Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
I used to smoke pipe tobacco occasionally, but stopped when I started fly fishing (Middleton's pipe tobacco cigars were much more convenient when standing in a river). I still enjoy it, but haven't smoked much in the last 5 years. Now it is more likely to be 2 or 3 cigars a year.

I never had a good carved wooden pipe. I always used one of the white clay colonial style pipes (small bowl and a long stem). Used to buy them at SCA re-enactment events.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I used to smoke pipes and cigars until the tobacco shop I frequent closed. They had some great hand blended tobacco. I've recently found my pipes, tamps, and butane lighters and want to use them again. I'm pretty much resorted to getting quality tobacco via mail order. What tobacco do you use, and where do you buy?
The pipe tobacco from PipesandCigarsdotcom is really high quality. I always order the bulk category that way it's mixed in house and arrives very fresh.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Time to revive this thread! I was introduced to pipe smoking by one of the guys in my ice fishing group in college. Keep in mind, the closest guy to my age at the time was 57. I was 19. Dabbled with it for a while but got back into it last year. I still favor the English blends, Maltese Falcon being one of them. Trout Stream from Pipes and Cigars is a top notch aromatic though.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I bought my first pipe when I was in my early 20s in the Navy and collected pipes from all the areas I visited: southern Europe and England, Morocco, etc. My favorites are a few with carved meerschaum bowls and I have one kit that's a rough block with stem ready for carving.

I smoked a pipe for decades as a substitute for cigarettes but the pipe (or cigars) never satisfied the nicotine craving.

My favorite tobacco was always Captain Black; easy to find and not boutique expensive. Almost everyone liked the smell and many said it reminded them of a cake baking in the oven.

I finally quit smoking three years ago and love how clear my lungs are now. But this thread makes me want to buy some pipe tobacco.

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,757 Posts
I decided to give up smoking my pipes until age 80. I have a collection of really nice pipes and enjoyed really rare tobaccos, such as Tobacciana Esoterica’s blends.

Enjoy your new hobby. It brings me great joy to see someone continuing the tradition of pipe smoking.

·
Exalted One
1,691 Posts
Smoked a pipe for a bit, still have my "tactical" pipe...Haven't smoked it for decades.

It was/is a "Washington, MO" (corncob pipe capital of the world) one. My room-mate was from Washington ("Warshington") MO, so there wasn't really a choice...

Probably ought to switch from cigarettes...Always loved the smell of a fine pipe tobacco.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I’ve been on hiatus from my pipes for a couple of years because of sinus issues.

Got some baccy in canning jars that still looks good, pipes are cleaned and patiently waiting in cabinet.

Sometimes I wakeup in the middle of the night and swear my Dunhill is quietly calling to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Ruger Aficionado
1,101 Posts
I have a few in a coffee can around some where. I haven't touched them in years.

I thoroughly enjoyed those first few puffs. It was a great stress reliever. The aroma of a good choice in tobacco takes you to a more pleasant place.

I always felt I was missing something in the art. Always packing, tamping, and picking, throw a biscuit in the bag to improve moisture, etc. with little change in the result. I'm lucky to get through half a bowl before it would turn hot and bitter. But that first half was worth the trouble.

I wonder if some codger has a you tube...

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have enjoyed smoking a pipe and did for years. Found it to be relaxing. But after being a recipient of a heart stint a few years back, I thought it would be best to make some lifestyle changes. I do miss it, though.

·
Registered
119 Posts
When I was managing a service shop,we had an old guy who always stopped by and would chat with me in my office. I didn't smoke but didn't mind his pipe.
Anyway one day he was sitting and relighting his pipe with a Zippo lighter,he stopped and looked up at me and said " I would quit smoking but I am addicted to lighter fluid ". I thought I would die laughing !
Thanks for reminding me of a great old guy from years gone by .

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'll dig up this thread again..
I have a few pipes. A lot of vintage estate pipes that I've restored, Custom-Bilt's are my fav. New Savinelli's, Peterson's, cobs that are smokers.

pictured are some but not all:

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I used to smoke a pipe years ago. (About 50 now). Miss it sometimes. I still remember a quote from a book I read long ago... “ The pipe draws wisdom from the lips of a philosopher, and closes the mouth of a fool.”

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have been smoking a pipe since 2003 this time. When I was in my 20s (long time ago) I would smoke one for a couple of months, then quick and then start up later. In 2003 I started with one pipe and now have about 30 or so . I really like Peterson pipes which to me smoke the mildest. I mostly smoke English Blends.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm going to make sure this thread gets back to the top, because now you guys have me checking out pipes and cigars. I'm going to go pull the Dr. Grabows out of the old cigar boxes I have them in.

·
Registered
324 Posts
If you like aromatics, a blend called trout stream is very nice.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I have my great-great-great-grandpas pipes. Possibly another 2 generations beyond that.
I haven't used them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Haven't for a few years, but I plan on taking it up again at some point.

This was my fav
If you enjoy fantastic workmanship in pipes...then you might enjoy seeing this fellow's current works of art on IG: alexander.pipes is his account name. I met him at a friends wedding, and he has taken the art to a fascinating high... beautiful, hand made, and very interesting finishes as well. Regards, Ron

21 - 40 of 40 Posts