Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone plan any changes for their EDC weapon or setup for 2016 ?

Anything you would REALLY like to get instead of what you have?

I had switched my EDC from Beretta 92 to CZ 75 PCR compact last year.

But plan no real changes this year.

With summer and lighter cloths on the way, I would like to maybe add a LCR 9mm to MY mix for a backup / pocket carry.

My wife has the LCR 22 mag,. But it was her first gun owned ever, and I need written permission signed by two heads of state just to touch it,,
so I guess "borrowing" it is out. :mad:

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I went and entirely different direction for this year. Sold the LCR 357 (I know I'll get flamed!) and replaced it with two EDC guns. I now carry an LCP custom in my pocket, and a Walther P99C-AS on my strong side hip. I never really fell in love with the LCR. It was a nice weapon, but it never really screamed accuracy for me, and did not fit in my jeans pocket very well. In the office, the LCP is the ideal candidate for pocket carry. I'm much more accurate with the LCP also.
The Walther is just plain awesome for my main CCW. I've had it for a few weeks now, and it's a tack driver. The trigger set up is perfect for CC in my opinion. DA/SA with a striker-fired gun. Decocker allows me to carry in DA or anti stress SA mode. Double strike capable, 10+1 capacity with pinky extension, or 15+1 with mag extension. It was a no brainer for me to make the change.
I really do like my revolvers and never had a semi auto until this year, but can say I'm happy with the move.

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went and entirely different direction for this year. Sold the LCR 357 (I know I'll get flamed!) and replaced it with two EDC guns. I now carry an LCP custom in my pocket, and a Walther P99C-AS on my strong side hip. I never really fell in love with the LCR. It was a nice weapon, but it never really screamed accuracy for me, and did not fit in my jeans pocket very well. In the office, the LCP is the ideal candidate for pocket carry. I'm much more accurate with the LCP also.
The Walther is just plain awesome for my main CCW. I've had it for a few weeks now, and it's a tack driver. The trigger set up is perfect for CC in my opinion. DA/SA with a striker-fired gun. Decocker allows me to carry in DA or anti stress SA mode. Double strike capable, 10+1 capacity with pinky extension, or 15+1 with mag extension. It was a no brainer for me to make the change.
I really do like my revolvers and never had a semi auto until this year, but can say I'm happy with the move.
You certainly wont get "flamed" by me. I think people should carry what they work best with. And we are all different. My only Rugers are my SA hunting revolvers, which I wont ever trade. . I do like the wifes LCR 22 mag, and would like to try one in a 9mm. My Auto's are ALL either Beretta 92's or CZ 75 series. I like hammer fired metal pistols, and I love the decocker's.

I never tried a Walther, and certainly never heard anyone complain either. Looks like a nice ergonomic piece to me. I stumbled on to my CZ 75 PCR last year and just love it. best EDC that Ive ever had. I still like my 92's,, but the 75 PCR is a way better EDC for me, for all the right reasons.

·
Super Moderator
16,240 Posts
DCD ... I don't know if it's a bit of nostalgia, how easy it carries or how well it shoots, but my recently acquired FEG Hi Power continues to find it's way into my holster on an almost daily basis for the past 5 or so weeks. I suspect my Springfield Micro and CZ RAMI are in the nightstand plotting against it :eek:

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
You certainly wont get "flamed" by me. I think people should carry what they work best with. And we are all different. My only Rugers are my SA hunting revolvers, which I wont ever trade. . I do like the wifes LCR 22 mag, and would like to try one in a 9mm. My Auto's are ALL either Beretta 92's or CZ 75 series. I like hammer fired metal pistols, and I love the decocker's.

I never tried a Walther, and certainly never heard anyone complain either. Looks like a nice ergonomic piece to me. I stumbled on to my CZ 75 PCR last year and just love it. best EDC that Ive ever had. I still like my 92's,, but the 75 PCR is a way better EDC for me, for all the right reasons.
I was torn between a CZ Compact or the Walther. I had the chance to hold the Walther and really liked the ergos and actually like the paddle mag release. If I could have put my hands on a CZ my decision may have been different. I could definitely see a CZ down the road at some point. I've heard nothing but good reviews.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Anyone plan any changes for their EDC weapon or setup for 2016 ?
Things change as things change. I have no long-term plans as far as carry choices or methods but, just as the reason I carry suggests, I have no idea what will come up in the next year, months, weeks, days, hours or minutes.

Well, except that I need to go get groceries this morning.

Jeff

·
Registered
173 Posts
I was worried about the 5 round capacity of my LCR and the minimal ballistic performance of my LCP so in January I bought a Glock 27 subcompact .40 and I'm really liking it. The LCR and LCP will still have a spot in my rotation when I'm in my summer clothes but I've been carrying the Glock daily as of now. I'm comforted knowing I have 10 rounds of .40 at my disposal if I need it. I pocket carry a lot and the Glock is about the same size as my LCR but it's weight is considerably more. I carried it last evening in my cargo shorts and it wasn't to bad even though there's a few more ounces there. It's a great shooter though for such a small pistol and the trigger is great. I'm very pleased overall with it.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I recently switched from a 2" stainless Taurus 617, a 7 shot 357(great revolver, by the way) to a Kahr CM45. I had wanted a Ruger SR45c, but that has never been offered(although hinted at for years). The Kahr is a striker fired, DAO subcompact 45 that carries 5+1 in standard configuration, and has a 6+1 option with an extended magazine. With the small mag, it fits in a jacket pocket perfectly, and with the extended mag, carries so well in my Kangaroo Carry, I almost forget its there. I like the CM45 so well, I bought another Kahr as a backup, a CW45, which is essentially the same gun, but with an extra 1/2" of barrel and slide, and a 6 round magazine and grip length.

I keep my Kahrs loaded with 185 gr +P Remington Golden Saber 45 ACP

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
DCD ... I don't know if it's a bit of nostalgia, how easy it carries or how well it shoots, but my recently acquired FEG Hi Power continues to find it's way into my holster on an almost daily basis for the past 5 or so weeks. I suspect my Springfield Micro and CZ RAMI are in the nightstand plotting against it :eek:
Ive never had or touched a FEG HiPower, but thats another one Ive never heard anyone complaining about,, And THAT speaks volumes in my book.

Yup, your micro and rami are prolly hatchin some sort of DASTARDLY plot. We ALL know how guns can do very bad things ALL BY THEMSELVES. :rolleyes: :D

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I was torn between a CZ Compact or the Walther. I had the chance to hold the Walther and really liked the ergos and actually like the paddle mag release. If I could have put my hands on a CZ my decision may have been different. I could definitely see a CZ down the road at some point. I've heard nothing but good reviews.
When I picked up the CZ PCR. I was actually looking for a small EDC for my wife. I EDC carried a 92FS for over 25 years 90% of the time. She had basically graduated from the LCR 22 mag, and was wanting an auto. I had looked at both a Sig and Walther online, but when I got to the LGS, they had neither in stock to handle. But the salesman handed me the PCR. The feel on it was great. It just kinda layed right in my hand like it belonged there.
Even though it was just a tic big for her purpose, when he told me $500 brand new, I bit.

My wife really liked shooting it, but as I kinda already knew, :rolleyes:, it was too big to fit in her purse. So I got to keep it for me. :D
At the advice from a well known moderator on here,, I called Buds and ordered a CZ Rami. That was a match made in heaven for her. She has small hands, and the Rami being small, was a perfect fit. She loves it and shoots it very well, better than me in fact.
One nice thing about the CZ's is, My 75 BD mags work in the PCR and both the BD and PCR mags work in the Rami. So as long as I keep a few extra 16 round BD mags around the house, vehicle, etc,, no matter which pistol you have, there are always loaded mags handy in you would ever need them.
And the BD and PCR uppers also interchange on the frames and work no problem. So if you want a short barreled high capacity, or a long barreled 14 rounder for better accuracy,, the option is there.

·
Super Moderator
4,064 Posts
My primary carry has been a S&W J-frame 38spl that I usually just stuck in my pocket. There's nothing wrong with a 38 snubbie for personal protection against some knucklehead with a knife or a couple of unarmed thugs trying to rob you. However with current events such as they are and the rise of domestic Muslim terrorism I felt it was time to step it up a bit in terms of firepower.

My caliber of choice has always been 45ACP so I've been occasionally carrying a Sig commander sized 1911. Mine rides very comfortably in a Mitch Rosen holster behind my right hip but being an all stainless steel pistol it is significantly (no pun intended) heavier than my Airweight J-frame. I've been looking for a deal/bargain on an alloy framed single stack 45ACP. I was leaning towards a Sig P220 of some sort. Possibly even a DAK. I didn't give much thought to an alloy framed 1911 until someone offered me a Ruger Lightweight Commander in trade a few days ago.

Long story short I think I've found my new EDC in the Ruger. I can't believe how much lighter it feels on my hip than my all steel Sig. Don't get me wrong. I'm a Sig guy through and through when it comes to semi auto pistols but this new (to me) Ruger has been a bit of a surprise. It's a great shooter and it eats everything I've fed it with zero problems at all. I need to put some more rounds down range to solidify my trust in it but so far it looks like my new EDC for 2016 will be a Ruger 1911 Lightweight Commander.

BTW, this is my 1500th post. Do I get a cookie or something?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Sig P938 for me. No changes other than the holster. Winter time I use a n82 IWB. Summer it goes in the Sig pocket holster in my back pocket.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I just switched to the Sig P938 so I will probably not swap out anytime soon...I did just switch to a new pocket holster though and I am very happy with the new one.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I got a Ruger LCR 9mm to take the place of my Glock 26 as my BUG at work. I only carried my G26 at work, in an ankle rig, and it wasn't easy to get to. I didn't like it (not a fan of Glocks personally), and wasn't comfortable for me off duty.

The LCR has been with me every day since I got it in January except for one day. When I go to court out of uniform, I carry my Colt Defender.

I'm quite happy with 5 rounds, and I carry a speed strip with 5 more rounds of 9mm on the very off chance I will need a reload after 5. Those second 5 won't eject easily due to the fact they're rimless, so I only carry one speed strip. I don't plan on storming the Walmart to take on a hoard of ISIS members with bombs. I'll just use it to get OUT of the Walmart if needed. I don't do explosives. Been there, done that.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
I got rid of my GP100MC and I am looking for a SP101. Primary is and will continue to be the SR1911, but when it is hot, I can see where the smaller SP101 will conceal better. That's the main reason I got rid of the GP100.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I got rid of my GP100MC and I am looking for a SP101. Primary is and will continue to be the SR1911, but when it is hot, I can see where the smaller SP101 will conceal better. That's the main reason I got rid of the GP100.
I have the SP101 and love carrying it in a Simply Rugged Pancake holster. I have the 2.25", but wish I would have gotten the 3". Extra length in the barrel wouldn't do much to hinder concealment.

·
Super Moderator
21,398 Posts
BTW, this is my 1500th post. Do I get a cookie or something?
Yup look in your temporary internet files folder. :p

I pocket carry a S&W 642 and will continue with that set up. If we take the RV to AK then my choices will be narrowed down to none.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.