Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently received, just for the asking, a complete ejector rod housing package (housing, rod, spring & two screws) from Ruger, free of charge --- talk about customer service!

When I was able to examine, peruse & drool over that beautiful blued steel housing, I decided I have to upgrade my other two Blackhawks & my Super Blackhawk with the same thing.

My question is this: Have any of you guys or gals noticed any negative effects, as far as weight or a change in handling characteristics, when switching from the factory-issued aluminum housing to the steel one?

Your insights, comments, opinions, tips, threats, demands for money & poison-pen hate mail are all welcome. :D :D :D

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Can't speak for others, but going to the steel has been all to the good for me. Not a huge weight difference, anyway, and definitely a plus for the sake of looks and construction quality.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's my take on it as well.
Plus the extra weight, though negligible, can't hurt with the recoil. :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Steel is all for the better, as God intended.

One word of caution though ~ on your Super Blackhawk you may want to place a little adhesive under the housing along the barrel. Heavy loads do have a tendency to shear the screw otherwise. Also place a little on the tendon that fits into the frame. I use a dab of blue Loktite.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Steel is all for the better, as God intended.

One word of caution though ~ on your Super Blackhawk you may want to place a little adhesive under the housing along the barrel. Heavy loads do have a tendency to shear the screw otherwise. Also place a little on the tendon that fits into the frame. I use a dab of blue Loktite.

Bob Wright
Thanks, Bob --- I really appreciate your neat little tech tip.
That's the kind of inside dope I'm always on the look-out for.

·
Registered
5,734 Posts
. Heavy loads do have a tendency to shear the screw otherwise.
I had this problem with one of my .44s. After around 3 times gathering the parts off the ground and replacing the scews....I finally replaced with an alloy ejector housing. Problem went away. Prefer the steel ... but I 'really' prefer that the housing stay in place even more :) . Hope yours work well.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
All my aluminum ejector rod housings have been replaced with steel! If you can feel a weight difference good luck. Also, the steel won't holster wear like the aluminum!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Are the steel ejector rod housings available for purchase?
What are the odds of finding a 3.75" model, for my Birdshead?

Are they blued from factory?
"drop in" part?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Are the steel ejector rod housings available for purchase?
What are the odds of finding a 3.75" model, for my Birdshead?

Are they blued from factory?
"drop in" part?

Thanks!
They are available from Ruger, Brownell's, and probably from Gun Parts, Inc. (Numrich). And yes they are blued, and drop in (drop on?) fit.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
524 Posts
On my 6.5" Blackhawk .357, the steel ejector rod housing screw will sheer off if I shoot too many full-power loads? But, glue will eliminate enough stress from the screw to keep it from sheering? What brand or type glue is typically successful in this sort of firearm application?
That the steel ejector housing will break off is disappointing news.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
On my 6.5" Blackhawk .357, the steel ejector rod housing screw will sheer off if I shoot too many full-power loads? But, glue will eliminate enough stress from the screw to keep it from sheering? What brand or type glue is typically successful in this sort of firearm application?
Not going to happen with a 357 mag. Our new SBH in 454 has the steel housing and, trust me, if steel works on a 454, it will work on a 357.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Two products I have used with equal success are:

"The Original Super Glue - Fix-All Adhesive" and "Leech F-26 Heavy Adhesive."

Both of these make the housing stay put, but if desired to remove, can be freed with a couple of light taps with a mallet.

Yet one other solution is to have a banded front sight installed with the band snug up against the front of the ejector rod housing. As for myself, don't like banded front sights.

Also some 'smiths will install a recoil lug on the barrel with a recess in the EJR housing, which is the most unobtrusive method.

As to studded barrels, I've had the stud shear off under recoil from both the .44 Magnum and .45 Colt. It all has to do with metal fatigue.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
5,734 Posts
Mine didn't sheer, but would look 'bent' and the threads would be flattened. I thought bad screws, so ordered a few from Brownells. Same thing. My thought was the steel housing wasn't letting the screw fully seat.... Only one gun I've had the problem with. All the others locktite did the trick. I still check the screws most every time I clean 'em.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Any preferences when it comes to the ejector rod housings between the Ruger factory offering, Brownell's, or the Story brand from Midway?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
BTW, the Brownell ones are listed as "Out of Stock". :( :( :(
The Story units are the most affordable. ;)

Also, all of my Blackhawks & my Super Blackhawk require the housing for studded barrels, according to Ruger's tech support.
It apparently has to do with their age, based on serial numbers --- even though they are ALL New Models.
Go figure... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I decided to call Ruger Customer Support to try & clarify this whole ejector rod housing mish-mash mess. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Spoke with two old-time techs & their collective conclusion is that the ONLY way to figure out for certain whether a Blackhawk (particularly the .41 Magnums, .45 ACP/.45 Colt Convertibles & straight.45 Colts) uses an ejector rod housing that screws onto a studded barrel or directly onto the barrel is to remove the existing alloy housing to see if there's a threaded stud underneath it or not.

They stated that only the Super Blackhawks are supposed to use the studded barrel...but recommended a visual check there as well because Ruger apparently experimented on & off there as well.

Now that I remember, the package that they comped me for my .41 Magnum (steel housing, rod, spring & screw) came with an envelope with an extra screw, which I have yet to open.
I'm betting that when I do, it's going to find a different-sized screw so that the housing can be used for either style of barrel... :D :D :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts