Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own 3 KA-BAR knives, my favorite is my new model 1211. I have big hands and this handle feels great and comes sharp enough to shave with. Had to use it to dress about 15 Grouse and it outperformed any other knife I have ever used (even though it is huge).

Do you have a favorite model of KA-BAR?
Any other brands you can suggest for an avid hunter/woodsmen?

If you dont like KA-BAR knives, why not?

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Nothing at all against the Ka-Bar...they're just not for me. I can, however, highly recommend that you give Cold Steel knives a look. If you check 'em out and find something you like, DON'T order it directly from them, you'll pay way too much; www.knifecenter.com has the whole CS line at substantially better prices.

·
Registered
843 Posts
been looking at obtaining one.
I have bayo's, different types / years for my Garand, M1 Carbine, and AR..
So naturally the KA-Bars come next, and would love to get a M3 fighting knife.

One of the best deals around right now, is this "Rack Grade" M4 M1 Carbine Bayo from the cmp.. for 15 bux, with leather washer grip, I buy one now and again, and use them for different general uses...
I had one sharpened by the local shop, darn, it's sharp as heck and holds it well.
https://estore.odcmp.com/store/catalog/catalog.aspx?pg=product&ID=PB005UNK&item=&sfv=&cat=BAY&desc=&udc=&mct=&vndr=&ba=&pmin=&pmax=&note1=&note2=&note3=&note4=&note5=&max=

So for a beginner KA-Bar shopper with other USGI , what model is representative of what is being used?
I see a bunch of variations, but not 100% sure if it's pure repro, or really the same our troops are getting ?

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Have one labeled USMC (I was RA Army) Picked it up in RVN. It and my Tokarev pistol are my two reminders of my days in (and near) Sunny Saigon.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I really like Ka-bar brand knives (I have four). My absolute favorite is the Kukri...The Bowie is good as well. I also have a "traditinal" ka-bar utility knife as well as a Mule folder...

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Ka-bar is pure Americana imo... my most recent is just a big beast of a knife. not very traditional, but very very cool.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
155 Posts
I got one in the spring of 1967. An "old" salty Sgt gave it to me just before he left country, said it would come in handy. I used it for everything from digging holes to opening C-Rats. I still have it today, over 45 years and just as good as ever.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts