Ruger Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Crazy times. Guys keep on posting cheap prices to stir the pot. If anyone can post a legitimate buy it now NORMAL price I am willing to pay shipping and even pay a finders fee! Talk is cheap, ammo is not at the moment!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I stopped by the large shooting range in the neighboring county this afternoon. This place has been raked over the coals in online comments and reviews for customer service and ammo price gouging. I wanted to see if the ratings were accurate. The workers were all busy, and they seem to have duties on their computer terminals in addition to dealing with customers, which may make them appear rude. So that might be one part of the ratings.

They had 9mm round nose on the shelf.
I suggested they charge admission and turn the place into a tourist attraction.
The clerk proudly proclaimed that they are not profiteering and had held their price to the same price as before, $22.99 for a box of 50.
I have no reference for if that is a good or bad price. I started reloading when a box of 50 inched past ten dollars and I calculated out that reloading cost less than half of that.

Current cost of reloading 9mm?
Market price for primers is $15 per hundred, if you can find someone to sell you a brick for $150.
Backordered FMJ bullets are $15 per hundred. $13 or less if you buy in larger quantities.
Brass is $16+ per hundred for new (backordered). Used is less.
Powder is $24+ per pound, which is enough to do 1,000 rounds, so round up to $3 per hundred.
There may be shipping cost for one or more of these items.
$49 per hundred the first time. $33 per hundred the second time when you reuse the brass.
That price or primers really screws the whole thing up. That price is like 5 1/2 times the normal price. (Not kidding, the price marked on the last brick I bought before this year was $14.99.)

If you think you might decide to start reloading some time down the line, pick up and keep all your brass when shooting manufactured ammo, and make sure you are using ammo with brass casings that is boxer primed. You can cut that $16 completely out from the start.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Got some Cabela's Herters 9mm 115g FMJ yesterday for $10.99/box-of-50, which is pretty good for these days. I've shot a bunch and It shoots ok and reloads ok, though I'd just use the ammo for plinking. Just happened to get there when they had some. I don't even bother looking at their web site any more as ammo is out of stock every time I looked. Had heard they get some in every day or two. Even with limit of 5 boxes of 50 it's gone pretty quickly.

If you have a Cabelas or Bass Pro around, you might want to visit once in a while: I'd say get there before noon.

I'm hedging my bets buying the ammo as at least primers are just about impossible to find around here at any price.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts