Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
out of all of my firearms, my Ruger GP100 .357 is my absolute favorite gun, but I am also a collector of Marlin rimfire rifles. I have a couple run-of-the-mills and a couple semi-rarities. I am currently searching for a nice OLD 39A or a Camp Carbine. I'm in the gun biz, so they will come my way eventually. Anyone else into Marlins ? Show me some pics! (been though all the Marlin forums already...need some fresh pics)
Glenfield 70
99M1
989M2
25MN .22WMR
883SS .22WMR

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
At the moment, my only marlins are two old "glenfield" box bolt actions i picked up at garage sales. They shot well enough.

Of utility 22's, i've always liked the tube feed models better. Lots of folks like the marlin 22 magnums as they are more affordable than anything else out there.

My favorite is one i can't have---too dang high dollar----but i got to try out one of those 1897 annie oakly levers that a feller had bought as a shooter instead of a collector. Fantastic wood, blueing, and engraving with perfect balance.

The standard 39 can't hold a candle to the feel of that `1897.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,471 Posts
Marlin lever guns are just a perfect partner to Ruger SA revolvers. Here's a 1894C in 357 Mag shown with a 357 Ruger Blackhawk and a Western knife.

·
16,471 Posts
Here's another one for you Calvin. A Model 39A Golden .... one of the best 22s ever.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
With the price of Ammo. 22's are what I shoot most, and that looks like a great one. I might have to take a look at Marlin's website. :)

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I have in my collection a Marlin Glenfield Model 60 that I was given for Christmas in 1983 at the age of 9. I bought a companion piece for it last year in a Glenfield 75 carbine that was in great shape. I love my Marlin Rimfires.

·
16,471 Posts
Calvin, Don't know if you knew .... Marlin anounced they were being bought by Remington on Dec 26, 2007. Don't know if the deal went through or not but Marlin does have the news release on their web site. In my area, used Marlin lever guns have really gone up in price ... probably a copy cat of Winchester. See News: http://www.marlinfirearms.com/

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
My understanding is that the deal did go through on that Marlin/Remington thing.

Cerberus holdings now owns Remington. They've also aquired Bushmaster and just recently Marlin.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great lookin levers guys !
I have got to find a good one. One came into the store where I work a couple months ago (39A) that was probably 40 or so years old, but some wannabe artist carved some corny design into the stock. Had to pass on it.
once again, purdy levers !!!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have a glenfield 60 that I just love. I have run more rounds through that little gun than anything else I have. Just purchased a Marlin 1895 in 45/70 that is a real kick to shoot.(pun intended):D

·
Registered
219 Posts
I also love 1894 Marlins. In fact, I bought a 1894 .45LC today. A couple of weeks ago got a .44Mag to join the .32 H&R Mag and .357. These are all the newer editions with the oldest being the .44 mag from 1982. Looking for a .41 Mag to go with my NMBH .41, then will have all the Rugers matched up with lever guns. The one none-Marlin lever gun is the Henry 001 that goes with the Single Sixes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I like my Marlins also. The 39A is lots of fun. Have a 1895GS, 1895xlr both in 45/70. Shot a 1894 357, today. Might have to get one of those. Been looking for a 1894PG 44 mag. Hope to find a nice one.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I just sold a Marlin 39a excellent condition to a buddy of mine it was produced in
1960 , i also have a 1894 cowboy 45 lc & a marlin 60ssk
SL.

·
Code Slinger
2,203 Posts
I shot competition with a Marlin 2000 Target rifle a little over 10 years ago. They are excellent rifles.

·
Banned
108 Posts
I have the 1894 .44 mag in stainless steel which I really like. I would like to find one of Marlin's Camp Carbines in.45 ACP though. Very nice guns - all those who posted pics!!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
ive had numerous marlins over the years , always liked them , but always trade them ??? used to pick up the glenfield 60's and refinsh the stocks the one withthe squirrels and the 30/30's with the deer scene on them , never figured why they put really cool stocks on their budget line of rifles?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yep. I love pre-safety Marlin leverguns, particularly the 39 series and the 1894s. Got more than one 39A, a Mountie, and a pre-safety 1894 in .44 and one in .357.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts