Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We have had CCW in Ohio for 11 years now, and I have had my CCW all 11 years. Unfortunately for me, I work in great big CPZ (Criminal Protection Zone; PC term:Gun Free Zone). Something happened recently and I've never missed my sidearm like I did at that time. It totally sucked that I was unarmed. You will see in my profile if you look that I am a Security Officer. But, guess what? Again unarmed. Anyone else have any stories from working in a CPZ?

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
I work at a VA Hospital, so yeah, I know you feel. Thankfully, there are two Police officers on duty to protect us.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
I work for an educational institution. They even have an exemption from the state law that allows firearms in your vehicle if they are locked up and out of sight.

So I am not supposed to have a firearm in my truck when I live 10 miles from here and the gun club I belong to is a mile from here on my way home. But if I want to stop and shoot after work, I am supposed to make a 19 mile round trip to go home, get a gun, and come back to the range. Or, if I need to go somewhere else after work, I am supposed to drive home, get my carry gun and then go on to my destination.

Gun free zone is another phrase for, "Come shoot me, I'm stupid!"

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Yeah. I went from working at a shooting range where I was armed everyday for 7 years to the school system. I feel nude at work now!

·
Registered
6,243 Posts
A few of the places where I work have the "we protect criminals" sticker on the doors. I won't say that I ignore them, but I find that my vision is often a bit blurry when I get to the door.

I keep my pistol in my briefcase, which is secured in my office when it's not at my side. It's not the ideal situation, but it's a fair compromise, for me.

I figure that in the event I need the gun, I can get to it pretty quickly and, if I have to bring it out in the open, I can deal with any repercussions later, assuming I survive.

Jim

·
Registered
392 Posts
Amegatek ,
now why would a gun free zone need a security officer, help the elderly with directions?
when you went thru unarmed security officer training, what did they say your supposed to do about active shooters?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Amegatek ,
now why would a gun free zone need a security officer, help the elderly with directions?
when you went thru unarmed security officer training, what did they say your supposed to do about active shooters?

First rule: run like hell, 2nd rule: hide in a secure place, 3rd rule (last resort): fight back. The incident was a shooter. I was able to option 1 when able and assist others to safety as well. Like I said the whole situation sucked

·
Registered
704 Posts
I also work in a largeish healthcare setting. I feel your pain!

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'm totally anonomoose here? nobody could figure out who I am and come and get me?
I have a confession- I went to the doc office for my annual check up last Wed. the office is on a no tobacco, no gun campus of a hospital. I finished my cig while walking across the parking lot and yes, I had my P-32 in my pocket.
(is there any evidence that killers target gun free zones? are you more safe, less safe, or gun free zones is just politically correct bs?)

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
If you don't like working where your employer or the laws in your jurisdiction don't allow guns, you can always quit. If you choose to disarm for your work, that's a choice, not a requirement.

Jeff

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
There are only 2000 legal ccw permits in New Jersey and this includes retired police so th whole state is basically a non carry area.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I'm totally anonomoose here? nobody could figure out who I am and come and get me?
I have a confession- I went to the doc office for my annual check up last Wed. the office is on a no tobacco, no gun campus of a hospital. I finished my cig while walking across the parking lot and yes, I had my P-32 in my pocket.
(is there any evidence that killers target gun free zones? are you more safe, less safe, or gun free zones is just politically correct bs?)
Good for you! Happy to know I'm not the only one doing those things. LOL. :eek:

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
I live in Kalifornia. Does that count?

·
Registered
392 Posts
ok, here's confession part 2--
I got out of the army in Dec. '67, went on to work as a locomotive and then equipment mechanic, often worked out of a service truck at questionable locations. long story short, I always had a gun close by. truck gun, toolbox gun, "mexican carry" gun, some kind of gun within reach. when I retired and got back into shooting at a range, I got my CCW permit and now I'm legal (and generally own and shoot a better grade of gun).
from what I can remember from the 70's and 80's, there might have been a few "self defense" stories that made the news (business owner vs robber, etc.) seems like only the bad guys got gun charges. business owner taking a bag of money to the bank could have a pistol(cops would think he was stupid for not having a gun). ah, the good old days.
I'm legal now and life is good.
(if you live in a small town or suburb with it's own PD, make it a point to know them, give them a wave, if they're getting coffee at the gas station, say, Hi, ask them how it's going. if you ever need a report written, have it written by your friends.)

·
Registered
12 Posts
"(if you live in a small town or suburb with it's own PD, make it a point to know them, give them a wave, if they're getting coffee at the gas station, say, Hi, ask them how it's going. if you ever need a report written, have it written by your friends.)"

Talk to 'em - ask 'em what THEY carry... show them (CAREFULLY!) yours! They aren't all a$$holes, after all.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,337 Posts
"(if you live in a small town or suburb with it's own PD, make it a point to know them, give them a wave, if they're getting coffee at the gas station, say, Hi, ask them how it's going. if you ever need a report written, have it written by your friends.)"

Talk to 'em - ask 'em what THEY carry... show them (CAREFULLY!) yours! They aren't all a$$holes, after all.
This^^

·
Registered
392 Posts
"Talk to 'em - ask 'em what THEY carry... show them (CAREFULLY!) yours! They aren't all a$$holes, after all. "

no, no, don't ever do "show and tell" with anybody. your permit lets you carry concealed, keep it that way. if your talking to some cops, you can ask them about their guns and gear, that's a conversation. afterwards, when your walking away, if they didn't ask what your carrying, your a successful concealed carrier. you passed the cop test.
carrying a gun with a permit, doesn't make you a deputy or a friend of LE, your just an armed civilian and much of LE has mixed emotions about that. be safe.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.