Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
There are no gun shows per se in new jersey. This is due to the fact that if a show member let a non licensed person handle a gun it would be a violation of our law. This is why walmart does not sell guns in nj. If the licensed gun cashier was sick and the manager put a non licensed cashier in the gun dept and the cashier handled a boxed gun while ringing it up the law would be violated and the cashier and the manager and the store could all be fined. This is what we in non free america have to put up with.

·
Banned
963 Posts
I couldn't find any but they have some in PA. I don't worry about it but I don't think I can purchase handguns outside of my home state. How do you guys in Jersey do it? You guys must really love Jersey. I recently met a girl who moved from Jersey and she went out and got a CCW and was asking my what kind of gun she should get to carry. There's a lot more to life than guns, well maybe not that much more, but maybe you might consider relocating to a gun friendlier state. We have 50 to choose from. Well you have 49 to choose from.

·
Registered
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I couldn't find any but they have some in PA. I don't worry about it but I don't think I can purchase handguns outside of my home state. How do you guys in Jersey do it? You guys must really love Jersey. I recently met a girl who moved from Jersey and she went out and got a CCW and was asking my what kind of gun she should get to carry. There's a lot more to life than guns, well maybe not that much more, but maybe you might consider relocating to a gun friendlier state. We have 50 to choose from. Well you have 49 to choose from.
Believe me the thought has occurred.

Thanks for the info guys.

·
Banned
738 Posts
A few years back, I went to the show that was held in Valley Forge, PA. They did have FFL's there to handle NJ transactions as I recall. I believe the show moved to another part of PA but can't remember where.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
working on that now, hopefully be complete by the end of the year, next year at the latest.

·
Registered
951 Posts
All of you guys who are quick to suggest that we move to a more gun friendly state don't seem to realize that if we did, the situation would only get worse. If we give up and let the Libs have it, do you think they're all just gonna stay here and not push their agenda elsewhere? NY, NJ, CA, we're on the front lines here. Can't just give up and walk away.

Nam Vet, not sure where you're at but if some of those PA shows aren't too far they may be worth the trip. If your looking to get a long gun there's no issue at all with a PA purchase. Handguns you would have to have shipped to your local FFL.

On another note, my father is a "Nam Vet" as well. After spending some time as a Drill Seargent he was shipped over in '68, I believe, with the 1st Cav.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
All of you guys who are quick to suggest that we move to a more gun friendly state don't seem to realize that if we did, the situation would only get worse. If we give up and let the Libs have it, do you think they're all just gonna stay here and not push their agent elsewhere? NY, NJ, CA, we're on the front lines here. Can't just give up and walk away.
In the past 30 years things have only become worse. I only have 20-30 years left in me and I don't plan on spending them fighting for gun rights in this over taxed, politically corrupt at all levels and parties, corrupt LEO's, and full of rude nasty people who have no respect for anyone, including their own families...

Enjoy your stay here while my family and I will be enjoying our lives in a free state

BTW, I was USAF 86-90

·
Registered
951 Posts
In the past 30 years things have only become worse. I only have 20-30 years left in me and I don't plan on spending them fighting for gun rights in this over taxed, politically corrupt at all levels and parties, corrupt LEO's, and full of rude nasty people who have no respect for anyone, including their own families...

Enjoy your stay here while my family and I will be enjoying our lives in a free state

BTW, I was USAF 86-90
Unfortunately, I'm stuck here until retirement since my wife's work is tied to the Stock Market and my kids are settled into their schools at this point. I'll likely be here another 20 years before heading south. Most of my wife's family has settled in North and South Caroline so that's likely where we'll end up.

My point was simply that advocating all gun owners leave the state won't help our cause in the least. I'm hoping they pass a federal reciprocity law at some point and NJ is forced to issue CCW permits. In the mean time I'll get my Florida, Utah, and Connecticut permits.

Good luck, and enjoy your retirement.

·
Banned
963 Posts

BTW, I was USAF 86-90
Where do you plan on heading to? I wasn't a big traveler but the military made me travel to different states and different countries. It makes it easier as a civilian to relocate somewhere else.

I've met people who love where they live and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. The really sad part is some of these people have not ventured beyond the borders of the state. I hear of people in NY not venturing out of their neighborhood.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
nam vet, i thought when i read the thread title that maybe this should have been in punchlines. :)

i wasn't into shooting back when i lived in SE PA, but as others have mentioned, i wouldn't be surprised if Pa had some, especially if you look into counties on the north or west side of philly (obviously, philly itself could be problematic). if you're willing to drive that distance, i'd see what's going on in lancaster cty, berks, bucks, MAYBE upper montco, and see what that gets you. good luck. i moved back to MT, not because it was gun friendly, but that's certainly been a nice side benefit, on top of a whole lot of other lifestyle pluses. my fiancee/whatever-she-is grew up largely in jersey. not my bestest most favoritest place (though in truth, there are some nice bits tucked away up in the NW corner of the state.

·
Banned
963 Posts
Don't Take It The Wrong Way

Unfortunately, I'm stuck here until retirement since my wife's work is tied to the Stock Market and my kids are settled into their schools at this point. I'll likely be here another 20 years before heading south. Most of my wife's family has settled in North and South Caroline so that's likely where we'll end up.

My point was simply that advocating all gun owners leave the state won't help our cause in the least. I'm hoping they pass a federal reciprocity law at some point and NJ is forced to issue CCW permits. In the mean time I'll get my Florida, Utah, and Connecticut permits.

Good luck, and enjoy your retirement.
You start by saying you're stuck. Then you say leaving is not the solution.

What I read is:
Due to financial and family obligations you would find it difficult to leave right now. Because you feel trapped you want others to join the fight to help you and not run. You also want the Federal government to increase their reach into state affairs to benefit you in a specific circumstance.

Okay if you're not angry yet this part may upset you. I already got one guy from Jersey mad at me I'm not trying for another. It's not my intention but when I express my opinion sometimes people get upset with me. So here we go.

I think family and financial reasons should be at the top of the list to decide where you live on that we can agree. Actions speak louder than words. Firearm companies leave states that are not gun friendly. People and corporations leave states that tax too much. If EVERYONE left states that didn't treat it's citizenry right that would send a message loud and clear. I am not going to try and tell you what you should do or even guess what that might be.

I want to decide what's best for me but would prefer the state that I live in have more control over what I can and cannot do rather than the Federal Government.

We all heard the saying where there's a will there's a way. People move and get new jobs all time I know I did. Kids get relocated all the time and live to tell about it. I know people that just up and leave their "home" where they were born and raised as I did. I know people that leave to live near relatives that previously fled to greener pastures of course we all know the grass seems greener on the other side of the (fence, city, state line, country, world). Sometimes it really is and we wonder why we didn't do things sooner.

·
Registered
951 Posts
You start by saying you're stuck. Then you say leaving is not the solution.

What I read is:
Due to financial and family obligations you would find it difficult to leave right now. Because you feel trapped you want others to join the fight to help you and not run. You also want the Federal government to increase their reach into state affairs to benefit you in a specific circumstance.

Okay if you're not angry yet this part may upset you. I already got one guy from Jersey mad at me I'm not trying for another. It's not my intention but when I express my opinion sometimes people get upset with me. So here we go.

I think family and financial reasons should be at the top of the list to decide where you live on that we can agree. Actions speak louder than words. Firearm companies leave states that are not gun friendly. People and corporations leave states that tax too much. If EVERYONE left states that didn't treat it's citizenry right that would send a message loud and clear. I am not going to try and tell you what you should do or even guess what that might be.

I want to decide what's best for me but would prefer the state that I live in have more control over what I can and cannot do rather than the Federal Government.

We all heard the saying where there's a will there's a way. People move and get new jobs all time I know I did. Kids get relocated all the time and live to tell about it. I know people that just up and leave their "home" where they were born and raised as I did. I know people that leave to live near relatives that previously fled to greener pastures of course we all know the grass seems greener on the other side of the (fence, city, state line, country, world). Sometimes it really is and we wonder why we didn't do things sooner.
We're a bit off topic here but-

First off, I'm not mad at ya! Lol And perhaps "stuck" was the wrong choice of words.

It's not that I want people to stay and fight with me, it just irks me a bit that whenever people from NJ, CA, NY or other non gun friendly states post, there are inevitably numerous respondents who suggest we leave. How does that help us as gun owners (by "gun owners" I mean the community, not the individual.) Also, as you stated, people have other obligations that trump their love of guns.

If I had an opportunity to make more money in another state it would be seriously considered but, to be honest, NJ isn't such a bad place. There are alot of positives to living here which I won't bother listing because that's not he point. There are also alot of negatives, as have been mentioned (gun laws, taxes, corruption, etc.)

My point is that you say if "everyone left" it would send a message, and I agree but, that's not what's being advocated here at all (nor would it ever happen). What's being suggested is that all "gun owners" leave. Well, I don't know if you noticed but, gun owners are in the minority here. The general population would likely be happy if we all left and took our guns with us. And therein lies the problem. NJ is one of the richest states in the Union, it's not going to crumble and disappear if some of us leave.

To look at it from another perspective. If you live in an area that sees a large influx of Muslims who are pressing the local/state government to pass laws that are more in line with their ideals and beliefs would you suggest that everyone currently living there who is not Muslim leave? Effectively creating a Muslim enclave? I mean, if you all leave it will send a message right? Or will it just solidify and empower the Muslim majority that's left? And if it did, will that somehow preserve your ideals or will it further threaten them.

I just think the knee jerk response of "just leave" is immature, and somewhat ignorant, as it doesn't consider the individual's circumstances, nor does it take into account the bigger picture.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
In this state it's all about the county you live in. Out here in Hunterdon,Warren,Morris or even parts of Somerset you would never know this is NJ. It's probably the same in some of the deep southern counties as well.

·
Registered
951 Posts
In this state it's all about the county you live in. Out here in Hunterdon,Warren,Morris or even parts of Somerset you would never know this is NJ. It's probably the same in some of the deep southern counties as well.
Nah, everyone thinks all of NJ is Newark airport and smoke stacks.

If someone dropped you in the Pine Barrens you wouldn't even know you were in the northeast. The 100+ miles of beach doesn't hurt either.

Paulnlee, I grew up 20 minutes from you. I work out in Hunterdon County all the time.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts