Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a Johnny Cash thread so I wondered, am I all alone listening to "The Cat?"
As I am 16, I guaranty you I'm the only one that has heard of him in my entire school beside my friends that give me crap about it! :D

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
I wouldn't call myself a fan of Cat [or Yousef, or whatever he calls himself these days], but I do like his song "Morning Has Broken" very much. It's a bit of a fond, childhood memory song for me.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
I saw a Johnny Cash thread so I wondered, am I all alone listening to "The Cat?"
As I am 16, I guaranty you I'm the only one that has heard of him in my entire school beside my friends that give me crap about it! :D
no way (young man ;-) )!! there are others like us. make sure you go to a good college---- the classics like cat stand the test of time, and kids at those schools still listen to the good stuff. in fact, it's cool to listen to the good stuff. cat stevens was already old news when i went to college, but where i went, it was cool to listen to him, to a lot of good 60s folk and rock. you'll find plenty of others out in the real world with good taste. you just have to look for them. i just posted johnny cash's cover of father and son on my other thread and was listening to the original cat version before that.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
I hate hearing me say this, but...

When I was your age, Cat Stevens was my favorite. I had all his albums and saw him live once. He is/was a musical genius. However, he is a very troubled person.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
I wouldn't call myself a fan of Cat [or Yousef, or whatever he calls himself these days], but I do like his song "Morning Has Broken" very much. It's a bit of a fond, childhood memory song for me.
Actually he didn't write Morning Has Broken. It's an old Christian song he covered, but covered very well.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Actually he didn't write Morning Has Broken. It's an old Christian song he covered, but covered very well.
Back in the "olden days" I did like listening to some of Cat's songs on the radio, yup we did have radio's back then, electric ones too. I even enjoy hearing them today when they're played on the "oldies" station...

...(boy jlh820 I hate hearing me say that too :eek:)...

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Yes I was A cat Stevens fan also. There are still some of his songs on my mp3 still listen to them. I had all his albums.
I was a fan of his before he converted and became questionable.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
I caught part of a Cat Stevens benefit concert he did recently and he was performing his old hits. After his conversion to Islam, he burned all his records and I think sold his gold records and donated the proceeds to his latest faith. I think that might have taken a turn as well because I thought he vowed to never perform them again. Oh well, as I said, he's a troubled soul.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
I caught part of a Cat Stevens benefit concert he did recently and he was performing his old hits. After his conversion to Islam, he burned all his records and I think sold his gold records and donated the proceeds to his latest faith. I think that might have taken a turn as well because I thought he vowed to never perform them again. Oh well, as I said, he's a troubled soul.
most great artists are, when you think about it. i think you almost have to be.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I had heard about a year or two ago he released a new album. As he felt is god would not oject to his singing again. But I don't think it ever made it to the states. I know he's been bounced off flights to the US.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There is a lot of questionable things about him but I listen not to form a religious opinion, but rather to listen to music that lets me relax. I'm not a fan of the Muslim religion but he pretty well made all of his songs when he was a Christian. It doesn't really matter to me at all. Just because I don't agree with British gun laws doesn't mean I can't listen to Pink Floyd! :D He was a great singer that should not be forgotten as that, a singer.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I remember when he did "morning". Didn't he do "Peace Train"? I can't name any other song that he did back then or since.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I really liked the albums "Tea for the Tillerman" and "Teaser and the Firecat" when they came out my Junior and Senior years in college. I didn't follow him much after that. When he agreed with the Fatwah that the mullahs put out on Salmon Rushdie It really turned me off. After all how can you like someone that believes that another human being should be put to death simply because they don't think exactly as others do. Then again according to Him, Cat Stevens no longer exists. So I like who he was, but not what he's become.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Bubble-gum folk. Just like James Taylor, but with even less testosterone...and that's a challenge.
different strokes for different folks. i like the stones but prefer the beatles. doesn't mean i'm gonna rain on any stones fan's parade.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
I really liked the albums "Tea for the Tillerman" and "Teaser and the Firecat" when they came out my Junior and Senior years in college. I didn't follow him much after that. When he agreed with the Fatwah that the mullahs put out on Salmon Rushdie It really turned me off. After all how can you like someone that believes that another human being should be put to death simply because they don't think exactly as others do. Then again according to Him, Cat Stevens no longer exists. So I like who he was, but not what he's become.
there's some really awesome stuff on tea for the tillerman. i was just looking it up a few minutes ago to try and jog my memory. my fiancee made a great itunes genius mix that had a bunch of stuff from that album.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
his religious views then or now don't bother me. i have friends of all faiths and don't discriminate against them based on their views, as they don't discriminate against me. i don't want to see this thread land in the minefield, so maybe we can stay away from religion and stick to the music????

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i don't want to see this thread land in the minefield, so maybe we can stay away from religion and stick to the music????
I was thinking the same thing...
Peace Train, Ruins, Hard Headed Woman, Another Saturday Night, Bitter Blue (my favorite), I never wanted to be a star, If I Laugh, Just Another Night, Sitting, and Trouble. The list goes on and on. I love his music. My friends must think I'm depressed ;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts