Ruger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gor mine just past the serial number range where they fixed all the problems. This thing runs like a raped ape. 5x PA prism on top and Griffin linier comp on the front hanging off a Vickers blue force sling. Magpul locking buttstock . Runs off Magpul and DPMS metal mags great. The suppressor setting on the gas system works great. Any votes for it being the best AR 10 platform ever offered?

·
Registered
414 Posts
I wouldn't say the best but definitely a top tier rifle. I put my SR762 up against my friend's SCAR 17 all the time and get better groups. But he's one of those that shells out 3k for a rifle then runs crap ammo through it so could also be that. I got lucky when I found mine as it was made at the New Hampshire factory, same as my SR556. I remember reading about early issues with the 762 when it first came out and recall they were being manufactured at the newer Carolina factory. Absolutely no issues at all with mine other than the 9lb factory trigger. Swapped in the Elite 452 two stage and fixed that problem. Changed out the extra long receiver extension for a standard carbine length from CMMG along with their spring and double tungsten weighted AR10 buffer. Noticeable difference in recoil, not so much reduced , but smoother and with less "hop" when shooting from a rest. Also threw on a Ruger Precision stock n Deluxe Ergo grip and made a nifty short barrel DMR. Sucks they discontinued it but understandable considering the cost when compared to other DI AR10s. Keep thinking Ruger should release the AR-762 to go along with their DI 556 line. If they keep the street price around $1200 or less they'd have a real seller.

Air gun Machine gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've had mine for a few years now.
Though I haven't really shot it in forever, or any rifles for that matter.

It got a new scope months ago and I got out to get it zeroed a few weeks ago but found that this scope is not going to work for me.
The 1-8 that was on it, went on another rifle and I got that one zeroed anyway.
I should have left well enough alone and will probably put the 1-8 back on it.

Matrix makes the upper and lower for the SR762.
I should have bought an upper from them when they were in stock and $99.

Wouldn't take much to flesh it out for a DI 18" barrel, nothing propriety anyway.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
My favorite .308. The SR762 is a fine rifle.

Had two of the early production models. Ruger replace both, one week door to door, and both times threw in some extra stuff (mags, etc.) to make up for the trouble. Replacements have been flawless.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Does the variable gas system allow it to cycle subsonic ammo ?
Yes, assuming you'll be firing it suppressed. It has a 4 way adjustable regulator, just like the SR556's. Position "0" through "3"; 0 having no gas port, 1 having the smallest, 3 having the largest and 2 in between. Should be able to dial it for the ammo you're using.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Awesome, thanks. It sounds like I still need to plan on getting out of NJ! It's doubtful that even the most sophisticated rifles will have the range of adjustability to cycle subsonic .223 without a suppressor. However, it seems like .300 and up might cycle unsuppressed in some of the gas-adjustable rifles, but not all of them.

It's not surprising. The manufacturers of some of the most sophisticated weapons advertise stratospheric muzzle velocities. They've found customer preference for this, so I can't expect their range of adjustability to reach down into the subsonic range.

·
Registered
235 Posts
My SR762 is a fine rifle that I am proud to own. It had a few hiccups early but after a trip to SA it hasn't missed a beat since.

Air gun Machine gun Trigger Shotgun Wood

Automotive tire Air gun Camera accessory Trigger Camera lens

Reactions: 5timpy

·
Premium Member
15,274 Posts
I played with one when they were still making them Nice quality and built like a tank but it was 'front heavy' to me. Wish they still made the piston operated rifles

1 - 13 of 13 Posts