Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Always been a Remington fan, first long gun I shot was a model 10. Went to an Encore several years ago, tried all types of ammo to see what it liked. Got to the deadliest mushroom in the woods and was disappointed in their product. Knurling was inconsistent, several bullets were seated incorrectly, you could see them canted . Fast forward 3 years, I recently bought a 10/22 with a bull barrel. Again looking for what it likes to eat, bought some Golden Bullets from Remington. In the course of shooting a 10 round mag, you could hear 3 distinct levels of pop and flyers doesn't begin to describe the group's. I know I'm not paying match round price, but Federal and Blazer perform much more uniformly. Opinions?

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Remington rimfire is well known for its low quality. I only buy it when there is nothing left on the shelves and you just have to have some ammo that moment. Otherwise I'd rather keep looking for just about any other brand of 22lr.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I would stick with CCI too...if I could find it.
Have shot a couple of bulk boxes of Golden Bullets and haven't had any issues. I did find a few that were misaligned but I noticed them before loading, so I tossed them out.

·
Banned
650 Posts
I get good results with Thunderbolts and Remington PSP 22 mag ammo but by and large Remington ammo sucks. I have never liked Golden bullets. Almost any American manufacturers cheap ammo sux. Winchester used to make good bulk 22lr ammo under the Western line. Now you don't see it anymore.

I like CCI Standard Velocity best. Really Standard Velocity never was "bargain ammo".

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
I have gotten very consistent results with Remington .22 ammo. :eek:
Consistently lousy. :rolleyes:

I have the best results with Winchester Silver box (now that I have run
out of the old yellow box).

I was at the range one day a year or two ago and was shooting my 77/22
(with good scope, from sand bag rest) and getting ten shot groups under
one [email protected] (grid printed on the target). One guy said "HERE TRY MY
REMINGTONS". Looked like a shot gun pattern. Another guy said HERE
TRY MY FEDERALS! They got about one inch group, that was 1-1/2 inch
low, compared to the Winchester.

I went back to my Winchesters with a smile and a thanks to the guys. ;)
YMMV.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
I use ONLY CCI and Federal Auto Match. IMO any Remington rim-fire is crap.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
The new Golden 22 LR has been actually pretty good for us - accurate and reliable and decently priced. MUCH better than the Goldens we bought a couple of years, ago. That ammo was pretty lousy.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
The new Golden 22 LR has been actually pretty good for us - accurate and reliable and decently priced. MUCH better than the Goldens we bought a couple of years, ago. That ammo was pretty lousy.
+1! The Rem. GB worked very consistently for me, more so than my old favorite Federal bulk packs. My most accurate of bulk & my new best cheap 22lr is Blazer 40 grain. It was very accurate for me in my new standard Charger & my old Stevens/Savage rifle.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Got some Remington Golden at a Gander Mountain sale this week.
Today I shot 100 of them through my SR 22 with no problems. So maybe they are doing a better job at the Remington factory.
But I did have one failure to feed with a CCI Mini Mag. So go figure.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I had two boxes of Remington ammo bought in the 1960s and 1970s. Shot the LR box, worked OK. Still have the Short ammo, use it in a Saturday Nite Special bought in Amarillo, TX in 1963.

Found some Remington GB LR about two months ago. Been shooting it in a S&W Model 41. So far, I've run about 200 rounds of it without an issue.

However, it doesn't seem to be any better, or worse, than Armscor 22LR, of which I've shot several thousand rounds this past year.

Both will shoot 1/2 to 3/4" groups at 25 yards with an occasional flyer using a 10-22, the Model 41, a Mark iii Target or a Mark iii Competition Target.

I've had two of the Armscor rounds blow out their primers, but that was due to a headspace issue with the older, stock Ruger bolt in the 10-22.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had two boxes of Remington ammo bought in the 1960s and 1970s. Shot the LR box, worked OK. Still have the Short ammo, use it in a Saturday Nite Special bought in Amarillo, TX in 1963.

Found some Remington GB LR about two months ago. Been shooting it in a S&W Model 41. So far, I've run about 200 rounds of it without an issue.

However, it doesn't seem to be any better, or worse, than Armscor 22LR, of which I've shot several thousand rounds this past year.

Both will shoot 1/2 to 3/4" groups at 25 yards with an occasional flyer using a 10-22, the Model 41, a Mark iii Target or a Mark iii Competition Target.

I've had two of the Armscor rounds blow out their primers, but that was due to a headspace issue with the older, stock Ruger bolt in the 10-22.

Little confused sir, .22 rimfire with primers?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts