Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not really into hunting mostly because I am very busy and don't have the time. But I like to get to range and my range has a new archery section. I was thinking about getting a cross bow just for fun.

Any recomendations?

Does the fun factor wear off?

·
Super Moderator
21,697 Posts
I bought an Excalibur Axiom kit. It was reasonably priced and came with 4 bolts, cocking mechanism, scope and quiver. It is simple in design but rugged as it is essentially a recurve bow with a scope and shoots over 300FPS. It is legal in NH during the gun season with a CB license and I have practiced enough so I am comfortable to 50 yards.

I thought I might have trouble cocking or uncocking it as I have arthiritis in the spine but with the rope (with pulleys) supplied it is easy and not a problem for me. There are very low maintenance requirements and the instructions plus free video are very informative.

I still have to quiet it down some and it is heavy so if you have a long walk to a stand you might want to wait and cock when you got there as it's easier to carry that way. It is fun and I am happy with the brand and the string seems to hold up well as some of the other crossbow makes (like Barnett) require a string change frequently as they wear out fast (like every 50-100 shots!).

·
Registered
485 Posts
When I started hunting whitetail deer I used a PSE crossbow. Very accurate and I liked that "thunk" sound when you released the bolt (arrow). I gave it up for a couple reasons. It became to heavy and somewhat awkward to carry/sling in dense brush. Also, I prefer to stalk hunt and I found the crossbow not feasible to have cocked, when walking around the woods. Just a personal thing.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am very old school not even a recurve bow only a wooden long bow long live robin hood.
I have actually been thinking about a recurve. My wife doesn't like shooting but she said she could get into archery. The weight and cumbersomeness of the crossbow that people are mentioning along with articles I have been reading are making me lean towards possible getting a recurve.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts