Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well once again Talo is introducing another winner, IMO. I really enjoy my Wiley Clapp inspired SP, especially the Novak sights. This new model is basically the standard model, except it is Cerakoted black! I know its not a blued model, but the closest I've seen yet. If this new dist. exclusive also had the Novak sights on it, I would already be putting in my order! What do you guys think?

Ruger® SP101® * Double-Action Revolver Model 5779

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I think you should have your Wiley Clapp SP Cerakoted black. Either do it yourself or find a local Cerakote applicator and have it done. No reason to buy another SP to get the black finish. You might be surprised at how inexpensive it is to have your SP101 Cerakoted. I've done a couple of GP100s and it would be a nice Saturday afternoon project as a DIY'er. I would personally polish some accents like the ejector rod, hammer pivot pin, cylinder release button, hammer and trigger but that's just me. You could have a real looker there.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Just for the sake of discussion here's an example in a GP100. The polished accents give it just a bit of "bling" and some contrast. Perhaps not desired for a CCW but otherwise attractive IMO.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I like it. I'd like it even better as a 3" and even better with the sight upgrade.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Looks good. It may not be blued but if Ruger is listening they really should consider offering the SP101 in blue. I'd want one.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Looks good. It may not be blued but if Ruger is listening they really should consider offering the SP101 in blue. I'd want one.
Yeah I've said that before and this does nothing to diminish that thought. I'd still like it better as a 3" with a better front sight.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Waveform,
Honestly I hadn't even thought of cerakoting my SP. it's a heck of a good idea though. I'll do some research for sure!

I like the look. Very classy in Cerakote... Until... Well... Just shoot it. ;)
Is there some problem with Cerakote? I am only asking because I do not know. The way you make it sound, it's perhaps difficult to clean? Let me know! The world of Cerakoted firearms is completely new to me

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I've put approximately 500 rounds through the Cerakoted revolver I posted the photo of above. The finish is incredibly durable and because it's black the typical powder residue is almost invisible. The residue cleans off easily enough and makes it one the easiest to clean guns I own. At 500 rounds I still do not have a visible turn ring on the cylinder, something that would appear on a blued revolver almost immediately. Over all I really like the black Cerakote over stainless approach on a revolver versus a typical blued gun.

But there is one thing you need to know about Cerakoted revolvers.....

You will get a spot at the end of the cylinder on each chamber where the Cerakote gets worn off due to the hot gasses and flame from firing. The hot gasses and flame that are a normal part of firing a revolver and escape through the B/C gap are directed off the underside of the top strap and back down on the end of the cylinder above the chamber. After a couple hundred rounds the Cerakote is ablated from that small spot and the bare metal begins to show from underneath. From what I have found out talking to gunsmiths and Cerakote applicators this is normal and to be expected. If you don't clean the powder residue thoroughly you may not notice on a black finish.

On the GP100 pictured earlier I polished the ends of the cylinder in those spots so now the "problem" (if you want to call it that) is gone. I already had some bright polished accents anyway and it just added to the look. Here's a lousy cell phone photo to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Here's another Cerakoted GP100 I did. One of the reasons I went with even more high polish surfaces was to get away from the nagging cylinder finish issue. The trade off here is a quickly developing turn ring. Seems you can't have it both ways.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I don't know how different Cerakote is from the finish on the new LCR's, but it makes it really nice to clean up, I can say that much. I've never cared for the matte black finish until I cleaned up my LCR.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
For Ruger to go all the trouble and efforts to get a Ceracoted SP101 they should atleast put on the Wiley Clap front sights and the wood grip inserts. To be a Talo Exclusive kinda dumb to have the revolver just be in the stock form. Should have some sight upgrades and wood grip inserts or just quit dorking around and actually make a blued SP101 like they do with the GP100!!!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I actually agree with you. Now the the "ooh, a new Ruger!" Syndrome has worn off. It would make for a much nicer "exclusive" if it had the nicer sights and inserts in the grips.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think I would try a set of small laser sight grips and call it good. I bought a trl4 a few years back but had it out really for first time in awhile to check batteries since its on my hd Cz p07. i am not very fast with the laser but had a blast when putting it on daughters air soft czp07. Just wish they would radius the top two horns off before coating. Also whats up with the other new specail edition it looks like they just threw a set of wood inserts in? I must be missing something.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts