Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 39 and was diagnosed with diabetes a few years ago. I am on metformin100 mg twice a day and insulin 55cc twice a day. I am not very good at taking care of myself. My vision is starting to get blurry and I feel real tired in the afternoon. I work two jobs and I know I need to join a gym. I just don't have the time to work out. It also doesnt help that I am addicted to unhealthy food/sweets. My wife doesn't help much.

Those of you who manage it, how have you been successful?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Brother you have my empathy. I was diagnosed one year ago last April with a fasting glucose of 514. Same symptoms, blurry vision, constant thirst and fatigue. I weighed 335lbs and had a 54" waist.

My best advice...start with small goals and remember any adjustments you make for 30 days straight will become a good habit.

#1. Lay off soda and sugary drinks....including diet drinks w/ artificial sweeteners. They leave you unsatisfied and craving more sweets. Drink copious amounts of water and if you need flavor, check out Mio water enhancer.

#2. If in doubt, go with protein. It metabolizes slower making you feel full longer and provides a more stable source of energy. Try to get at least 40% of your food calories from protein...chicken and fish preferably.

#3. Never let yourself get hungry. Divide up your meals into 5 or 6 instead of 3. Once you get hungry you will most likely overeat.

#4. Find foods that you like that are also healthy...this can be tricky. Do some research and be prepared for frustration until your menu develops. Healthy Recipes, Healthy Eating, Healthy Cooking | Eating Well has some great ideas for everything from sandwiches to entrees.

#5. Remember this is about lifestyle change...not dieting. Diets are a fad and as soon as you go off you will end up in the same boat.

#6. Start exercise slowly...walking is great exercise, low impact and can reap huge benefits over time. If all you can do is 15 minutes walking around the parking lot at work then do it. Every step counts!

#7 Set small weight loss goals and celebrate when you reach them. A burger or Pizza in reasonable amounts as a reward are ok. This way you don't feel guilty and it will help motivate you.

I don't know what your results will be but I am now at 220lbs with sugar under control, an A1C of 5.5, and no meds. You will certainly be in my prayers and if you have any questions send me a message. Good luck brother!

·
Sr. Exec. Button Monkey
623 Posts
West Texan - good luck with your diabetes management. I was diagnosed about 10 months ago as borderline / pre-diabetic. It scared the pants off me. I did everything the doctor said. Lost 25+ pounds and changed my diet. When I went back after 3 months I was no longer in danger. You can do it. Really you can.
Gunpoor said it better and more succinctly that I ever could. He's got it right. Do it 5 pounds at a time. Please, for your wife (and I assume) your kids. And yes, even for yourself.
If you ever need advice, or just some one to vent at, let me know.
Good Luck and God Bless you.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I'm one of the lucky ones too. July 07 I was diagnosed with type II diabetes. I have another problem I’m handicapped and can’t get around like most people can. I started out on pills. Now I’m on pills 2x’s a day and a shot every morning. Being inactive sure isn’t helping my situation. My vision changed until I got it under control and went back to normal. I was using reading glasses to see distance LOL. I’ve had spells where my glucose level shot up and my eyes changed again. 3 months ago my A1C was over 10. That’s when the DR increased my units of insulin. Two weeks ago I went back to the DR and it was a little over 7 so I’m going in the right direction. They want mine 7 or under. As you know Diabetes effects all parts of the body. I had a physical two weeks ago and now there’s some diabetic protein in the urine. I have allot to think about within the next few months. The DR was throwing options at me. I’m considering the gastric bypass surgery. He said if I lost the weight I’d be diabetes free and would help other issues I have. I’m so limited to what I can do losing weight is almost impossible for me. I never dreamed this diabetes was so bad. I wouldn’t know what feeling good is it’s been so long. No energy, get tired fast, always sweating. I know if I don’t do something drastic soon it’s going to kill me. I know I don't eat right. I'm supposed to eat small meals several times a day. Somedays I eat in the morning and not again until late afternoon.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I don't have it but my woman does. She was bad at controlling it too but about 2 years ago she was put on the pump. It's helped a lot man. You should look into it. It from metronics. It's an insulin pump that looks like a beeper. The one thing you have to learn and be good at is counting carbs.

Also bro if your vision is getting blurry your blood sugar is way to high. Over the 250 300 mark. My full time job is for an eye dr. He is an MD and specializes in glaucoma and Diabetic retinopathy. If seen some said stuff man. I can't stress enough man that if you start seeing flashes of light or a lot of black floaters in your vision you need to go see an Ophthalmologist ASAP! You could be doing some serious damage to you're retina. If you want any more info PM me

·
Registered
423 Posts
I am a diabetic and have been for about 8 years. I take Metformin, Glipizide and insulin twice a day. My A1c is just under 7. It has been a struggle for me as it has been for others. I also have Parkinsons, kidney disease and heart disease. So my ability to exercise is somewhat limited, but I walk about 3 miles everyday, rain or shine.
The information you have above is a really good start. Limit your carbs, and eat several meals a day. Drink lots of water, at least 8, 8oz glasses. Limit your sweets (none is best, but that is not realisitc). Exercise, exercise, exercise...it helps everything!
What I am doing is using a modified Atkins eat system. I put more carbs in my diet than they recommend, I try to stay less than 30 grams a day. I eat 6 or 7 meals a day, My eye sight is back to 20/20 and I am 65 years old. My weight is where it needs to be. It is not easy, but at your age if you get a handle on it early, you stand a real chance of turning it around and not having to deal with it.
Best of luck and get after it right away!!!

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Man, I feel for you guys, I see (and treat) a lot of this at work.
Hope it never happens to me.
I love my cakes, buscuits, sweets, deserts ect. way too much.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've been a diabetic for 12 years now. Meds and diet are the keys for me. Try to stay low carb. 12-15 per sitting at most. Insulin, pills etc. and weight loss are critical My family has been full of diabetics on both sides and they aren't all fat people either.

I have some nerve damage in my right arm which hinders my shooting a little. Hope it doesn't get worse.

·
The Shooterologist
3,992 Posts
Another diabetic here. I was weighing 260 lbs in January (this year) when diagnosed with diabetes. I was put on Metaformin and I was referred to a nutritionist.
I made up my mind and followed the nutritionist's advice. With a lot of sweating and dieting I am down to 210lbs (and still dropping).
My A1C is sitting now on 5.4, with the tiredness gone I am enjoying life much more.

I think what helped me the most is my wife fixing diabetic foods from the charts supplied by the nutritionist, and the little snack between meals.
My rewards have been going from a size 46 pants to now wearing a size 38 pants (soon to be a size 36), and from a XXL tee shirt to L.
While I am still a diabetic, I can now enjoy a couple of beers once a week. I stay away from regular soft drinks and go with the diet sodas, I minimize the starchy stuff and eat mostly chicken, lean pork and turkey. for a steak, its turkey ground meat made into a hamburger steak.

West Texan...stick with it and do what you can with what you have. results come slowly, but they will come. Good Luck to Ya!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I have beem a diabetic for over 10 years. I believe to be honest so here it goes! Stop eating CRAP!! You are already way out of control. If you can't stop to take care of yourself you will KILL yourself and it will be no ones fault except yours. Don't blame wife or anybody else It is YOUR fault. Take hold of your life and change for your own good or just give up and pay the price. Sorry to be so blunt but I have seen so many people blame someone else but responsibility lies within yourself.Results will come when you put forth the effort, so stop feeling sorry for youself and thinking of excuses and get with the program. By the way my blood sugar is rarely above 120 and my last A1C was 5.9.Also dropped 55 pounds!

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Brother you have my empathy. I was diagnosed one year ago last April with a fasting glucose of 514. Same symptoms, blurry vision, constant thirst and fatigue. I weighed 335lbs and had a 54" waist.

My best advice...start with small goals and remember any adjustments you make for 30 days straight will become a good habit.

#1. Lay off soda and sugary drinks....including diet drinks w/ artificial sweeteners. They leave you unsatisfied and craving more sweets. Drink copious amounts of water and if you need flavor, check out Mio water enhancer.

#2. If in doubt, go with protein. It metabolizes slower making you feel full longer and provides a more stable source of energy. Try to get at least 40% of your food calories from protein...chicken and fish preferably.

#3. Never let yourself get hungry. Divide up your meals into 5 or 6 instead of 3. Once you get hungry you will most likely overeat.

#4. Find foods that you like that are also healthy...this can be tricky. Do some research and be prepared for frustration until your menu develops. Healthy Recipes, Healthy Eating, Healthy Cooking | Eating Well has some great ideas for everything from sandwiches to entrees.

#5. Remember this is about lifestyle change...not dieting. Diets are a fad and as soon as you go off you will end up in the same boat.

#6. Start exercise slowly...walking is great exercise, low impact and can reap huge benefits over time. If all you can do is 15 minutes walking around the parking lot at work then do it. Every step counts!

#7 Set small weight loss goals and celebrate when you reach them. A burger or Pizza in reasonable amounts as a reward are ok. This way you don't feel guilty and it will help motivate you.

I don't know what your results will be but I am now at 220lbs with sugar under control, an A1C of 5.5, and no meds. You will certainly be in my prayers and if you have any questions send me a message. Good luck brother!
Great tips/advice!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am also type II. Gunpoors advise is right on. another thing to remember is that you are human, you will cheat everynow and then. Just recognise this and limit your portions. I have lost 50 lbs in the last year with diet and exersice. Vision is better than what it was 10 years ago and stamina has improved in all aspects of life.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Not to get anyone’s hopes up. 3 years ago we went to FL to see family. I was watching the Orlando news (WESH). They had one of those health breaks segments on. It was about a CURE for diabetes found in India. Something found in cow urine. It was being tested on lab animals. I bet they said it was a cure and not a treatment a half dozen times if not more. I had told other people about this and some of them said they heard the same thing. They didn’t specify if it was for type I or type II. If it turns out to be a proven cure I wonder how many years it would take the FDA to approve it? I’ve said from day one that this country doesn’t want to or will ever find a cure. There’s too much money in drugs and treatment for diabetes and other diseases. Yeah the almighty dollar comes before the people.

As 1st time SR9 said
make sure you get your eyes checked if you start seeing changes and odd stuff happening to your eyes. I go every year in fact I went a week ago for my annual diabetic eye exam.

Reading some of the posts here gives me a feeling of hope. I need to force myself to try and do more and start watching my diet better.I'm now disabled and haven't worked for almost 6 years and I have put on 40 pounds or so.As my DR said if I would take the weight off I would get off the drugs at least most of them if not all. He said I'd be diabetes free.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I've been diabetic for almost 25 years, type 2, and four shots a day. If you don't have time to go to the gym, walk. Every day, whatever distance you can do. No soda, even diet soda is good for you, drink water. Or unsweetened ice tea, or lemonade sweetened with stevia. Weight control is hard, I know that for a fact, do the bests you can, and don't beat yourself up about it. Stress and aggravation will raise your blood sugar. You can control diabetes, it takes effort, but eventually it becomes routine to you.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Another here! Has been about 7 years. Under control (JUST) with meds, BUT no changes in my living. If I made those changes, I would be so much better off! Biggest problem now-days is work stress! Trying to fix that, but up to the boss!

Like many of you, eyes is a big thing, and what triggered me finding I had diabetes!

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
greetings all;
type 2 is a bad deal. the good thing is, if you are over weight, having the gastric bypass surgery stops your diabetes immediately and makes losing weight much, much easier. the ensuing weight loss lowers blood pressure, reduces cholesterol levels, helps sleep apnea tremendously and improves your overall health. Dixie is a good place to have it done.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Another Type II here, diagnosed about five years ago. I'm on Metformin and Glipizide twice a day and my A1c is 5.1. My wife was also a Type II, but after a gastric bypass she is off all medications. After my diagnosis I did research on all the pitfalls of the disease and freaked out at the implications. I'm now more comfortable with my treatment plan and am hopeful that I can avoid most of the dangers involved with being diabetic. Hang in there, devise a plan, and stick with it. Best wishes.

Kenny

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
I was tested as being 'pre-diabetic'...and it scared the crap outta me!

I had been a high school biology teacher and athletic trainer (with a work schedule of 7:30am - 9:30pm M-F, and 8-12 hours on Saturdays) and had been eating from a cafeteria, a consession stand, and carry-out/fast-food for 20 years. I switched to the collegiate level (to get away from all the paperwork associated with teaching) and increased my work hours, but eating the same way!

I discovered a company called www.522931.bodybyvi.com (and press play)...which has helped me lose the weight and work toward getting back in shape! I recently quit my other jobs...and am working to promote VISALUS full-time! It's simply a 90-day challenge to lose weight, feel better, and live better! It's easy and it's awesome!

Please PM me if you wish to know more!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Greetings All,

I am of the opinion the drug companys have the cure, but find it more profitable to continue with other drugs to make money. Consider this, The drugs I pay ten dollars per pill here in the states cost one dollar in Mexico. WHY??? :eek:

moondog911 :cool:

·
Registered
247 Posts
I've been diabetic for about 7 years and I use to drink soda ( coke) all day and not much less .Mine is controlled by pills but I cut out soda altogether and lost about 40 pounds and that's about it. My Grand father was a big time shooter and he didn't control his and he went blind and not beening able to shoot and hunt just about killed him . Take care of your self

1 - 20 of 33 Posts