Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has swapped a Wolff spring out and what poundage you used for the hammer spring? I know the 10 lb. is reliable in my .357 SP101, but have not tried it in the new .22.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I managed to use a 12# on my SP 22LR when I had it. Did reduce the depth of the strike on the brass, but no misfires. However, what you can get away with from one SP 22LR to the next will vary. Have heard of some folks being able to use a 10# and others not being able to use 12# without getting failure to ignite. You'll have to just ry it and see. The good news is that it's a breeze to replace the hammer spring.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
As far as I know, yes. It's just that you can't get away with using the lighter springs as easily with the 22LR as the centerfire versions of the SP. Rimfires take more of an impact to ignite, reliably. Like I said, I was able to use the 12# on my SP 22LR and it made a significant difference in DA pull. SA pull was fine, out of the box, but DA was just almost impossible for me.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Back to the drawing board. A note at the top of Wolff's SP101 page reads:

"Important Note:

Due to changes in this gun by the manufacturer, the spring below will not function in SP101 .22 caliber rimfire models manufactured during and after 2011."

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Huh? Wonder what happened?

About a year ago I put the 10# hammer spring in and the 8# trigger return spring, but I got a lot of misfires.

So I put the 12#hammer spring in, and left the 8# trigger return spring. I also smoothed up a lot of the internals with 600-1000-1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper and some Flitz with a Dremel tool (very carefully and conservatively).

The DA trigger pull is smoother and around 10 lbs, while the SA pull is a beautiful 3.6 lbs (I didn't measure before the work). I get a few misfires (1-3 per 100 rounds), but since it's just a range toy I don't mind. Lots of fun to shoot and almost always goes to the range with me.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Mine was a 2011 model and I got away with it. Apparently, not all SP101 22 LR owners have been as lucky.

Saw a recent SP 22LR in the store the other day and the SA pull was almost unusable. Really pathetic. Had to be 8 + pounds. That's one that never should have gotten away from Ruger. Hate to think I no longer have the option of a spring kit on these otherwise neat revolvers.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have the 10lb hammer spring and lightest trigger return spring installed in my 357 Magnum SP101 3" SS. Has been shot about 500 rounds without a single problem. I assume you may get some failures in the 22, since it takes alot more pressure to ignite the 22 rimfire case. As with any gun, the springs will wear with usage, so just get out htere and shoot the heck out of the gun until everything wears in good. You'll notice that after a few thousand rounds, a stock trigger spring setup will feel as nice as an aftermarket lower power one.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Mine was a 2011 model and I got away with it. Apparently, not all SP101 22 LR owners have been as lucky.
Hate to think I no longer have the option of a spring kit on these otherwise neat revolvers.
My SP101-22 was test fired July 16th 2012. I used the Wolff spring kit in mine, but even with the 12# spring, was getting unsatisfactory results. I installed the 8# trigger return spring, and went back to the rimfire mainspring. The DA pull IS better, and reliability is 100%. I have a notion that Wolff put that disclaimer on the package because the srings are unreliable with the rimfire version, not because of some mystical design change that wont allow the use of these springs.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I think if one searches the forum there was a discussion sometime back where someone with a .22 rimfire mentioned the mainspring was definitely heavier than the .357 version so it may turn out using the "stock" 14 lb mainspring could lower the DA pull on the .22LR without the misfires from the 12 lb spring.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I think if one searches the forum there was a discussion sometime back where someone with a .22 rimfire mentioned the mainspring was definitely heavier than the .357 version so it may turn out using the "stock" 14 lb mainspring could lower the DA pull on the .22LR without the misfires from the 12 lb spring.
Been there, tried that. Didnt work for me. What does work, and is acceptable is what I posted. Stock rimfire mainspring, and 8# trigger return spring. The trigger is long, but very predictable, stages nicely and the reliability is 100%. With a centerfire SP101 mainspring, the reliability was around 80% in DA.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I just put a 12 lb hammer spring and 10 lb trigger return spring in mine. Shot 100 rounds yesterday and no FTF. Definitely made a difference.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Huh? Wonder what happened?
They changed the design of the hammer to reduce the hammer mass.

The SP101 hammer actually has a few redesigns over time. If you take a few apart, there are other minor differences, and differences between RF/CF models.

I never operated on a .327, but I'd bet there are some differences there also, as it uses a Small Rifle primer due to increased operating pressures.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I put the 12lb. hammer, and the 8lb. rebound springs in. It still has a very heavy pull. (Smooth but still too heavy). I will try the 11 lb. hammer spring next time. I had two FTFs in 400 rounds of Federal bulk, and NO malfunctions using any quality CCI ammo.
I dont know how S&W can get away with an 8.5 lb. hammer spring in their .22s?
I also wonder why Ruger doesnt change to the rectangle shape firing pin? That would be the answer to the problem!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They changed the design of the hammer to reduce the hammer mass.

The SP101 hammer actually has a few redesigns over time. If you take a few apart, there are other minor differences, and differences between RF/CF models.

I never operated on a .327, but I'd bet there are some differences there also, as it uses a Small Rifle primer due to increased operating pressures.
That is interesting you say that about the hammers.. My new SP101 .22 has a MIM trigger, and a Cast? Stainless hammer. I have seen pictures on GB, where the SP101 has a MIM Hammer as well as a MIM trigger. You can tell by the line down the middle of the hammer. My hammer does not have the line?? .... So I am guessing Ruger wanted the hammer to have more mass?.........:confused::confused:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
That is interesting you say that about the hammers.. My new SP101 .22 has a MIM trigger, and a Cast? Stainless hammer. . So I am guessing Ruger wanted the hammer to have more mass?.
Yep, and if you drop them on a digital scale, it's apparent that was the design plan. I have three SP101's in the safe. An early .38 Special I found in a used gun display (<$200 at the time, nearly new), My 4", and my daughters .22LR. The parts are all similar, but not identical.

Owning many Rugers over time, and having retained most of them, I find that polishing the hammer strut makes a surprising difference in all of them. The "gritty" feel disappears, and I suspect friction does also. And the cost is cheap. I use a 1200 grit Emory, and finish/polish with a Dremel buffing wheel with buffing compound. My BlackHawks are nearly "three screw" slick. The SP101's are very smooth in DA/SA.

·
Registered
629 Posts
But is the 22 spring more pounds than the 357? That is the million dollar question.

The Ruger stock spring is heavier in the .22 than the centerfire SP101. The Wolff spring kit is the same for all models of the SP101, so a 12# spring is the same if you use it in a .22 or a centerfire. I put the 12# spring in my SP101 .22 and it works great, a few missfires at first, but as the revolver breaks in I virtually never get any now. It really makes a world of difference, but as I said the revolver gets better the more you shoot it. The SP 101 .22 is now my favorite and most used revolver. Very accurate also.
I read the statement on the Wolff site and it is puzzling. As far as the question about the Wolff spring kit not fitting a SP101 .22 made during or after 2011, my SP101 .22 was made in Nov. 2011 and I have the 17113 spring kit in as they sold then and still sell today, and it fit and works fine.
I might be wrong but I believe the "new" Sp101 .22 was first sold during late summer of 2011. If thats the case all would have been made during and after 2011.
Maybe Wolff is tired of .22 owners putting in one of the too light springs and then complaining they don't work or Wolff is not accurate about when some design chage was made as to date of manufacture? Any other ideas?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.