Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone own or use a P89 race gun or have used one in competition? Just curious as to the kinds of mods that may be done to it. Thanks in advance. peace.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
While definitely not a race gun, I did help my P89DC a lot by fileing any sharp edges on the trigger system parts & polishing anything that touches or rubs against anything else.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kansas45,

I really am curious about the polishing, what tools and/or materials ie; sandpaper, buffer, chemicals, etc., did you use?
Also what steps did you take in the process. I don't doubt that a little additional finishing on these or any gun would be a plus.
Thanks in advance for any additional info, peace.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
In a world of hares, consider a Ruger out of the box a tortoise...it is a natural winner 'cause it just keeps doin' what it was made to do...the race is not to the swift, as it has been said!!!! My most important upgrades have been to the trigger squeezer...but having said that-RNettles shore has made some pretty changes to his P95!!!

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
quote:Originally posted by sheepdog

In a world of hares, consider a Ruger out of the box a tortoise...it is a natural winner 'cause it just keeps doin' what it was made to do...the race is not to the swift, as it has been said!!!! My most important upgrades have been to the trigger squeezer...but having said that-RNettles shore has made some pretty changes to his P95!!!
Well put sheepdog, HUA!!!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I'll try to find time this weekend to take the P89 apart. I need to sanitize it anway. I'll post some pictures.

Peace, peace!:D

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Hey, Kansas45...get those boys out of the kitchen yet? Come have coffee and update us...

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We'll be lookin' forward to the pics Kansas45, and thanking ya' kindly for the splainin' of the inner sanctums of the P89!
peace out!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I haven't forgot. Seems that one of the ports that I plug my camera cord into has broken off in the plug on my cord. :( I'll get it fixed ASAP !

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Well, I didn't take any pictures of the inside of the P89. I don't think it will show much anyway. Just smooth up all of the parts of the trigger system & polish them to a nice shine. That will allow for smooth operation of your trigger. Don't change the angle, or remove any metal from the sear & diconnect. Just make sure there aren't any rough edges to catch anything. They work just fine with the polish job. I sanded & polished the trigger & hammer & drilled some holes in the trigger, just to change the looks of things. The Laser Sight is attatched to the trigger guard & is easily removed. I bought it from fellow RUGERFORUM member Ron Honner. I take this pistol to the farm & it go's fishing with me & stay's by to protect me while I sleep. The P89 is not a "Race Gun", but it is a very good all around pistol. I just can't get the speed I need out of it to be able to use it for a competition gun.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Went out back early this morning & sighted in the laser sight. Works pretty good. Thanks Ron!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Not quite a race gun...just a little worked over. Mine's got an EFK Fire Dragon extended ported barrel, Springco guide rod with extra power spring, adjustable tritium target sights...and I'm sure a few more things I've forgotten. The trigger pull is a smooth 4 lbs S/A and around 11 lbs D/A with no work. The S/A has a lot of take-up but very little over travel so I never messed with it. Stock accuracy was good but the barrel made it even better. Controllability is great; it just gently rolls in the hand and can be fired pretty quickly. It was put together for fun and informal target shooting. I usually take it afield with 20 round mags along with my high capacity rifles. The wife has claimed it from me, which is ok 'cause I replaced with somethin' in a bit more serious of a caliber.

·
jlweems
278 Posts
The hallmark of Ruger is reliability. While I don't have a lot of trigger time on the P89, I have run my P95 quite a bit, and I have fired several P series pistols. Typically, I can't run them as fast as an S&W or a Glock. The S/A trigger seems to have a lot of take-up in it even when using the reset method, and this causes me to slow down somewhat to shoot a P series as accurately as some of the other brands.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts