Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All, check out this guys website...he may even be a member.

Check out his range report for the SP101 2.25in barrel.

http://brrange2008.blogspot.com/
(Scroll down to the bottom and work your way up.)

I just picked up my SP101 NIB from the dealer over the weekend, haven't shot it yet...now this guys got me worried....i realize its just ONE man, but now i'm curious...i've heard nothing but good about the 101, and i've had the opportunity to try one, never failed on me, and accuracy was acceptable for a SD gun.

Anybody else have thee same issues as the guy in the link above?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Mine digests everything I feed it. Never had a click/no bang with it. It tames hot 125 gr. magnum JHP's better than any other snubby you'll find.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had a similar issue with mine, but only with .357 loads fro some reason. It feels like a hammer or trigger reset problem. Either I failed to let the trigger fully reach reset before pulling the next shot or something slipped and blocked the sear. Haven't been back to the range to test it out a gain.

Refer to "Disappointments" in this post: http://rugerforum.net/showthread.php?t=7677

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,471 Posts
The above blogger should not be allowed to own a gun ... let alone try to be a gun writer. Credibility starts going south when he states his hammer wouldn't return (should be trigger) and the classic "I've heard that a handgun should shoot at least 500 rounds without a malfunction before you can trust your life to it."

I loved this one: "At less than 40 yards I shot 100 rounds at 4 paper plates and the plates were hit 5 times! Many of those shots were taken while seated and braced."

If you read his other blogs, his other guns didn't work either (including a S&W). Where did this guy come from?

GuT_PiLe, Here's some straight & non-partial poop about the Ruger SP-101 (I don't even own one)

1. The SP-101 is probably the absolute best CCW revolver on the market when used for it's intended purpose.
2. The intended purpose of the SP-101 is a concealed carry gun that you can practice with regularly and not worry about wear out. It was NOT designed as a competition gun nor a target gun or even a range gun.
3. The SP-101's fixed sights are perfect for a CCW. You shouldn't be using sights at all for close up practice .... rather point-and-shoot. The max shooting distance was intended to be 15 yards at a body torso sized target (crude sights needed) but common sense with CCWs should tell you 5-7 yards is much more practical.
4. Any gun you buy for CCW needs to be reliable (no matter the brand or model) so the very first thing you do before firing a round is to learn how to field strip the SP-101 and clean it thoroughly. While you have the gun apart, check all the small parts for manufacturing defects such as sharp edges, machine marks, burrs, casting or stamping marks and dehorn them.
5. Installing lighter springs to lessen trigger pull is not recommended on a CCW gun because it could affect reliability. If you insist on a lighter trigger, make sure you go completely through the gun to remove and friction issues in #4. Use the heaviest springs in the kit. They are still lighter than factory springs and will reduce trigger pull by 25% yet allow the gun to function properly.
6. An SP-101 should be capable of firing all rounds you carry without a malfunction. For most people, that's a cylinder full plus two reloads for a total of 15 rounds. If you shoot cheap dirty ammo, don't expect the gun to shoot limitless amounts without locking up.
7. When you practice, there's nothing wrong with shooting lighter loads than the ones you carry, however it's a good idea to shoot a cylinder full of your duty loads every month or so. This will insure "fresh duty ammo" and will keep you proficient with your carry loads.
8. Don't try to make the SP-101 into something it wasn't designed for. A good example is grips. The factory grips may not be perfect but they do work quite well and meet the "concealability" criteria. If you have to put garbonzo oversized grips on the gun, you probably bought the wrong gun.
9. Never judge a gun on a single failure. If you see lots of people complaining about a gun with the same problems then it might have some merit. The SP-101 is NOT a problematic model but like any revolver, it must be maintained properly and fed good ammo.
10. Last is a caution. If the guy is making crazy claims like shooting 500 rounds without a failure or knocking accuracy when shooting a carry gun at targets 40 yards away ... just consider the source.

P.S. If I didn't already own a bunch of nice carry guns, I wouldn't hesitate a second to buy a SP-101 in a 357 Mag. Who knows ... I might just find one I can't live without. When you consider all the factors, I truthfully believe the SP-101 is the best CCW revolver of all the makes and models on the market.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I've been a dedicated semi auto guy for years. Only recently have I begun to appreciate a good revolver. The SP101 was the one that did it to me. I'm wearing one now as a matter of fact.

(But I've got an LCP in my pocket ;))

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.

Yes, i've shot the SP101 and fell in love with it. I love the factory grips, and had no issues as far as functionality goes.

This is my primary CCW, the only reason i purchased this firearm.
I luv the muzzle "heavy" feel, i have disassembled, cleaned and lubricated the firearm already as i wanted to familiarize myself with my carry gun immediately!

I haven't shot MY SP yet, but from the rentals i tried, i don't see why i wont be as impressed with my SP as I was with the rentals.

I am a person that researches every aspect of every model first, then I test if i can, and make a decision on the purchase. Everything pointed to the SP101 as the winner...and I am very happy with my purchase...this gun is definetly a TANK.

The above blog was really the first negative write-up i have seen about this firearm so I brought it here, to ask the RUGER user community to see if anyone had seen these issues. More often than not in regards to accuracy and function of firearms, bows etc....the old adage always applies...."its not the arrow, its the indian"

of course there are exceptions to the rule....aka the Lorcin "gangbanger special"...lolol

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Gut Pile, I have fired in the neighorhood of 8 or 9 hundred rounds through mine. Most are reloads, many were medium to heavy loads worked up for the GP and Security Six revolvers using Unique, 2400 and H110. I will state that a build-up of dirty powder will lock up the cylinder and if you rapid fire without letting the trigger reset, you will also have a temporary lock up. These are shooter faults, and not the gun. A quick clean and she is back to work, More practice and better trigger control cures the other reset problem. My SP has a fairly tight B/C clearance, and a trigger assembly clean up per Iwoegan's instruction. It is a great shooter and I trust it as my CCW.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Never had any problems with mine. It's my primary ccw and is the second to last gun I would part with. First to last is my S&W K22. Last is my 4" security six.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I love my SP101, and it is my main carry gun. I have FNH, CZ, Kimber, and several single action Rugers, and my SP101 is the one I take with me daily. The others are fine, but my SP101 fits my waist and needs the best. Never a problem. Always ready.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
My SP101 has taken over the primary carry duties from my P345. So much so that I've honestly considered selling one of my P345's recently. Still havent decided, but now that I have the SP101 it's hard to justify the second P345 (the other is a railed model that I keep a Streamlight on for bedside duty).

·
Code Slinger
2,203 Posts
My SP101 is trying to do the same thing... I originally bought the SP101 for keeping in the bedroom, and its something the wife could use if needed (point 'n pull). For some reason, it keeps finding it way into my pocket... Last gun show, I bought a holster for it too (Don Hume J.I.T.). Works well, and I highly recommend it for your sp101. http://www.donhume.com/Products/ProductsPage.cfm?ProductID=53

·
Registered
589 Posts
I had the same problem Keith so I bought a second one. Then my wife found a S&W 642 with the crimson trace laser grips.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Sp101

I've only shot about 230 rounds out of my "new" SP over the past 2 months. I've shot lead bullet .38 Specials, .38+P's, and a variety of full power .357 SD loads. Have never had a malfunction. Accuracy is just fine for a belly gun and I trust it explicitly. Here's some range results with Speer Gold Dots & Cor Bon's JHP's (both 125 grn. JHP bullets):

Now this shooting at only 7 yards (my normal practice range), 2-handed standing position. See anything wrong with accuracy? I don't. My range results are duplicated time & time again. (Did I say that I love this revolver?) I'll tell you something else...anyone that shoots over 50 rounds of .357 PD cartridges at a time, has a few screws loose upstairs! Heavy as she is, this baby let's you know - very quickly - that you're playing with a heavy hitter.

·
Registered
404 Posts
...anyone that shoots over 50 rounds of .357 PD cartridges at a time, has a few screws loose upstairs! Heavy as she is, this baby let's you know - very quickly - that you're playing with a heavy hitter.
LOL

On my first outing with mine I was so excited. I loaded up 150 rounds of 158gr semi-wadcutters over a load of Lil'gun that was just a few tenths of grain from max. These were some REAL magnum loads. I ran 100 of them through and then had to call it a day. My hand didn't really hurt at all and I was impressed with the gun. I went right back to the range the next morning to run the other 50 through. I fire one and my hand just SCREAMED and throbbed from having overdone it without noticing the day before. I figure it must have just gone numb after a while :). I unloaded the other 4 from the cylinder and switched to the .22. Since then I've set 50 magnum rounds as my max for one day in the SP101. 38 specials are another story. I could shoot those all day every day.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Mine is my primary carry gun, it gets good work outs at the range. I have never had any problems with it and would gladly buy (and likely will buy) another.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Wuchak - WOW! I absolutely KNOW I'd be crippled after shooting that many! You are "THE man!" Isn't it a great little revolver though? I just love shooting this thing. In about a month or so, I'll be reloading. Can't wait. Then I'll shoot even more often! :D

gunlover24 - You just keep your pants on...it'll be there before you know it. One of the best investments you could have made. And I've made more than a few bad ones in my day - guaranteed! :eek: I just can't believe the afore mentioned blog :confused:. My SP performed even better than I had heard. Everyone has an opinion I recon.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts