Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. Been carrying my SR1911 in a Milt Sparks Summer Special with a Galco SB2 belt for about 3 months now. Love the gun, but I guess my age and past back surgery are not agreeing with the weight and size. I have really liked the feeling of security I have with the .45 round, but need a lighter gun. Don't like plastic Glock style guns.

I've been looking at the Bersa Thunder compact .45. Very light, pretty compact, and all of the features I like. I've read really good reviews with very few negative comments.

So, any of you have any experience with this gun? Does it conceal well?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Bump. I'm also curious about this gun and was hoping someone had thoughts as well...i especially like the size and features combination (ie alloy frame, single/double action, 3.6 barrel, etc) which are, from what I've seen, a rather atypical breed...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bump. I'm also curious about this gun and was hoping someone had thoughts as well...i especially like the size and features combination (ie alloy frame, single/double action, 3.6 barrel, etc) which are, from what I've seen, a rather atypical breed...
Thanks for the bump. I have really been reading very positive things about this gun. Reliability seems better than the ultra compact 1911's. My main concern is the thickness. I found one in a local store and laid it next to a Rock Island Compact 1911. It looked, and felt a considerably thicker, but when I eyeballed it from counter level it really did not appear that much thicker. The owner was not big about me putting it in my waist band, so I did not get to try that. I've about convinced myself to buy one and see how it works for everyday carry. It seems like a lot of gun for the money. Also, I saw a new model on the Bersa site which has a nickle frame and blue barrel. Looks great. I called and they said it is not available now, but will be in a few months. I've also heard that holsters are kind of hard to find for this model. I wish someone who carries this gun would chime in.

Here is a link to the new model.

Bersa Thunder .45 UC Pro Duo-Tone (Matte/Nickel) Finish

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have one ultra compact.45, da/sa like the p series ruger, its kinda heavy to me and the kick has a bite to it. However it is very durable and for the price, i would try it..You might try a 40 cal. That is what I carry for the same reasos you have. I think bersa is the most underated firearms made.Kinda like seagull guitars.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I have a friend that has one, loves it. Its also issued to a couple military's and police in South America.

Its not a crappy name, just hasnt built a big name. Maybe someone will do to it what Ruger did to the HS2000

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well. I'll answer my own post. Most of the Bersa .45 compacts I've seen locally have been in the $420 to $450 price range. I was in a small shop outside of Atlanta last Saturday and they had one NIB for $360.00. For the price, I thought what the heck.

It's not a super light gun, but it is 12oz lighter than my SR1911. This makes a big difference. I carry from 7:00am until I go to bed around 11:00pm. I really feel the difference in weight. Though smaller, I'm not sure it really conceals much better than the SR1911. The 1911 is a thin gun, the Bersa is not. Still trying out different holsters, so my opinion may change if I find the right one.

Range report. Excellent. Shot 100 rounds of different ammo. No Jams. The slide locked back one time while ammo was still in the gun, I think from an improper hold. Think my thumb pushed up the slide lock, changed my grip. Very fun gun to shoot. Recoil is straight back, muzzle does not jump up much, making rapid fire more accurate than my 1911. A lot of features for $360. Polygonal rifling, front rail, safety/decocker, double action or single action, 2 mags. Taking the gun down is the easiest of any gun I've owned. Move the take down lever and the slide comes right off. Barrel and spring come right out of slide. Putting back just as easy. You really could do this blind folded.

I like it. Here she is:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That two tone one you said was coming out sure is a pretty gun.
Yeah, I really like the looks too. When I was looking I found out that they are actually available now. It is an Academy Sports special, but they only carry in the 9MM. They sell it for $399.00. I came close, but just really like the .45 round. A select few distributors have the .45. I found the .45 online for about $425.00 and one locally for $470.00. I toyed with paying the extra, but considering that it stays concealed for 90% of the time, I could not pass on the $360.00 price. I like the way the standard looks too.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well. I'll answer my own post. Most of the Bersa .45 compacts I've seen locally have been in the $420 to $450 price range. I was in a small shop outside of Atlanta last Saturday and they had one NIB for $360.00. For the price, I thought what the heck.

It's not a super light gun, but it is 12oz lighter than my SR1911. This makes a big difference. I carry from 7:00am until I go to bed around 11:00pm. I really feel the difference in weight. Though smaller, I'm not sure it really conceals much better than the SR1911. The 1911 is a thin gun, the Bersa is not. Still trying out different holsters, so my opinion may change if I find the right one.

Range report. Excellent. Shot 100 rounds of different ammo. No Jams. The slide locked back one time while ammo was still in the gun, I think from an improper hold. Think my thumb pushed up the slide lock, changed my grip. Very fun gun to shoot. Recoil is straight back, muzzle does not jump up much, making rapid fire more accurate than my 1911. A lot of features for $360. Polygonal rifling, front rail, safety/decocker, double action or single action, 2 mags. Taking the gun down is the easiest of any gun I've owned. Move the take down lever and the slide comes right off. Barrel and spring come right out of slide. Putting back just as easy. You really could do this blind folded.

I like it. Here she is:

Aaaaata boy. Thanks for the update - I am seriously considering the same one and have been for a while - seems like a great price for a subcompact aluminum frame (I just kinda detest polymer in general, save for smaller calibers). Plus, as I understand it you get a life time warranty for buying new...

Glad to hear the recoil isn't as bad as was advertised...not that I mind too much - my other pistols are 357's- but the only 45's i ever shot were 1911's and I felt they were no greater jolt than a 40 xd...

Reaaaaly like the looks, price and all I've read on these pistols...thanks again...I'll update if I get one myself (birthday is next week so the wife might lemme get after it)...

Please update if you taker 'er back to the range or find any other good holsters for cc...thanks again

·
Banned
270 Posts
A friend of mine bought a Bersa Thunder in 9x19 recently. She was aghast when she found tht extra magazines cost $45. If I owned a 1911 and weight became a consideration, I would look for an alloy frame commander-sized 1911. No need to buy extra magazines that fit only one pistol, and with any luck, the excellent Milt Sparks holster won't much care if it is filled with a full-sized 1911 or its slightly abbreviated descendant.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
A friend of mine bought a Bersa Thunder in 9x19 recently. She was aghast when she found tht extra magazines cost $45. If I owned a 1911 and weight became a consideration, I would look for an alloy frame commander-sized 1911. No need to buy extra magazines that fit only one pistol, and with any luck, the excellent Milt Sparks holster won't much care if it is filled with a full-sized 1911 or its slightly abbreviated descendant.
Yeah, mags are expensive, but it comes with 2, should suit me for years to come. I love 1911's and looked at the light compact models (that's what I really wanted). Seemed like they were all $800+. I just don't have that kind of money right now. The small 1911's that are not alloy, are not light. So, maybe one day, I will go that route. But... for $360.00 with all of the features, weight, size, lifetime warranty, great reviews from owners, the fact that it has eaten any ammo I've fed it, it's accurate, and a blast to shoot, I'm pretty happy!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thanks for the info on this new Bersa. Like already stated, they don't seem to get the recognition they deserve which stems only from the lack of a "Designer" name and not the lack of quality or dependability. Maybe they should have went with a "cooler" name like "XTC Arms" or something. "Introducing the new XTC Thunder .45 ultra compact." Now that sounds cool !:D

·
Registered
101 Posts
Bersa compact 45 ACP

I work part time at a gun shop, and we carry the full Bersa line. They are a really good seller. We have sold a number of the compact 45 ACP model the last year or so, and have had no complaints about them. I myself have been eyeing the full size Thunder 9. As I understand, the full size Thunder 9 is used by Argentine some of the police/military agencies.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the info on this new Bersa. Like already stated, they don't seem to get the recognition they deserve which stems only from the lack of a "Designer" name and not the lack of quality or dependability. Maybe they should have went with a "cooler" name like "XTC Arms" or something. "Introducing the new XTC Thunder .45 ultra compact." Now that sounds cool !:D
I would have bought 2 if they had a name like that! One for each hand.

·
Registered
139 Posts
http://http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i480/nofickenway/07354997.jpg

Got ,my uc last Thursday, first trip to the range this morning with 100 rnds and I am totally impressed. Love this gun. Comfortable shooter, accurate, feature rich, super manageable recoil and as accurate as I will ever need it to be right out of the box...wow. Strongly recommend that anyone looking for a concealable but still range-worthy 45 should take notice, no reason to spend twice as much. I am sure it's specific to me but these are some of the best-fitting grips I've ever shot with. Some will say the gun is a bit blocky, always a concern for cc, but I feel it wil be easily concealable and like the very slight extra meat...LOVE THE ALUMINUM FRAME!

Anyway- go out and get one today...I doubt there is much difference in the full size or other calibers...nice to have a lifetime warranty for the original purchaser, all the mor reason to hang on to it. Do a little research and you'll see that bersa has been making guns a long time and has developed a solid reputation across the board, they just appear to be generally ignored by mainstream US gun publications...guess they just don't care to advertise much...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts