Ruger Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a new rifle for moose and maybe Brown bear. Want something with heavy bullets over 250gr. with not a lot of recoil. Don't need a magnum just want to place a sizeable bullet down range. Most distance will be 150 170 yds.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The .358 Win used to be a favorite of mine for black timber elk hunting. It shines with 200-225 gr bullets but, for what you are discussing, I would go with at least the .35 Whelen in a 35. I could never tell much difference in the recoil of the two. A better choice even, was my favorite .375 H&H Rem 700 Classic. From the bench I could feel it a little more - but when shooting an Elk I never noticed it at all. I've used....
.375 H&H
.338 Win Mag
.35 whelen
.358 Win

on elk.

·
Registered
824 Posts
The .358 is a good cartridge...It's simply a .308 Win. necked up to .35 caliber. The 35 Whelen a 30-06 necked up to 35 caliber, will outperform it with the heavier 250 gr. bullets. Though there isn't much ballistic difference between the two with 200-225 gr. bullets.

Ruge offers, or did offer a 358 Win bolt action Stainless with a composite stock. Pretty nice rifle. If you are wanting to get a 358 Win. It's worth taking a look at the Ruger.

The 358 is a versatile cartridge that really never went anywhere. Ammunition with the 358 head stamp is rather spendy yet if you reload and are willing to form (neck up) .308 brass you can save a few bucks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.