said and done I'll paint some arrows on the mags indicating the correct direction to insert. :eek: Thanks for listening. Sigh.
Always keep your magazines loaded, the rounds will point towards the front site. ;) :p

1 - 20 of 36 Posts