Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This guy, his website/company name is rrages, is making these mounts for Red Dots that mount in the rear sight dovetail. He has posted on perfectunion and firearmstalk showing them, but doesn't give any info on them. They look really slick, and mount more than one type of red dot. I like the fact that it is out of the way of the bolt, as I don't like how high optics mounted on over the receiver rails are, and the fact that most make it difficult to remove the bolt or brass hits them or the optic.

But I'll stick with my Burris FF III set up on the Ultimak. With the turn of a screw using a coin, or back of a knife blade, my Red Dot can come off in seconds, and a pair of very nice iron sights are ready for action. I like having the optic further from the eye for increased "situational awareness", and the FF III with Protector mount is much better shielded from impact than his set up.

But, another option for Mini dot mounting is a good thing. Maybe guys that don't have an Ultimak or Amega will buy one.
If you don't have an Ultimak, and are O.K. with the Burris, and still want to have your rear sight in place and zeroed for backup, you could mount one like this, the mount is about $43:

·
Registered
365 Posts
I saw the post on PU and promptly asked for info. Almost a day later and still no reply. I'd be very leery of doing business with this guy. Who attempts to market a product without posting a single word.

I'd never go that route anyhow. Your Burris and Ultimak setup is the way to go.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I recently installed the Amega mount on my 185 series. Searched for years for a good solid mount before coming across this one. I do like the way the rrager looks. Don't know if it would fit on my old mini.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
No, Bozz, rrages says it is only for the new 580+ series. Since you have the Amega, you have the best place to mount a sight, and you don't have to remove your rear peep to do it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I saw that post on PU also. While Iam sure that the guy makes a quality product, I refuse to give up my iron sight. I would use the UltiMak rail or one of the others before I removed my irons.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I saw that post on PU also. While Iam sure that the guy makes a quality product, I refuse to give up my iron sight. I would use the UltiMak rail or one of the others before I removed my irons.
^^^^^ What He Said ^^^^^

·
Banned
513 Posts
I would like to have the rear mount with a rail on top. My mini doesn't have irons, and it is far enough back to dodge light speed case ejection:) But I would put something a little bigger than the little reflex sight on it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Pre-order for first delivery of Feb 1, 2016. Not really keen on that along as the iron sight being taken off. But still it has gotten me thinking more...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts