Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my two ! I love them both !

Just wish the second came with the case like the first one !

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
YIKES!!!!![:0] Those look scarey![}:)] I like em', [8D] but what are they anyway[?]

·
Registered
129 Posts
Talk about a man-stopper! Bet that turns heads at the range. Every time I see/hear .50 Cal, I get a visual of setting the head space and timing on the Browning. HB-DLX: please tell us more about this weapon and range firing experiences please.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Range firing experience ? Well, every one wonders over when you start firing and usually the first question is "what the hell is that ?" The second being "is that legal ?". The top picture is of my 50 cal. "Bull Pup" from Barret. Well, so called bull pup, it is a different design than the original design which is the one pictured below. The first one uses some what of recoil "compensating" device as Barret calls it. This device built into the action actually makes the Bull Pup more enjoyable to shoot than the full sized version pictured below it. The other difference between the two, if you didn't notice in the pictures, is barrel length. Hence the "Bull Pup" designation. They also both have 10 round detachable mags. They are not really "man stoppers" as all that would be left would be pieces and their boots ! The 50 is capable of shooting threw tank armor and aircraft armor. According to Barret when I bought them, they will shoot through two feet of solid concrete with enough force to still take out the target on the other side. The only two draw backs to them are 1. The bigger one with out the recoil absorber beets the piss out of you after 4 or 5 clips full of ammo which brings us to 2. it cost me any where from 4 to 8 dollars every time I pull the trigger. There are no scopes on them currently as they both keep breaking them, yes even the $2,500 dollar one especially made for them, with regularity after about 100 to 200 rounds. Some times they go a bit longer on the Bull Pup, being that the recoil is a bit less. The muzzle break is some what effective at keeping the rifle on the ground, but does little for reducing recoil. Needless to say I don't regret the purchase of them at all. What other weapon gives you the ability to stop a tank that a civilian can own ? Well, none I am capable of owning with out being in Iraq !

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I forgot to mention the third draw back, they are quite time intensive to clean. I was just wondering if all of you guys clean your guns like I do ? I attach a tag to all of them with the time and date they were cleaned and cycle through them every month. So, the last one I cleaned at the start of the month gets cleaned at the start of the next month and the rest follow in order they were cleaned last ? Or am I just a bit anal ?

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Don't clean any gun that after unless it's fired. Of course mine are all small enough to fit in a gun sock.
Neat weapons. The local shop here had one but sold it after dispay for about a year. I got to play with it but never shot it. He had milsurp ammo for it that ran about a buck fifty a pop.
Our local range won't allow several types of weapons and anything 50 cal and up is banned.

·
Registered
129 Posts
HB-DLX...very nice. Um, it wont shoot through Tank Armor...unless you are using "spent uranium tipped bullets, which I highly doubt...and even then I doubt it will penetrate Tank armor. It will, however, go through the M113 Track's hull. Both sides. We used them for target practice in the Army.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know, I meant troop carrier transport and helicopters under shielding not Tank armor. I wish I could own and fire spent uranium rounds, but a thirty year prison sentence doesn't appeal to me, also the radiation poisoning around the impact crater of the round doesn't seem very appealing either ! Still the 2 feet of solid concrete is pretty impressive ! We have shot cinder blocks a few times and enjoyed the pieces it turns them into ! But it will shoot through pretty much anything that isn't heavily armored. Its a hell of a lot of funny any way ! It took me quite some time to purchase the Bull Pup and I inherited the full size from my father when he bought the newer version of the full size ! So, I got lucky !

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I've got a Watson's Weapons AR conversion. It is super slow and a real pain to load but is still fun and plenty accurate. Best of all, I could afford to buy it. I like Barrett's M99 bolt action. The semi-autos aren't as accurate, and well, I'd just plain shoot more rounds through one, too, and even reloads or surplus rounds are expensive...that and I'd never spend that much money on any firearm.

Mine recoils about like a shotgun. If you think the muzzle brake does little, try removing it, just don't be behind it when it fires. It reduces recoil by about 70%.

Cheap scopes last even less, and the bigger the sooner the break as well. I've heard that Nightforce makes some tough scopes that can handle the abuse, but they are out of my price range at the moment.

What ranges do you shoot those at?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not as accurate as a bolt action ? I guess you've never shot a Barrett ? I shoot at canyon # 2 most days or we take the jeeps way up in the hills to the "pit" to shoot. I should have said seems like it doesn't do that much ! I am actually looking at buying a Night Force, but my buddy said they have issues with longevity on the 50 too ! I'll half to look to see what the one I paid $2,500 for is. I wouldn't say you wouldn't buy one, I have shot the conversion you have and it doesn't even compare to the Barrett in bolt action or semi-auto. Like I said, it took quite a long time to save enough money to buy the Bull Pup, but it was well worth it for the quality of the gun !

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Semi-autos have a lot of tactical advantages. Superior accuracy has generally never been one of them. Almost any 50BMG is capable of very good accuracy...most often the ones winning competitions are single shot bolt actions.

Years ago an amateur shooter at his first FCSA 1000 Yard National got a 3rd place with this upper receiver. Sure, this upper doesn't compete, at least not in speed. It's a 36" Lothar-Walther with a thread-in bolt. Lockup doesn't get any tighter than that!

I like quality, but dig quality at reasonable prices as well. If I decide to get rid of this upper I'd replace it with a Serbu.

I have no interest in detachable magazines or semi-auto's when it comes to big 50's. If I'm gonna be throwing a lot of rounds at something I'd definitely be using something else.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats your choice. I like the Barretts and would stake my life on them any day. The name of the game is well placed shots in rapid succession. The 50's I have are highly accurate. I know exactly what both of these rifles are capable of. I don't need to get in a pissin match with you. You buy yours and I'll buy mine and we both can agree to dis agree.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I'm not pissin' on your Wheaties here; I like Barrett's, too. My only concern is the facts.

I didn't buy a 50BMG for combat...my military days are long over. :D

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I see, so then those uppers are decent target guns ? I just have never been a big fan of bolt action guns, well except for a few of the sniper rifles. I can see why you like it though, if your using it to target shoot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts