Ruger Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would be interested in one but it's not something I want. Marlin, Winchester, Browning, Rossi, Henry.......I can find one if I want it. I'm like many others here and wonder how could Ruger make it different enough to compete.

Now if they would make a .327 or 32 H&R. That I want. Probably not a big seller so it will likely remain on my want list.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
A good lever action, steel, copy a 39A, also a good steel .22 pump. Henrys are good rifles but they are pot metal. Ruger uses cast steel so the cost should not be extreme, although, Ruger prices on their revolvers have gone up to a point where they are about as expensive as a S&W revolver.

·
Registered
48 Posts
They made lever guns a while ago in 22 and 44.
I wanted to buy one but I am not a fan of the carbine style stock.

·
Registered
26 Posts
BL-22

I love my BL-22 and while there are a couple of things to not love about it, as GP fan mentioned. The action is very complex and mine is not drilled and tapped for a scope, I personally do not wish it had a scope, newer versions are grooved for a scope mount. The short action and the short throw lever with the trigger as part of the lever adds a unique advantage for a 22 lever in speed and accuracy (watch some on youtube). My biggest beef at 1st was it is too glossy and seems like a fragile finish, after shooting it and knocking around for 20 plus years, it has "settled in". When I purchased the rifle used I chose it because it was a good deal price wise, at the time i would have preferred a Marlin 39. That has since changed and while I dearly love my 1950s 336 in 35 rem, I love this little BL-22 almost as much.
Me too. I bought mine in 1985 because it had “The Look.” I was shopping for my first 22 rifle at a local hardware store and it caught my eye! It was priced competitively with the Marlin and Winchester. I agree with Vincent’s biggest beef; it was going to be a “safe queen” until it got its first “ding.” Unfortunately that happened pretty early in its life and it’s now a go-to fun gun. The action is quite complex and I have a manual but decided not to attempt a tear down.
Ruger would have a tough road to hoe IMHO.

Dave

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I have two 39A Mounties and three Browning BL-22's, plus one Winchester 9422. I Love lever action 22's. I have never been interested in a lever 10/22 so never even looked at a Ruger lever gun. Ugly and to me really not a lever gun.

If Ruger made a western style lever I would pick one up in a heart beat. That would be awesome. Big money maker, I don't know, the younger generation unless it is black and semi auto with a military style they are not interested in it. They like to blow through ammo as quick as they can. They have no interest in the classic lever actions.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Point of interest.
Mossberg has made a wood and steel ,made in the USA lever action 22LR for several years.
The model 464. Strangely the same model number as their 30-30.
But nobody ever buys one.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts