Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got all of my deer hunting handguns dialed in and ready for the woods. Opening day isn’t for about 2 weeks, but I am ready. We are allowed one trophy buck, one smaller buck, and four does. Last year I only got one doe. So I am not expecting to fill all of my tags. I will be happy just putting some meat in the freezer. This is the third or fourth year where we are allowed to use handguns. Anybody else plan on using a handgun for hunting this year?
F9AFFC05-681E-47C4-8F41-4BA2785855EC.jpeg
804CA4E4-56AD-43B7-9BA6-96BC6886D008.jpeg
9EAA6C1F-083E-4D68-9F82-24D277B34B51.jpeg
3F7CB2ED-DCC0-4745-B6EB-9AA67D6F7C0F.jpeg
5F4EB527-FECD-4413-A36A-DBCF9CD9EB06.jpeg

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Does this count?

IMG_0218.JPG

My TC chambered in 7-08 Rem..........It's my dedicated LR pistol, I generally don't use it in the regular firearms season but we do have a pistol/black powder season here in Missouri. I won't think twice about shots out to 300yds, provided I can stop them long enough to drop the hammer.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Skyhunter, that 657 is a beauty! I have always wanted a double action 41 mag.
Mark204, sure that counts, although that would not be legal in my neck of the woods. We are only allowed to use straight wall cartridges between 357 and 500. There is also a case length restriction that eliminates 99% of autoloaders.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool! Good luck to you ngashooter! Is that a belt buckle in the center photo?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Tried it one year + went back to my TC Scout for gun season. Saw a scoped Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter at a gun show + had to have it. Dragged that monstrosity thru the woods for 1 day + gave up. Just couldn't get a fuzzy feeling with that thing strapped across my chest. Kudos to those of you who can, and from the looks of those targets, you do! For me, scoped .44 mag 7 1/2" barrel just way, way, WAY too much gun!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, my parents got it in Alaska 20 years ago. It has .44mag brass and the cylinder spins.
That is nice! When I worked as a pipefitter, we used to make belt buckles but not as cool as that one.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tried it one year + went back to my TC Scout for gun season. Saw a scoped Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter at a gun show + had to have it. Dragged that monstrosity thru the woods for 1 day + gave up. Just couldn't get a fuzzy feeling with that thing strapped across my chest. Kudos to those of you who can, and from the looks of those targets, you do! For me, scoped .44 mag 7 1/2" barrel just way, way, WAY too much gun!
That’s funny because I feel the same way about a shotgun. Last year they made it legal to use a lever gun if it was chambered in a straight wall pistol cartridge. I have a marlin 1894 in 45 colt. It shoots great, but I just can’t bring myself to take it hunting. We are all different, but it is all good. Just being out there is what is imoprtant to me.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Phish, those are two fine looking hunting handguns! Good luck to you! Can you tell us more about the custom on the bottom?

Reactions: Phish

·
Registered
556 Posts
Phish, those are two fine looking hunting handguns! Good luck to you! Can you tell us more about the custom on the bottom?
I bought it used and whom ever had it polished it super bright so my gunsmith buddy took it all apart and did his work on it by taping off sections and bead blasting. Took off the front sight and plugged them. Other than that its pretty much stock. My son is going to put some magna port style cuts in the muzzle, but really the recoil is fairly mild even with the hot 300gr. loads so haven't done it yet. I got a set Herrett target grips in Zebra wood on them now that I sanded down to fit my hand.
F42985EC-8F8D-4C3F-AF59-98961F1A7724_1_201_a.jpeg

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
805 Posts
ngashooter, I have that same, "Deer Predator" hat!

I usually carry either my .41 mag Redhawk or Blackhawk as a sidearm while hunting, with the desire to use it if a close-up opportunity presents itself.

However, my hunting handgun is my .44 mag Super Blackhawk with Weaver scope:

I've got ugly Pachmyer grips on it now, and they and the the scope absolutely desecrate the good looks of the Super Blackhawk...but I equate it to an A-10 Warthog.

Aqualung

·
Registered
456 Posts
Nice looking revolvers and T/C All . I to will be joining you fellows as well next month I can't wait . Me and my brothers got the cabin all straightened up and ready and will be carrying the SRH 44mag . I haven't got anything with her yet but maybe this is my year and Good Luck and Be Safe out there this year .

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I take a 6" GP100 as a backup. It's highly regarded as a deer pistol but oddly a 357 carbine is often looked at as marginal
I also have a gp100 with an ultradot on it, but haven’t got it perfected yet so I figured I would leave it out. A 357 carbine with the right bullet is a deer hammer.
97F58855-B024-46DD-9AB6-F1159FD9F4D1.jpeg

·
Registered
456 Posts
I also have a gp100 with an ultradot on it, but haven’t got it perfected yet so I figured I would leave it out. A 357 carbine with the right bullet is a deer hammer. View attachment 147904

Wheelguns : That is a great setup you have there what and were did you get that top bar and mil scope and How well do you like it . I'm looking for an upgrade on my GP100 as well and that looks like what I've been looking for maybe . Does the POA work well for you .

Thanks

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The mount is a weigand combat mount. It is only made for the 6” gp100. They have different mounts for shorter barrels. It is rock solid and hooks in the front sight dovetail using the plunger setup. The back screws into the frame where the rear sight would be. This is an awesome mount, although it wasn’t cheap.

The tube is an ultradot branded red dot sight. These have always held up well for me, even under heavy recoil. I picked this one up used. It has been good. This one has a one inch tube, and a 4moa dot. I actually prefer the 30mm tubes that they offer. They give you a wider field of view. The 4moa dot is fine. I prefer a 2moa dot, but it seems that you pay alot more money for a small difference. I like the tube dot sights better for hunting, especially if it is raining. I have vortex venoms on 2 of my hunting revolvers, and these are fine sights also. They are more compact and seem to work good on shorter barreled revolvers.

The sights line up good for me. When hunting, I am always looking for something to use as a rest whether it is a tree branch, or whatever presents itself in the situation I am in. I personally favor red dots over scopes. The hunting that I do either involves sitting in the woods or in a stand in the woods. I do not see deer coming for a long way off. I feel that the red dots allow me to get off a faster shot than a scope. Everyone’s situation is different, as is their preference.

·
Registered
456 Posts
The mount is a weigand combat mount. It is only made for the 6” gp100. They have different mounts for shorter barrels. It is rock solid and hooks in the front sight dovetail using the plunger setup. The back screws into the frame where the rear sight would be. This is an awesome mount, although it wasn’t cheap.

The tube is an ultradot branded red dot sight. These have always held up well for me, even under heavy recoil. I picked this one up used. It has been good. This one has a one inch tube, and a 4moa dot. I actually prefer the 30mm tubes that they offer. They give you a wider field of view. The 4moa dot is fine. I prefer a 2moa dot, but it seems that you pay alot more money for a small difference. I like the tube dot sights better for hunting, especially if it is raining. I have vortex venoms on 2 of my hunting revolvers, and these are fine sights also. They are more compact and seem to work good on shorter barreled revolvers.

The sights line up good for me. When hunting, I am always looking for something to use as a rest whether it is a tree branch, or whatever presents itself in the situation I am in. I personally favor red dots over scopes. The hunting that I do either involves sitting in the woods or in a stand in the woods. I do not see deer coming for a long way off. I feel that the red dots allow me to get off a faster shot than a scope. Everyone’s situation is different, as is their preference.

Thanks Wheelguns . I have the 6in gp100 in SS the talo edition and that's the rig I'm looking for . How is the balance and recoil .

Thanks

1 - 20 of 55 Posts