Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there has been discussion about this in the past, but visiting this morning with the Ruger rep at Ruger Days, I asked about the possibility of a Ruger lever action 22LR like the Henry, Marlin 39a etc. He said Ruger has discussed this in the past, but there are no plans in the near future, primarily because of the expense of a new design, tooling etc. He did think if Ruger had one though, it might sell for about $499, and could possibly work financially. In regard to the Marlin 39a, he did say that Ruger tried to buy Marlin Firearms but was unsuccessful, losing out to Remington. The old Ruger 96 did not meet with a warm reception, but if it had looked like an old west Winchester rather than a 10/22, it probably would have been a different story. I believe a Winchester/Marlin style 22LR lever made by Ruger would make a nice companion to the Single Sixes. What is the current competition? Will have to send a note to the CEO.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Something along the lines of a Henry Golden Boy 22lr? I've shot one at my range and it was a work of firearms art.The only thing that stops me from buying a rifle like that is consent from spouse and cash.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The Winchester 92 and 94 are ideal for carrying in one hand.
Simple duplication with at least as good a quality as the psot1949 models in .460 which would allow .454 Casull, .45 Colt, .4 Short etc in high intensity loadings would be welcomed, at a good price. All steel and no aluminum nor plastic, walnut no beech or plastic, no sharp corners or rough edges. provision as the pos49 for peep sight with two tapped and plugged screw holes on left side rear of receiver is ll that is needed. No mounts ofr ascope, which is foolish for such a firearm. Looks, feel and function, the goal perfecton.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I've owned a couple of Marlin 39A's over the years and a Browning BL22's.

My first Marlin (1966) was very good and I regret selling it. The later 39TDS (1992) had a rebounding trigger with a dreadful pull and I had no regrets selling it.

The Brownings was "cute" and nicely finished but had a very intricate action too complex for the average owner to fiddle with. That and the extremely short receiver that made scoping it very difficult convinced me to unload it too.

Between Marlin, Henry, Browning and the out-of-production Winchester 9422s still available, I think the market is really covered for lever action 22s.

·
Registered
81 Posts
No, I have a Henry ..22, and it is a fine piece, one of my favorites and one I love shooting. I think it would be difficult for Ruger to build one with enough differentiation from the Henry to interest me. I do love what Ruger does in innovating to fill holes in the marketplace, but I don't know there is a real hole to fill in the lever .22 space.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Winchester and Marlin no longer make the real good quality 22 lever guns and Henry pretty much has the cheaper pot metal market sewn up. Personally I purchased a Henry initially but once I found out what it was actually made of I went ahead and tracked down a real good example of a Winchester 9422.

If Ruger were to make one at the $400 mark it too would probably have to be made from pot metal or cheaper materials. No matter they couldn't make it of the same quality that the Winchester 9422 or Marlin 39a were and it would have to compete directly with Henry.

Either way it appears Ruger understands this wouldn't be an easy winner.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I love my BL-22 and while there are a couple of things to not love about it, as GP fan mentioned. The action is very complex and mine is not drilled and tapped for a scope, I personally do not wish it had a scope, newer versions are grooved for a scope mount. The short action and the short throw lever with the trigger as part of the lever adds a unique advantage for a 22 lever in speed and accuracy (watch some on youtube). My biggest beef at 1st was it is too glossy and seems like a fragile finish, after shooting it and knocking around for 20 plus years, it has "settled in". When I purchased the rifle used I chose it because it was a good deal price wise, at the time i would have preferred a Marlin 39. That has since changed and while I dearly love my 1950s 336 in 35 rem, I love this little BL-22 almost as much.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
It would be a tough sell for me. I have a 39A and I love how it looks and feels. I think that getting ruger to make one to go with their single actions would be a tough sell. Also, it would have to be designed and tooled up from scratch. I can’t think of any current ruger models that it would share parts with, this increasing development cost as well as the risk if it were to flop in the market. Even with the 96/22, the design was a modification of an existing high selling model in the product line. I don’t get the impression that ruger has the appetite for such a product at this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,014 Posts
I agree with others that said the market is already loaded with good quality 22LR lever actions. It would have to be something different to catch my attention. How about an1873 chambered in 22LR or 22Mag? CCH, octagonal barrel, factory short stroked. You get the idea. I don't even know if you could make a legitimate 1873 action in 22LR. If they can then they should offer one in an honest to God brass receiver 1866 version too. I doubt anyone could manufacture rifles like that at a price point that would entice most 22LR shooters but I'd sure like to buy one of each.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Henry Golden boy

I love my Henrys. Wifey has the golden boy .22 youth carbine.

I have the golden boy .357

They are so friggin beautiful I have mounted them on our living room wall.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Apparently a "good quality" Marlin 39A is still available but only through Marlin's Custom Shop as a special order. The MSRP is $3500!

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
A ruger 22lr or 22mag lever that had receiver load port and not a tube feed that requires tube break down

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
My lever action 22 is a Henry Frontier, 20'' barrel bbl. it's a nice enough gun and a very good shooter. The Aluminum receiver cover is a little in the cheap side but it's still a very good gun, and priced right.
It would be nice to see a USA made lever 22 though, that's one selling point Ruger could have. If Ruger made one something like the classic Marlin Mountie or the Winchester 9422 i'd have one for sure. For me it wouldn't need to be a take-down, just a good solid classic rifle with a steel receiver.

·
Premium Member
13,800 Posts
45 Colt or 357 Mag maybe................

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
Henry makes great ones and marlin is back to good quality. Not as good as 15 years ago but good quality. I do not know if ruger could achieve good retail numbers

·
Registered
131 Posts
No, I have a Henry ..22, and it is a fine piece, one of my favorites and one I love shooting. I think it would be difficult for Ruger to build one with enough differentiation from the Henry to interest me. I do love what Ruger does in innovating to fill holes in the marketplace, but I don't know there is a real hole to fill in the lever .22 space.
I would tend to echo this. For me to buy another .22, it would be 100 percent a want item, and as much as Ruger's are really the only brand I have a collection of, it would be hard to get me to buy anything other than a Henry in a .22 LR.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts