Ruger Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I introduced my wife and youngest daughter to shooting with this reduced load. It works as advertised: 75% more quiet-------next to NO recoil. It worked great in my S&W revolver, and in the 10/22TD it fired great-just have to manually cycle the action.....I am sure it won't be a "Zombie" stopper, but that's what the Stingers and Velocitors are for!

·
Registered
12,850 Posts
I'm curious what's the purpose of rounds like this? Would a shooter completely skip using hearing protection? At a range that wouldn't apply since you're also dealing with other shooters noise.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I think the main purpose of the load was to be quieter than 22 subsonic loads but still deliver some punch for pest control in urban areas or those where urban sprawl is starting to get out of hand. It shoots a 40 grain lead bullet at 710 fps and as far as noise its right down there with CB Caps using 29 grain bullets. Its just a tad bit louder than 22 CB Caps but dramatically quieter than standard 22 Long Rifle ammo by a long shot!

I tried a box of it recently and I like it a lot better than comparable loads and it was also cheaper than a lot of other offerings as well. I suspect that I will be stocking a lot more of this ammo in the near future. It ran me about 5 1/2 cents a shot.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
I've tried the CCI Quiet 22s. Can't get them to cycle in any of my autoloaders, but I never really expected then, too, anyway. As already mentioned, they are just a bit louder than the 22 Shorts/CBs I use at times. I like them out of my revolvers and single shots because the 40 grain bullets print closer to Standard velocity LRs than the Shorts on targets.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm curious what's the purpose of rounds like this?
I've not shot the CCI stuff, but I've been going through lots of Aquila Colibri (which is even quieter.) Out of a 4" revolver, it is no louder than a pellet gun. As such, I can shoot it in my backyard any time I want—which is a lot. It makes practice easy and convenient. While it's a little more expensive than bulk ammo, there are no range fees in my back yard.

It will shoot through one side of a paint can, so I suppose it would also be good for small pest removal (although it's not accurate at any distance at all.)

(This isn't me in the vid.): CCI Quiet-22 vs Aguila Colibri - YouTube

·
Registered
828 Posts
I'll look at these for back yard shooting. I use some of the Remington subsonic which are really quiet in my rifle, but I don't notice much difference in my MKIII over regular 22s.

If I find a pack of these, I'll give them a try.

·
Registered
12,850 Posts
Unfortunately shooting in my yard could result in arrest here so I'll pass on that application even if quieter. I'm glad for you folks who don't have my restrictions to deal with.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I have tried the "Quiet" here. Not much quieter in a short barrel pistol. I tried it in my SR22 and I had to manually rack the slide after each shot, but it worked and was just a tad quieter. I may give it a try in my Hunter MKIII on Div #1 when I get out.

I usually shoot CCI sub-sonic or Wolf MT in my rifles and they are very quiet - almost like a pellet gun - almost! I haven't tied the Quiet in a rifle yet, but will this week when out shooting Div #3 in the "Fall Contest"

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am looking into getting some cci 22 quiet and some Aguila Colibri for my son for christmas, he is getting a cricket and I think these would be great rounds to start him out with especially since he is only 5.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I use them for squirrel hunting with my Ruger 77/22. Groups well and does not make loud noise that scare off the squirrels for 15 minutes after shooting one. Once I was able to take two off the same limb. I don't think the second one knew I shot the other one.

All my shots are 50 yards or less.

I can't tell that much difference in noise level when shot from SR22 however.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've not shot the CCI stuff, but I've been going through lots of Aquila Colibri (which is even quieter.) Out of a 4" revolver, it is no louder than a pellet gun. As such, I can shoot it in my backyard any time I want—which is a lot. It makes practice easy and convenient. While it's a little more expensive than bulk ammo, there are no range fees in my back yard.

It will shoot through one side of a paint can, so I suppose it would also be good for small pest removal (although it's not accurate at any distance at all.)

(This isn't me in the vid.): CCI Quiet-22 vs Aguila Colibri - YouTube
i use cci quiet for plinking with a moderator and my air rifle is louder..these are super quiet with my bolt actions..also the eley subsonic hollow extra are super quiet too..another nice quiet one is rws target rifle..rws and eley are 95ft lb and the cci quiet are 45 ft lb..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.