Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A short while back another member asked a similar question pertaining to everyones favorite War Movies. This question is about a genre near extinction, Westerns. Only rarely does a western movie ride out of Hollywood onto the big screen and much rarer than that onto the small screens in our homes.

I've been a western fan since I can remember. From the great cinematic westerns of the 40's & 50's all the way to the last recent western movie Hollywood did release, which might of been the "True Grit" remake. Let's not forget those weekly prime time TV westerns of the 60's & 70's.

Do you have any favorite Movie and / or TV westerns? Here's a few of mine...

Movie
1) All three of Clint Eastwood's Spaghetti Westerns, "A Fistfull of Dollars" / "For A few Dollars More" / "The Good, Bad & the Ugly"
2) "Wyatt Earp" (with Kevin Costner)
3) "Rio Bravo"
4) "The Shootists"
5) "Unforgiven"

TV
1) "Rawhide"
2) "Bonanza"
3) "Gunsmoke"
4) "The Rifleman"
5) "Maverick"

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
I love westerns. They are a close second to my favorites -war movies. If the westerns got Eastwood in it then its top on my list.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Movies,
1. Tombstone
2. Open Range
3. True Grit (Remake)

TV,
1. Gunsmoke (Gotta love Festus!)
2. The Rifleman
3. Branded

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Movies,
1. Tombstone
2. Open Range
3. True Grit (Remake)

TV,
1. Gunsmoke (Gotta love Festus!)
2. The Rifleman
3. Branded
I thought the older Gunsmoke with Chester was better. The Rifleman is one of my favorites but I've seen all the reruns a million times. I also like Wanted: Dead or Alive with Steve McQueen.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I thought the older Gunsmoke with Chester was better. The Rifleman is one of my favorites but I've seen all the reruns a million times. I also like Wanted: Dead or Alive with Steve McQueen.
I'll have to look at Wanted: Dead or Alive. Sad to admit, I've never seen it!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Movies:
1. Tombstone
2. Outlaw Josey Wales
3. Jeremiah Johnson
4. 3:10 to Yuma
5. Monte Walsh

TV:
1. The Virginian
2. Gunsmoke
3. Big Valley
4. Bonanza
5. Rawhide

·
Registered
873 Posts
Movies:
1. Tombstone
2. Outlaw Josey Wales
3. Jeremiah Johnson
4. 3:10 to Yuma
5. Monte Walsh

TV:
1. The Virginian
2. Gunsmoke
3. Big Valley
4. Bonanza
5. Rawhide
How could I have forgotten Outlaw Josey Wales?!?! :eek:
That's definitely in my top 3.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Also
Movies: Shane, Waterhole #3, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Hondo, Blazing Saddles (Really corny)
TV: Maverick, Wagon Train, Death Valley, F Troop (it's so stupid I think I lose IQ points when watching it)

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also
Movies: Shane, Waterhole #3, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Hondo, Blazing Saddles (Really corny)
TV: Maverick, Wagon Train, Death Valley, F Troop (it's so stupid I think I lose IQ points when watching it)
Waterhole #3 is a great western satire with James Coburn and Carroll O'Conner :D

Got it on DVD

·
Registered
61 Posts
Movies:
The Searchers
Unforgiven
The Shootist
True Grit (both of them)
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

TV:
Have Gun - Will Travel
The Rifleman
Gunsmoke
Wagontrain
Lawman

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Josh Randell carrys a Mare's Leg. I bought this Henry because of the tv show.
That's a good pix of ya 303, nice lookin' M'sL too. :cool:

Some more movies to add...
The Culpepper Cattle Co.
High Plains Drifter
Winchester '73
The Cheyene Social Club

Some more TV shows to add...
Alias Smith and Jones
Lawman
Johny Yuma
Wild, Wild West

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
That's a good pix of ya 303, nice lookin' M'sL too. :cool:

Some more movies to add...
The Culpepper Cattle Co.
High Plains Drifter
Winchester '73
The Cheyene Social Club

Some more TV shows to add...
Alias Smith and Jones
Lawman
Johny Yuma
Wild, Wild West
Thanks, I put the rear Williams peep on it. The standard barrel sight had such a short sight distance it wasn't very accurate. The big problem with the new sight is that it sits too high and at the lowest setting shoots dead center at 100+ yards.

·
Skeptical of Everything
3,655 Posts
I love Westerns almost as much as Mob Movies.

Can't believe no one hasn't mentioned High Noon with Gary Cooper and Grace Kelly.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
My absolute favorite movie genre. I collect Westerns and never tire of watching them, everything from the old black and whites to the latest Western at the box office. Have all the westerns mentioned, so far, but let's not forget Dances with Wolves or A Man Called Horse or Once Upon a Time in the West, all of the Duke's movies and so, so many more.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
westerns as a genre are not highest on my list-- not as high as war movies, etc., but there are some western movies and tv shows that i definitely like a lot.

movies: butch cassidy and the sundance kid, hud, a man called horse, the unforgiven, city slickers :) and i'm going to include "the man from snowy river". not a western in the classic american sense of gun-slinging, but it has that great epic feel. i just saw it for the first time since childhood a few weeks ago, and that riding scene at the end still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

tv: bonanza, gunsmoke (sort of), have gun will travel, hopalong cassidy. still watch bonanza probably at least once a week.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts