Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
My CZ 452 American is what introduced me to the .17 HMR. I missed out on the S&W 647 when it was in production and regretted it. The Wife spotted this Single Six sitting forlornly on a shelf all by itself and just knew it needed a good home, so she called me about it and it was adopted that afternoon.

Every time we take it to the range everybody nearby has to come take a look. I really should get some better looking grips for it.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
My CZ 452 American is what introduced me to the .17 HMR. I missed out on the S&W 647 when it was in production and regretted it. The Wife spotted this Single Six sitting forlornly on a shelf all by itself and just knew it needed a good home, so she called me about it and it was adopted that afternoon.

Every time we take it to the range everybody nearby has to come take a look. I really should get some better looking grips for it.
I must acquire one. Yes I must...:)

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I have a blued one on layaway , I really wanted the stainless model but the opportunity to layaway the .17 Single Six in blue came up, so I went for it:)

I wanted it pretty much as a range toy, just something different. Shooting micro sized bullets at high velocity seems fun:)

·
Super Moderator
21,717 Posts
I imagine they take care of woodchuck sized pests pretty handily. How are they for noise level compared to a 22 LR and 22 Mag. As memory serves it's a 22 mag RF necked down to 17 caliber so I would expect it would be louder than a 22 RF and about the same as a 22 mag.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My 17 HMR is a Savage 93R17FV. Excellent shooter.

I would love to have one of the Rugers SA 17 HMR .

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I imagine they take care of woodchuck sized pests pretty handily. How are they for noise level compared to a 22 LR and 22 Mag. As memory serves it's a 22 mag RF necked down to 17 caliber so I would expect it would be louder than a 22 RF and about the same as a 22 mag.
It is a necked-down .22 mag and similar to sounding like a .22mag, but a bit more of a sharper crack! Some difference between the 20gr FMJ and the 16gr CCI TNT Green...I always wear ear protection, so this is only my experiences, but them bullets is quick! :)

The stainless .17HMR is on my wish list, but pricey...for $20 more I can buy the stainless Blackhawk in .45LC!

·
Corps Commander NGV
5,455 Posts
My N.E.F. Sportster .17HMR shoots consistent .75" groups (in no-wind conditions)@100yds with that Hornady 17gr V-Max ammo. When the breeze is blowing, I use similar hold-offs as I'm used to using with my .223 Rem shooting @ 300yds. I just never considered the .17HMR as a handgun round. I'm sure it's great fun, and the ammo is more easily available than .22magnum. But I have the 9.5" NMSSS (shown in my avatar) that I keep the .22mag cylinder in for use on small to medium critters out to 50yds. If I can see it, I can hit it with Winchester Super-X JHP's. But since I can't find that load anywhere.....maybe I do need a new single action in 17HMR.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,415 Posts
I have only one and it's a Savage 9317. Would have added a handgun if 22LR ammo availability did not improve.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I've been shooting the 77/17 since '04 it's one of my favorite guns ever. But just yesterday a .17HMR Single Six followed me home from the gun show. Those tiny little holes in the front of the cylinder sure look funny with all that steel surrounding them. It's a NIB 5 1/2" stainless model 10663 mfg in '10. I'm told it might be a dealer exclusive?

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've been shooting the 77/17 since '04 it' one of my favorite guns ever. But just yesterday a .17HMR Single Six followed me home from the gun show. Those tiny little holes in the front of the cylinder sure look funny with all that steel surrounding them. It's a NIB 5 1/2" stainless model 10663 mfg in '10. I'm told it might be a dealer exclusive?
That's a Lipsey's Exclusive you have! Nice find!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Oh man I had a cool one :cool: and I miss it. It was the only Taurus I ever owned (and probably ever will) but boy was it ever accurate. 7 rd cylinder so I fired 7 rd groups. Could cover those groups with a dime at 25 yds and a nickle at 50 when shooting from that rest.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts