Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a SBH 44 mag in bisley frame with 7.5in barrel. I'm new to reloading but have access to a friend's setup for casting and reloading. I've been casting with wheel wts using rcbs 250 gr swc keith. The powders I have include unique and 2400. Any suggestions on 3 loads,,, lite, medium, and hot???

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Any reloading manual will give you what you want. lite load would be the starting load meduinm load would be 1/2 of the load listed and the hot would be the max load listed in your book. Make sure you read the basic steps of reloading system so you understand reloading in its self. Too many times folks want to jump right in and have problems.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Definately use a manual, there are plenty of loads listed for the 44mag. And never blindly trust someone's recommendation for a loading without double checking. Too many times a slip of the finger on the keyboard is made and no proofreading done. That said, 18gr of 2400 behind a hard cast 250 LSWC works for me.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
This is my out take on powders in general, while there are many great companies out there that offer many different types of powders. And of course they all think theirs is the best, that being said I like to find one powder that will load several different cailbers. That way I don't have a bushel basket full of part of a pound of powders all over the place. I know one powder will not do it all, but I don't want 15 different powders either. This is just my out take on powders.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
ALSO - Alliant has an excellent website that gives some very good info on reloading and their powders. Go here for the 2400 info:

www.alliantpowder.com/products/2400.htm

And navigate around for the reloading tips.There are several on-line reloading websites, handloads.com is one, but nothing beats a manual for double checking.
I suggest buying one from the commercial bullet manufacturer you use most, if possible. Nosler, Speer, etc, or if using mostly cast, the Lyman book is an excellent reference. Good luck and let us know how it's going -

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.