Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't find any specific posts on here about doing a SP101 trigger job. Anyone have any good website or info for doing this? I've done my SR9 and now I feel like its time to do my SP101, eventually do some work on my MarkIII. I need a good step by step guide for this, I'm not worried that its beyond my ability if I can get some good instructions.

·
Banned
549 Posts
agreed- this is an excellent link. I used it to great effect. I would add (as others have mentioned elsewhere in this forum) that in addition to everything Kevin Wilson mentions I would also completely deburr/sand all 4 sides/edges of the hammer strut where the spring rides on it. He "shaft" part of the arrow-looking strut, if you will. He does say to carefully sand rough spots, but in this area of the strut you can be more aggressive.

Also, I strongly recommend shimming the trigger/hammer/hammerdog. triggershims.com will hook you up with nice stainless shims. Sure you could make your own, but these are perfect.

With this action job, a 12# hammer spring and good shims you will have yourself a wonderfully smooth action.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
It used to be online but was removed by Iowegan after there were complaints about copyrights. He also printed some manuals at one time on how to tune various Rugers but had problems I guess with people ordering but not paying.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I asked a little while ago

"Nick, The IBOKs were pulled off the forum over three years ago. I wrote 3 books called "Gun Guides" that I had published and sold them here on the forum. I ran out about 6 months ago and haven't had any more printed because I lost a couple hundred bucks on the deal. I probably won't offer them again.
Gary"

Do you guys thing the shims are a big deal and which kit should I order?

·
Banned
549 Posts
I asked a little while ago

"Nick, The IBOKs were pulled off the forum over three years ago. I wrote 3 books called "Gun Guides" that I had published and sold them here on the forum. I ran out about 6 months ago and haven't had any more printed because I lost a couple hundred bucks on the deal. I probably won't offer them again.
Gary"

Do you guys thing the shims are a big deal and which kit should I order?
Yes, they are a big deal. triggershims.com is where many of us go. I like that they are stainless shims, come in a circlular form and in an assortment of sizes. Just be sure to rub them on a stone or some 1500 grit to make sure they are burr-free.

You can either measure carefully beforehand and order just what you need, or do what I did and order a large kit and have extras. I have already used some of the extras on an old .22 that had a loose trigger.

See my notes above of what I recommend. As soon as you install the shims you will get why those of us that use them feel so strongly about it. They just make mechanical sense when you see them in place.

·
Banned
549 Posts
Good luck! it really is a fun project as long as you keep your work area clean and clear and have a few horus to devote to it.

One thing to look out for when you have the gun apart is to make sure you do not sand/stone/deburr the mating surfaces between the trigger assembly and the frame or you will ruin the nice clean line where they meet. That is perfectly obvious when the gun is assembled, but it is easy to forget when it is all apart and you are knocking down sharp edges left and right.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I just put a Wolf 12lb hammer spring in my 101 and it made a great improvement for me, I've got about 500 rounds through it, going to do a complete trigger job one of these days, may sound like a stupid question but what exactly do the shims do?

·
Registered
367 Posts
I just checked out the triggershims.com videos and learned how to do it, I can see where they will help, Weblance : thanks for the info

·
Registered
294 Posts
Today I replaced the factory hammer spring on my SP101 with a Wolff 12lb spring. I also lightly polished the hammer strut and sear, but didn't sand anything. There's some improvement but it now feels "gritty." Pretty sure I put everything back the right way. Any suggestions? Could it be the new spring?

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Great Link! It's where the one I used to 'fine tune' my Ruger Trigger work abilities!

Suggestion...try taking it apart and putting it back together a few times...you'll master it quickly!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
...also completely deburr/sand all 4 sides/edges of the hammer strut where the spring rides on it. He "shaft" part of the arrow-looking strut, if you will. He does say to carefully sand rough spots, but in this area of the strut you can be more aggressive...

...recommend shimming the trigger/hammer/hammerdog. triggershims.com will hook you up with nice stainless shims...

With this action job, a 12# hammer spring and good shims you will have yourself a wonderfully smooth action.
Great tips/additions to Kevin's website. I also sanded the edges of the cylinder ratchet, mine had flash on every edge (action jammed when pulling hammer to SA on two of the five chambers). I folded over a piece of 600 grit 3M wet/dry and used it like a file.

Light touch and slow progress on every step from Kevin's excellent instructions made a great improvement in my SP101 trigger and fixed the jamming action issue. I used a magnifying glass to examine my work/progress.

I've dry cycled my trigger for at least 1000 times and the trigger just keeps getting better. New springs from Wolff should be here next week. I guess I'll have to shim next :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts