Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have owned this Ruger #1 30/06 "Made In 200th Year Of American Liberty" since 1978. It has a 26 inch barrel and maybe has had two boxes of shells shot through it. Original owner / friend gave me the remaining 12 rounds from the box he bought with it. I sighted it in with the Tasco 3x9 scope on it with 10 rounds and have shot 1 elk and 5 deer, each with one shot before deciding it was to nice to carry in the woods and snowy weather hunting central and eastern Oregon. Just moved to Arizona and no longer hunting at 73 years. I may want to sell this wonderful rifle but have no idea of what price ask for it. Zero rust, minimal to no wear. I had the trigger mechanics polished by a gunsmith in 1978 to make it super smooth.
Any help appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
Can't be of much help on actual value where you are, but I will note that a No. 1 of that age (and with the "200 year" stamp) will be reduced in value due to the fact that the stock has been cut and a non-factory ventilated pad added.
Wood figure also usually "figures" prominently in we No. 1 loonies' assessment of value.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Can't be of much help on actual value where you are, but I will note that a No. 1 of that age (and with the "200 year" stamp) will be reduced in value due to the fact that the stock has been cut and a non-factory ventilated pad added.
Wood figure also usually "figures" prominently in we No. 1 loonies' assessment of value.
It all depends on whether you are selling it as a shooter or a collector. To a shooter, the pad is a plus, as is the trigger work. I cannot comment on the stock being cut.

I agree it is no longer a collector's rifle but it sounds like a fine shooter. You might want to mention LOP if offering it for sale. As we say, a rifle is worth what someone will pay. Your rifle could sell somewhere between $700 and $900. I would not sell it for less and could not expect to get more unless the buyer was the kind of guy who bids on GB with no sense. There are plenty of those out there, so who knows?

The Tasco scope adds no value to the sale. Just yesterday, I was speaking with a friend about Tasco scopes. He told me a story of a time he was selling a rifle, with a Tasco scope attached, at a gun show, . Several potential buyers looked at his rifle but grumbled about the scope being a Tasco and walked away. In frustration, my friend took off the scope and threw it in the trash. A few minutes later, the rifle sold, at the same price my friend had asked for the rifle with the scope.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks all for the information, stock trimmed a little by a gunsmith (short arms) and vented pad installed to make a better hunter. I agree, never wanted it as a "collector" just a collector of meats. I won't shoot anything less than 3 points (western count). Blessed with large Elk (over 700 pounds hanging weight) at 400 plus yards, and my largest mule deer ever - 4 point estimated at 300 pounds on the hoof. I know that doesn't make the value higher, just had to brag on the gun a little....and maybe for how good the Tasco scope (at least this one) really is.
Cheers.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Unfortunately, the Tasco scope is disrespected, but I can certainly agree that it's very good. I took one on my 30-06 to Africa and made six 1- Shot kills of various game all at 100 yards or more... A great scope.
Back to your original question, I agree with Slowshot, you shouldn't take less than $700 for your No. 1

1 - 5 of 5 Posts