Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help if you can.
I have a older desktop that was custom built for me about 8-10 years ago, Windows XP.
OK problem started when my sound card started buzzing. I changed out the card with a couple others but they would not drive my surround system. I put the original back in a *Ta Da* it works again.
Since then both my Canon camera and scanner don't work. I get an error message for the scanner 5,202,52. Both tell me the camera and/or scanner are not connected to the computer. I have downloaded new latest drivers to no avail.
I have removed the software and reinstalled same to no avail.
Any help will be most appreciated.
Lou

·
Registered
40 Posts
Windows XP has a problem with some USB ports and needs special USB drivers to make them function properly. If you have an add-on USB card, then go to its manufacturer and get the drivers.

Your motherboard may have developed an electrical problem of which, the sound card was just a symptom. Putting th old sound card back in may have knocked out the YSB ports, too.

After this long, it is time for a new motherboard and hard drives. All hard drives fail, sooner or later, and yours can reasonably be expected to go soon.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Are your fans working? One of the early victims of over heating problems can be things that fit into PSI slots. Though could be a lot of things.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Windows XP has a problem with some USB ports and needs special USB drivers to make them function properly. If you have an add-on USB card, then go to its manufacturer and get the drivers.

Your motherboard may have developed an electrical problem of which, the sound card was just a symptom. Putting th old sound card back in may have knocked out the YSB ports, too.

After this long, it is time for a new motherboard and hard drives. All hard drives fail, sooner or later, and yours can reasonably be expected to go soon.
I have tested the USB ports and they are still alive but I agree on the other symptoms. I do have one hard drive that is toast and only used as storage as it won't boot up. The other has been fine(until now).

Thanks for your input I do appreciate the help.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I am not a computer guru, but this may work....

This error code is generally caused due to Windows not starting the Services associated with Windows Imaging. Use the directions below to verify the services are started.

1. Click Start then right-click over My Computer then click Manage.
2. Click Services and Applications then click Services.
3. Scroll down to Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) and Status should show as Started.
If it doesn't then right-click over Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) then click Properties.

Select Automatic in Startup Type: then click OK

Now reboot your computer and check as above if Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) is shown as started.

·
Registered
148 Posts
With more and more things using USB, your power supply could be short of what is needed too. USB provides power to a lot of things, even though it is low voltage, it adds up. I am not a guru either, but have learned a lot over the last 10 years. I built my last machine. By building my own, it ended up costing me a lot less than what I would have paid to buy a brand name and get the same machine. But......... some of the lessons were hard learned, like using an old power supply that was not enough to drive the USB peripherals. (But I also use an external sound card. I record music, and it also serves as an interface to hook audio equipment to my computer. But it is also really good, like old good stereo sound quality. But I did have to replace my power supply for the system. Now my keyboard, mouse, and wireless internet is all USB 2 or more. Plus my scanner and printer are all USB 2.)

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
FWIW - my wives computer died last month. She has alway gotten my hand me down computers as I upgrade my work computer every two years, that old soldier goes to my home office, and my old home office goes to her. Well, I decided that she really deserved better since she just bought me a new pistol. (Springfield XDM 45 competition, how I love her sweet heart!)

Jumping online with Newegg I pieced together a new system, Asus motherboard, AMD 4 core processor, 8 gig ram, 500w PS, DVD drive and 2TB HD. I did all kinds of playing with the configuration, shopped for "free shipping" items and rebates. The bottom line was after the rebates get here I will have bought the computer for $345. We did recycle the monitor, keyboard & mouse and the case. They offered a discount for becoming a member of their buyer group, another for applying for their credit line, etc. Just keep stacking the discounts.

I'm a hero again.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
When a computer starts giving trouble, and has some age, it's telling you "I'm tired and need some rest". You get one thing fixed and then it's something else. Before you know it, you have spent more on repairs than a new one would cost. Been there, done that.

Thank God they don't cost what they used to cost.
Anybody remember Radio Shack selling computers?

This was more than half the price of a new Mustang GT!
Point is, computers are getting cheaper all the time, it's not worth it, to me, to put up with one causing problems.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Unplug all your USB devices, right click "My Computer" and select properties. Go into your "Device Manager" and locate "Universal Serial Bus controllers" and remove all devices for Root Hubs and Composite Devices and reboot. Should reinstall all the drivers for your USB...see if that helps.

Note, I would have the driver disk for your motherboard handy just in case it can't find the drivers.

·
Super Moderator
21,403 Posts
I figure computers are like tires, every 2-3 years I get a new one.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
terry_p said:
Or you can unplug and replug all cables, cards, etc.
What happens to some PCs is the humidity combines with the dust and you end up with corrosion on the contacts. . . . . . As mentioned above . . . . Dust and fans are your enemy! Dust in the fans causes them to run slowly and components overheat. Cleaning out the inside of the tower (or laptop) every six months helps quite a bit.

I'm out at about eight years on my current one.
(They still do not have anything faster than my 3.6Gig, diadic processor [dual core])
But I also changed operating systems almost four years ago (Linux, natch.) ;)

P.S. I do a complete data backup twice per month.
In Linux, that takes almost thirty minutes for six GIG(!) of data. :)

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Slightly off topic from the original post but I will second the comments about Linux. I have a laptop that is probably 6+ years old. It was originally windows XP. I started having trouble with it and replaced it a few years ago. I kept using it until it went into a BSD (blue screen of death) reboot loop. Under Windows diagnostics, it told me my hard drive had failed.

Recently I installed the newest version of Ubuntu Linux (without replacing the hard drive). Other than the battery not lasting more than about 45 minutes (I keep it plugged in), it runs like it did when it was brand new. With Libre Office and Chrome for Linux, it is a great backup computer and will do 90% of what either I or the family need.

If all you use your computer for is internet, email, and basic Office (Word, Excel, etc), you don't need a new computer you just need Linux.

It will not run iTunes or most photo editing software, but there is a windows emulation program (that I have not tried) and if all you do is download and view your photos, it will do both of those just fine.

2 big bonuses are that I love the way Linux handles upgrades and you are much less susceptible to viruses. I have had as much or more problems with anti-virus software on Windows as I have had with viruses (and I have 2 teenagers)

·
Registered
12,851 Posts
Yea, when I buy a mac I get the 3 yr warranty, if it outlasts that (all have) I then just replace the whole thing once the old one doesn't do what I need anymore. Typically they go 4-5 years before replacement. No point putting money into an obsolete computer, assuming budgets allow getting a new one

·
Registered
31 Posts
I recommend a 12 guage with No 4 buck as the solution. In human years your computer is about 400 years old.
I am an IT professional and I agree with the above. You have multiple issues here and if you are on a gun forum trying to fix them- then this is the answer you should expect! ;) You are getting 12 different answers from 12 different peeps.... Good luck

My recommendation? Back up user data and wipe hard drive with a clean install of Windows xp. That will be like taking hammer to it but it should clear up any software related issues. Still having problems? It's hardware.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts