Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what experiences and or thoughts you guys have on this gun. I have an SRH in .44 Magnum and .454 Casull. So naturally, I was curious as to what you guys think of the .480 version.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I love mine, won't be selling it. I'm gonna get me one of those new 480 Blackhawks as well. Great cartridge, especially if your a handloader. Lots and lots of power for anything I'll ever hunt. BTW, WELCOME TO THE BEST FORUM ON THE NET!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks! The Blackhawks are EXACTLY why I was curious about the cartridge. I called my local dealer lately who put me on the list :cool:

I have most experience with big-bores due to my two SRHs and figured the .480 might make a fine SRH Triad if you know what I mean! How does the .480 compare, recoil-wise, to the .454? I hear it's more push but less nasty snap.

·
Registered
517 Posts
It's definitely a heavy push but very manageable. My daughter(5'6" and 135lbs.) shoots it, but only the 325gr. Hornady load. She doesn't care for the recoil some of my handloads dish out.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's definitely a heavy push but very manageable. My daughter(5'6" and 135lbs.) shoots it, but only the 325gr. Hornady load. She doesn't care for the recoil some of my handloads dish out.
Good for her! My wife's the same size and she doesn't even like shooting my .44 Mag SRH. Too bad too, she shot very well for having never shot a .44 before that day!

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
How does the .480 compare, recoil-wise, to the .454? I hear it's more push but less nasty snap.
Saying that the .480Ruger is "nicer to shoot than the .454Casull" really isn't saying much.

The 44mag is generally considered to be the hardest recoiling cartridge that the average shooter is capable of mastering - and my own experience as a handgun instructor and competitor has been consistent with that sentiment.

The 454C, in general, has around 10-15% more muzzle energy and around 15-20% more recoil energy than the 480R. Which seems great, until you remember that the .480 Ruger has over 50% more muzzle energy and over 70% more recoil energy in the same Super Redhawk platform than the 44mag.

If you can master one, you can master the other - but odds are, without significant practice and training, plus a stroke of good fortune in your genetics, most folks can't master either of these.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Well I have a little 454 Alaskan. I've only shot a couple hundred rounds through it. I don't know that I will ever "master" it but I love shooting it. Part of the excitement of owning is that I may never completely master it. I certainly will enjoy it though and reloading options are nearly endless.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Well I have a little 454 Alaskan. I've only shot a couple hundred rounds through it. I don't know that I will ever "master" it but I love shooting it. Part of the excitement of owning is that I may never completely master it. I certainly will enjoy it though and reloading options are nearly endless.
That's a good point - I have a policy about women, horses, and firearms:

If I knew I could ever master it, I wouldn't want it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My 480R is the 9-1/2" variety. It is big and heavy sporting a 3MOA Red Dot scope. I'm loading Penn Bullet 420gr Thunderhead lead slug over H110 powder. Chrono'd these loads at ~ 1100fps. From a supported position, I've placed three cylinders (24 shots) of lead into a football size group at 100yds. Not bad considering the red dot covers the target at that range. Recoil is a hard push but less brutal than my buddy's 454 Raging Bull. Shooting one-handed is possible.

·
Registered
517 Posts
;)
My 480R is the 9-1/2" variety. It is big and heavy sporting a 3MOA Red Dot scope. I'm loading Penn Bullet 420gr Thunderhead lead slug over H110 powder. Chrono'd these loads at ~ 1100fps. From a supported position, I've placed three cylinders (24 shots) of lead into a football size group at 100yds. Not bad considering the red dot covers the target at that range. Recoil is a hard push but less brutal than my buddy's 454 Raging Bull. Shooting one-handed is possible.
You must have the mythical 8 shot version.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts