Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last spring I took a camping trip with my brother and a couple of his old Army buddies. One of them introduced me to the art of pipe smoking while we sat around the campfire. As a parting gift, he gave a a Hardcastle's pipe which I've smoked on occasion ever since. It's a toasty 40 degrees out today (toasty compared to the below-zero temperatures we've been experiencing), so I decided to sit out on the deck, watch the snow melt, and enjoy a pipe. Just wondering how many of you smoke pipe tobacco. It's one of my favorite ways to take some time to relax now.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
My grandpa used to smoke a pipe, but I don't. I do enjoy the occasional stogie though.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I no longer smoke my pipes (I'm a welder by trade) but I still have a decent collection of various pipes from several different manufacturers around the world. One of my favorites was an Italian Radice brand pipe, hand carved from pearwood. I can still smell that Borkum Riff burning in my imagination. Unlike cigarettes or cigars, pipe smoke actually smells good and usually won't offend the non-smoker. If I were to do as you did, it would revive my "habit" which my wife wouldn't be too happy about! The temptation will always be there though! I'm glad to hear that you can enjoy a pipe once in awhile, without the tobacco addiction taking control. The younger folks enjoy pipes of a different variety that usually includes illegal substances, they have no appreciation for the fine art of tobacco pipe smoking, which I believe sadly, may be going the way of the dinosaur.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Inhave a few pipes and greatly enjoy it. I don't do it a ton, just because pipe tobacco doesn't keep for very long very easily. I definitely enjoy it though.

About a month ago I bought a pipe carving kit. Its basically a block of wood with the bowl drilled and a hole for the stem. I am working on it slowly but surely.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
I used to smoke a pipe when I was smoking.
I still have my pipes today.

·
Registered
9,168 Posts
I used to smoke a pipe when I was smoking as well. I might even be convinced to smoke a pipe again around the campfire when camping out, because I really enjoyed my pipes. I would never be able to inhale now without gagging, but would enjoy the aroma of a good aromatic tobacco.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I am a young person that does enjoy a good pipe tobacco, and I can say there are many of us at my college that also smoke a pipe.
It is hard these days to find a good tobacco, but it makes it all worth it. I am a big believer in the fact that before anybody gets mad, they should sit down, pack, light, tamp, relight and smoke their pipe before they decide to really be mad! Just the whole process is very calming.

Reactions: alayonruger

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
This was my blend.....

·
Registered
118 Posts
My dad will go through a pipe smoking phase every few years. Not a smoker myself but do enjoy the aroma of pipe tabacco. Certainly seems to be something that is fading away.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
My grandpa passed away 15 years ago and my grandma just passed away this past December. My aunt inherited all of her stuff and was asking if there was anything we wanted of theirs and I said Yes! I wanted my grandpas pipes and his pipe rack, so when she is able to go through her stuff, I will get his old pipes. That's one thing I think of when I think of him. :) I'm ready to see them again. It's been a long time.....

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I have a Peterson pipe I was given when my older brother passed away, it feels like I connect with him every time I load it up with a special Egg Nog blend. I enjoy lighting up after a busy day at the office, it makes the 20 minute drive home a very relaxing commute. :)

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
On occasion when my brother visits me we'll smoke a pipe after a meal...he's a virtual non-smoker but feels the need to light up with his older bro when here. I, of course, smoke all tobacco in all of it's various forms as well as chew...I'm a tobacco-head; just hoping it doesn't bite me in the ass down the road.

·
Skeptical of Everything
3,655 Posts
I still smoke my pipes now and then. Nothing in the world better than sitting out on the back patio with a book, a pipe and a bowl of this:

Notice the warning for residents of California. Apparently it is totally safe elsewhere. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
i've ceased any and all smoking, but i do miss the pipe. i was only ever an occasional smoker of cigarettes, pipes, or cigars, but i by far preferred my pipes, and when i lived in PA, had an excellent tobacco store to get supplied at. these days i've stopped entirely-- still love the aroma, but can't take the after taste anymore. my taste buds seem to have changed or gotten more sensitive in my 40s.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
I enjoy a pipe several times daily...I find it totally relaxing. I have enjoyed my pipe for about 10 years now, plus it makes me dashing and sophisticated! :D

Reactions: ole man

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm only 25, but I've gone through my fair share of tobacco products. The pipe, once you learn the proper way of smoking it, is by far my favorite. I can hardly stand the smell or taste of cigarettes, I'll enjoy a cigar every now and then, but I really love pipe tobacco. It's a shame to know that the appreciation for it seems to be dwindling. We used to have some nice tobacco stores around, but they also grow harder and harder to find.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I used to smoke pipes and cigars until the tobacco shop I frequent closed. They had some great hand blended tobacco. I've recently found my pipes, tamps, and butane lighters and want to use them again. I'm pretty much resorted to getting quality tobacco via mail order. What tobacco do you use, and where do you buy?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts