Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a almost new sr9c , i put around 250 rds through it. after about 100 rds the slide lock spring came off and held the slide open after every rd, i saw ruger will fix this but the fix doesnt look much better than the initial setup, for a temp measure ive put the spring back on. crimped it in place and put a dab of super glue on it and also put a dab under the slide lock button so its not possible to move upward in the event of another failure. i know this isnt the recc way to fix the issue but i know for sure if i need the gun to work i wont suffer a failure at the wrong time, i was thinkin of just removing the slide lock lever completely and using a washer in its place to just fill the space next to the trigger assembly but i think the super glue method works ok. this seems to be a very bad design from the factory and i doubt ill buy another ruger again.has anyone found a permanent and trustworthy fix to this issue or just the ruger new spring? Its harder to break the gun down without the slide lock but its still possible.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I don't have any SRs. Not a fan. I do have a lot of other Rugers which have given me excellent service. Hope you don't judge all of them from your SR9C experience.

HSG

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i really like the trigger and the surprising accuracy of the gun. just dont like the fact that it let me down already, i think my fix will work providing super glue holds up to the next range test of a few hundred rds to keep the slide lock held down.if not im gonna remove the slide lock lever all together and just use a washer as a shim to hold the trigger from having side to side freeplay.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Welcome, 97

I have the SR9C and I have had it completely apart a couple times now.

There is nothing poorly designed I have seen. Couple thousand rounds and no problems.

I am not sure what you mean about when Ruger fixes it for you it not being better.

I don't understand why you are thinking about superglue and washers.

Ruger will repair your gun completely at their expense including overnight shipping both ways.

It is not a hard fix, you could put the spring back with no problem, but you say you have crimped it. It is probably damaged now. So definitely needs replacing.

Why not let Ruger take care of it for you? When you get it back, it will be fine. There is nothing inherently wrong with their slide lever design. You just had bad luck with probably a bad spring bar, perhaps just a smidgeon too short.

Don't mess around with ridiculous washers and superglue. Get it fixed right at completely their expense.

Doc

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the problem is rugers "fix" just includes replacing the spring and crimping the lever to hold it in place better. which is the same thing i did. but due to the design that still leaves the possibility of it detaching at any random time which isnt acceptable for a daily carry gun. i left the lever and spring in and just put a dab of super glue on the spring also where it contacts the lever to make sure it stays. i also put a drop under the slide lock lever it self so that it cannot move upward even if the spring did somehow come off. its not practical but it will assure the failure doesnt happen again. the only thing it affects is breaking down the gun which is a bit harder now but id rather have that then risk failure

·
Registered
805 Posts
Send it back to Ruger for a correct fix. Super glues will not work on a sustained basis. Firing the pistol will break the bond quickly IMO. If you think the design is bad well that is your opinion. Get it fixed and trade it for something you think is better. As it is you are greatly diminishing the value of your pistol and probably creating other problems in the long run.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Well, not to sound negative, but do you really think your "fix" with super glue and washers is better than Ruger repairing it properly?

If you do then you probably need to sell the Ruger and get a brand you have confidence in. I'm sure you can find someone out there who will buy a pistol with super glue chunks on it holding it together. (Not!)

Perhaps you have already called Ruger and they sent you a tube of super glue and a couple of washers?

I see you are also convinced what Ruger will do to fix the problem, so I guess that means you have spares of all the parts involved so you "know" exactly what is wrong.

If it were my pistol and the problem part was obvious, I'd contact Ruger and get a new part sent to me, probably free.

From the threads I've read, it is some kind of fitment problem with the spring and lock assembly. Once fixed, the pistols seem to run fine. Some describe a very simple fix, but I doubt that you can implement it now that you've bent things around.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
I have a almost new sr9c , i put around 250 rds through it. after about 100 rds the slide lock spring came off and held the slide open after every rd, i saw ruger will fix this but the fix doesnt look much better than the initial setup, for a temp measure ive put the spring back on. crimped it in place and put a dab of super glue on it and also put a dab under the slide lock button so its not possible to move upward in the event of another failure. i know this isnt the recc way to fix the issue but i know for sure if i need the gun to work i wont suffer a failure at the wrong time, i was thinkin of just removing the slide lock lever completely and using a washer in its place to just fill the space next to the trigger assembly but i think the super glue method works ok. this seems to be a very bad design from the factory and i doubt ill buy another ruger again.has anyone found a permanent and trustworthy fix to this issue or just the ruger new spring? Its harder to break the gun down without the slide lock but its still possible.
Wow, a bad design from the factory... :eek:

I suppose my almost 6 year old SR9c with more than 5500 rounds thru it (Yes I count and keep a notebook) is gonna break at any instant.

Considering:

-- the number of SR series pistols manufactured,
-- the fact that they all use the same type of mechanism,
-- and the very, very few number of people who have reported problems,

I highly doubt Ruger has a design problem.

A mechanical crimp when done right is way stronger than a superglued metal to metal bond.

In my opinion, relying on a metal to metal superglued joint in a firearm is definitely a bad design choice.

IMO, your best shot is to send it back to Ruger, let them fix it. Sell it and get a firearm from another manufacturer. You will never be happy with an SR series if you really believe is has a bad design.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I had the slide stop issue on my SR9c after the first 100 rounds. I sent it to Ruger. With shipping I had it back in 5 days (including a weekend) and it has well over 5k rounds through it now with no issues. I would not hesitate to have them fix it.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
i really like the trigger and the surprising accuracy of the gun. just dont like the fact that it let me down already, i think my fix will work providing super glue holds up to the next range test of a few hundred rds to keep the slide lock held down.if not im gonna remove the slide lock lever all together and just use a washer as a shim to hold the trigger from having side to side freeplay.
No disrespect intended 97, but "wow" - superglue and washers? What happened - no snot and spit available? It's unfortunate you received what appears to be an aberration, but I can tell you my 9c has been flawless for several years and several thousand rounds. Only now am I experiencing an occasional failure to reset of the striker. I will be thoroughly cleaning the striker channel and if that does not 100% cure the problem, I'll be replacing the spring. What I WON'T be doing is adding parts that the gun was not designed to operate with. Best of luck with your issues.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
No disrespect intended 97, but "wow" - superglue and washers? What happened - no snot and spit available? It's unfortunate you received what appears to be an aberration, but I can tell you my 9c has been flawless for several years and several thousand rounds. Only now am I experiencing an occasional failure to reset of the striker. I will be thoroughly cleaning the striker channel and if that does not 100% cure the problem, I'll be replacing the spring. What I WON'T be doing is adding parts that the gun was not designed to operate with. Best of luck with your issues.
A dirty striker presents itself more as a light strike. If the trigger isn't returning forward, clean between the trigger bar and the frame and make sure the trigger bar isn't bent (which can happen if the trigger isn't fully forward when reassembling the firearm.)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
A dirty striker presents itself more as a light strike. If the trigger isn't returning forward, clean between the trigger bar and the frame and make sure the trigger bar isn't bent (which can happen if the trigger isn't fully forward when reassembling the firearm.)
Great. Thanks for the advice. I'll check those areas on the next breakdown.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts