Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
"The Real Deal"
7,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I was in the grocery store earlier and open carrying. I do have a cc license, and most of the time I carry concealed. However this evening my cc gun of choice was in another vehicle. So I was open carrying my glock 19. So the thought hit me as I was walking around with the wife. I always see alot of bad commemts about open carry ,like he must be trying to make a statement, or advance a certain agenda, or maybe they are looking for trouble. I assure you i am not any of these, just minding my own business, and protecting my own from danger. More so I see it like a fire extinguisher, its good when I need it, but the rest of the time its not my focus, other than maintenance, and staying proficient with its use. However the thought I had was I wonder how many potential robberies, or other trouble are averted by someone open carrying. I mean it would be hard to calculate since most will be unaware of potential danger, but it may cause a criminal from not doing anything, or in other words a deterent. So I thought how effective is it deterring bad people from doing bad things. I do realize that carrying open does in a way bring attention to you in a bad way, or single you out, however could it be in a good way as well? Its an interesting thought and I am curious of other peoples take on this stance. What are your thoughts lets hear them.;)

·
Registered
379 Posts
This path is so well worn, it's becoming a ditch. The OC advocates believe it's a deterrent to crime. CC types, (like me), believe it makes you a greater target of opportunity. Happened a few weeks back. A couple bad guys followed an OC type into the rest room at a Home Depot. Jumped him, took his weapon. Luckily, they didn't shoot him with it. I don't expect that changed anyone's mind. Either will any of the pro/con entries that follow mine. Do what you think is right.

·
"The Real Deal"
7,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I normally reside in the rifle area of the forum, so I missed the discussion on the topic, but I value everyones point of view. I never thought about the instance of being followed , beaten, and I taken from you. To be sure, well atleast I am a persom thats hyper aware of my my surrondings, people, environemnt etc. It also puts into effect my wife is carrying as well, so thats another aspect of it. I believe that if you decide to carry open or concealed that you should be totally aware of your environment, if it causes more of threat to me by open carryimg I do not, I carry concealed, but on occassion I do open carry. I see alot of others open carrying in my travels, maybe its just typical in my region of the country. Its not unusual to see people carrying around here. I am just curious as to the theory of effectiveness of open carry as a deterrent.

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
Well, you can blame the morons on YouTube for giving OCing such a bad name. You know the types I mean. Those who OC with their cams going and deliberately hang around places they know will get attention from cops hoping for a confrontation to record it and put it on YouTube in hopes it becomes viral and they become internet superstars.

I for one prefer CCWing because I like being under the radar and not attracting attention to myself. Plus, if God forbid I needed to use my gun to defend myself or others, I will have the element of surprise. OCers don't have that option and therefore puts them in greater danger. As for OCing being a deterrent to crimes, I don't believe so. If anything it makes you a greater target to a thief. Much like wearing an overly expensive watch clearly visible.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
This path is so well worn, it's becoming a ditch. The OC advocates believe it's a deterrent to crime. CC types, (like me), believe it makes you a greater target of opportunity. Happened a few weeks back. A couple bad guys followed an OC type into the rest room at a Home Depot. Jumped him, took his weapon. Luckily, they didn't shoot him with it. I don't expect that changed anyone's mind. Either will any of the pro/con entries that follow mine. Do what you think is right.
If that is the same one I read, the victim was not open carrying as per the police report. He was concealing XD in the small of his back, covered by his shirt. He was attacked by ONE person at a urinal, and that person ran to a waiting car with the other suspect.

There is a video of a CCer in a small store being robbed of his concealed carry gun, I will dig for it. If you are going to conceal, then conceal, and pay attention just the same as you would for open carrying.

http://www.kdrv.com/news/Man_Assaulted_Robbed_of_Firearm_in_Walmart_Bathroom.html

Police say that a 25-year-old victim entered Walmart just after 9:00PM. They say he was carrying a Springfield XD 40-caliber handgun in a holster in the back of his waistband. The handgun was partially concealed by his shirt.

The victim had a concealed handgun license, authorizing him to carry concealed.

It was actually a Walmart, and the victim had his shirt covering the XD, I would imagine he was printing through the shirt. Small of the back is an open invitation to have a gun grabbed, whether OC, or CC.

·
"The Real Deal"
7,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maser, walking wolf, thanks for your input. I agree that its ridiculous to open carry to provoke a confrontation, that thought has never crossed my mind, and I feel sorry for the people who feel they need to do so, its just ignorant. Just because you can doesn't always mean you should. That be like carrying an long gun around, I have several firearms that are deemed "weapons of war", and i have never had the urge to carry one around for provocation or any other reason umless going to the range, thats it. Plus it would be aggravating carrying around a long gun. I am actually careful in the time of being visible when carrying them to the truck for a range trip. I also agree that if your going to carry concealed, do just that, totally concealed, if its slighty visible, its not concealed according to law where I am from. I realize that their is no one all be all, for some concealed carry is perfect, and some open carry is perfect, I have no intention on praising one is better, each have positives, and negatives. Its up to the individual as to whats right for them. I am just curious of others opinioms and if open carry is a deterrent, or is a benefit, thats all.

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
The ditch is a deep trench. LOL.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,008 Posts
Ah, the topic of conspicuous and pointless open carry of long arms has come up again.

All right, boys and girls. Can well all repeat along once again with Jeff Cooper? ...

Our sidearm is our defensive weapon for when we aren't expecting a fight. Our long arm is our weapon for when we are expecting a fight.

Nicely done!!!

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
If that is the same one I read, the victim was not open carrying as per the police report. He was concealing XD in the small of his back, covered by his shirt. He was attacked by ONE person at a urinal, and that person ran to a waiting car with the other suspect.

There is a video of a CCer in a small store being robbed of his concealed carry gun, I will dig for it. If you are going to conceal, then conceal, and pay attention just the same as you would for open carrying.

KDRV.com | Man Assaulted, Robbed of Firearm in Walmart Bathroom

Police say that a 25-year-old victim entered Walmart just after 9:00PM. They say he was carrying a Springfield XD 40-caliber handgun in a holster in the back of his waistband. The handgun was partially concealed by his shirt.

The victim had a concealed handgun license, authorizing him to carry concealed.

It was actually a Walmart, and the victim had his shirt covering the XD, I would imagine he was printing through the shirt. Small of the back is an open invitation to have a gun grabbed, whether OC, or CC.
100% his fault for letting his guard down, IMO.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I started a topic on OC in Texas and who would be OC after Jan. 1st , 2016 ? I was glad to see that almost every response was NO . I agree with Donn , I personally think OC'ing makes you a target for someone to try to disarm you at an inconvenient time . I'm 61 and not that strong so if caught off guard I could be over taken . So I prefer to CC so that my age does not make me a target for my gun .

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
I'm torn over the issue of open carry. On the one hand, I think that responsible, thoughtful and respectful open carry (i.e. handgun, dressed neatly, not trying to cause a scene) would go a long way toward getting the rest of society to realize that guns aren't the problem, bad people with guns are the problem. However, the small minority of people who openly carry in order to "make a statement" (often with long arms) or cause a confrontation are attracting all the media attention.

From a purely practical point of view, open carry means being situationally aware 100% of the time, since everyone with eyesight will know that you're carrying and there will always be somebody who wants to grab your gun, either because they're a criminal or because they're an idiot. One of the things that was pounded into me in the police academy was keeping control of my sidearm at all times - not letting anyone get close enough to grab it and how to keep control of it if they did get in close. Personally, when I'm out at the store or walking down the street, I prefer to be able to relax my vigilance a bit.

With concealed carry, you still have to be vigilant, but not to the same degree. Part of the vigilance has to be about keeping the gun concealed, as recent news stories have demonstrated. However, since a well-concealed gun won't attract the criminals and crazies, I can relax, just a bit, in my anonymity.

Jim

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I started a topic on OC in Texas and who would be OC after Jan. 1st , 2016 ? I was glad to see that almost every response was NO . I agree with Donn , I personally think OC'ing makes you a target for someone to try to disarm you at an inconvenient time . I'm 61 and not that strong so if caught off guard I could be over taken . So I prefer to CC so that my age does not make me a target for my gun .
Texas' OC law is stupid though, by my understanding you have to have the CHL (or similar) to OC, to me, there is no point to open carry. It already hard enough finding places to patron that allow licensed conceal carry.

·
Banned
365 Posts
I'll put in my $.02 on this subject

When I am in areas where there are few people to bother me about it, such as on forest trails or in the desert here in AZ, I'll open carry. I am open carrying for protection from mainly 4 legged and slithering venomous critters in this situation, although there could be a 2 legged critter I need to protect myself from.

When I am in a populated area I will either cover the gun and holster by putting on a jacket (when cool enough) or wearing an oversize shirt so that it is less obvious that I am carrying, or carry pepper spray. But I am constantly on guard for anyone that could become a threat when I am in a populated area, and I try to avoid the "bad areas" of any town that I do go to.

Again, this is just my opinion, and as many have said, "Opinions are like belly buttons, everybody has one".

·
Super Moderator
21,398 Posts
I CC but have no objection to either. OC is legal in NH but you rarely see it outside of the woods. I typically carry concealed in my front pocket and if I feel uncomfortable with how someone is acting then I put my hand in my pocket. This seemingly innocent gesture means I have a j-frame in my hand and ready for action if needed and no one is really the wiser.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Here in Arizona open carry is a way of life. No big deal.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I live in the country, hence when I have a need I can go either way, concealed or open carry.

When I go to town I conceal.

And if by any chance my carrying becomes noticed I just continue what I was doing.

No big deal. Like walking around with your fly unzipped. A quick apology, if needed, an even quicker zip up and away I go. :D

·
Registered
634 Posts
One other thing, open carry allows for some very impressive protest gatherings. The dust up and stand off in the BLM versus Rancher thing in Nevada is an example. The photos of men in civilian clothes aiming rifles at uniformed LEO's were rather stunning.
Pictures of LEO's aiming rifles at civilian crowds and individuals (and into windows in Boston) have, alas, become commonplace.

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
If you open carry do it discretely. LIke Massod Ayoob showed in a recent article. Dark black clothing dark black holster and a glock barely noticeable.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Don't mean to cloud the issue but I will share a recent personal event. We were downsizing making regular trips to the Salvation Army. On a recent visit a senior citizen (my age) ,on a cane,came out of the store area with what looked like one of the new S&W autos in a leather holster. I engaged him in conversation where he insisted he show me his handgun. He could not pull the gun from the holster-it was stuck. He did remove the magazine showing off his 9mm hollow points. It does not take a rocket scientist to come up with many possible negative outcomes in this instance. I personally think the comments on potential risk of OP are right-on. I'll share my experiences getting my carry permit on another day.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Like a previous poster said - I also live in the country. Crime rate is almost zero thankfully. I feel free to OC on my place working around it. Enough snakes and sneaky 4 footed beasties that make an available side arm handy to have around. When I go to town it's concealed all the way in an IWB covered with a dark shirt. Never had an issue [yet] with printing. No one around here is watching except for maybe other CCWs. I drive over to the Big City and you bet I am CCW all the way. Some strange folks live over there. LOL.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.