Ruger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, just wondering about the posibility of loading some cast bullets in my SR and wanted advice from someone whos tried it. What are you useing; bulet size, powder, bullet type, bhn. And how cast work in SRs in general. Ive never reloaded useing cast so ne tips n tricks would also be great. I hope I didint ask too much, but any info will be put to good use. Thanks

·
Banned
4,564 Posts
I've never had any luck w cast or swaged bullets. I've tried em from time to time and various brands and hardness in a Blackhawk .45lc , P345, Taurus 66 and 1911 over a 30 year period and always had leading. I just gave up and go for plated for my practice rounds.
I understand many love 'em and even cast thier own but i'll leave it to them.jmho

·
Registered
16 Posts
cast bullets

Not a fan of lead bullets. The leading gums up parts. They are cheaper but not worh the headach . Also tried at indoor range they tend to cloud / smoke up the place I will now only reload fmj and hp.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I've cast bullets for 15 years . I use either Lee or Lyman molds, wheel weights, water heat treated, add tin and antony for high vol loads, ( white label Lube) gas checks on some loads. I have small to no leading and very little smoke. I can load 45 ACP for $3.50 a hundred with range brass. The only cost I have are primers. It's a whole hobby in itself.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The leading gums up parts.
Besides leading in the barrel, exactly what parts do lead projectiles "gum up"?

As for the OP, here's my load and bullet I use for my SR40c:
4.6gr HP-38
1.130 COAL
Missouri Bullets IDP #2, 170 Grain SWC, Brinell 18.
I frequent an indoor practice range and get very little smoke from my loads.

I can also honestly say that I've never had a "gummed up" pistol as a result of using lead projectiles. A little leading in the barrel, sure. But that's cleaned easily enough.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I shoot a Lee 175 gr. TC that I size to .401. These drop from my mold (6 cavity) at @183 grs. so you can see they're not "hard", guessing maybe 11 or less BHN hardness. Minimal leading, if any, though but I don't drive them over @875 fps. Strictly plinking/target velocity. Cast boolits are about "fit" to the bore, and IMO the right lube. I must have got lucky, I guess, as I never slugged the bore on my SR40 to find the true bore dia. Doesn't always work that way, however. Also, this boolit feeds flawlessly in my gun.

Most of any "gumming" may come from the boolit lube used, but it matters not to me: I clean after every firing session.

BTW, I use White Label lube: 2500 and BAC. A little smoke, but NO leading.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts