Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The balance is great. The recoil is uneventful, especially after shooting the 480. I use to think the 6” full lug was slightly muzzle heavy, but with the added weight on top it seems to balance out a little better. With the big hogue grip, the extra weight isn’t even noticeable. The mount is lightweight aluminum, and the ultradots are much lighter than a scope.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Just looked at Super Redhawk in 10mm at friend gun shop. I almost had that itch but I passed on it.

·
Registered
569 Posts
The mount is a weigand combat mount. It is only made for the 6” gp100. They have different mounts for shorter barrels. It is rock solid and hooks in the front sight dovetail using the plunger setup. The back screws into the frame where the rear sight would be. This is an awesome mount, although it wasn’t cheap.

The tube is an ultradot branded red dot sight. These have always held up well for me, even under heavy recoil. I picked this one up used. It has been good. This one has a one inch tube, and a 4moa dot. I actually prefer the 30mm tubes that they offer. They give you a wider field of view. The 4moa dot is fine. I prefer a 2moa dot, but it seems that you pay alot more money for a small difference. I like the tube dot sights better for hunting, especially if it is raining. I have vortex venoms on 2 of my hunting revolvers, and these are fine sights also. They are more compact and seem to work good on shorter barreled revolvers.

The sights line up good for me. When hunting, I am always looking for something to use as a rest whether it is a tree branch, or whatever presents itself in the situation I am in. I personally favor red dots over scopes. The hunting that I do either involves sitting in the woods or in a stand in the woods. I do not see deer coming for a long way off. I feel that the red dots allow me to get off a faster shot than a scope. Everyone’s situation is different, as is their preference.
I use a V cradle type walking stick that is length adjustable . I got it in the Cabelas bargain cave and it works great when out in the cold weather all day. Agree with everything you said about Red dot. I will be going that route whenever I stop buying guns. Red dot in the first and last 1/2hour of the day makes all the difference which is when I get a chance to shoot.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
You sound like you have it all figured out Phish! I agree with everything that you said. I am sitting, leaning against a tree for the most part. I usually just prop up my knees, and rest my forearms against my knees. I practice like this throughout the year. I find that this gives me more flexibility to move if I think I should. I have been looking for a short set of shooting sticks that could be used when sitting on a small stool, but haven’t really found what I am looking for. I see things for sale online, but don’t really trust that they would work.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I use a folding turkey chair with a back in a blind or out in the brush hiding. The chair has to be comfortable where I can minimize my movement as comfort is paramount.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been using a Ruger super redhawk in .454 casull w/ a reddot scope. Drops them right in their tracks. I also have a T/C Contender in .35 Remington w/ a 4 power scope. Found a rifle in a treestand is just too cumbersome.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Brutus09, I feel the same way about a long gun being cumbersome. Nice revolver! If anyone tells you a 454 is overkill, tell them that “there are no degrees of dead. Dead is dead.” Besides, it makes tracking a whole lot easier.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I used a 450Bushy Ruger last year to take a big buck but that thrill was nothing like a pistol. Got that mindset out of the way and back to pistols. My favorite pistol I used to have and regret selling was S&W 586 8" that taken a few does with 180 XTP.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i used to use a 45lc blackhawk. but upgraded to XP100 in 35 rem, with 1957 sw 44 mag for cleanup/backup.. no luck yet

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Jbruger, nice guns! Have you ever heard of Mark Hampton? He is a handgun hunter of the highest caliber. He has traveled the world hunting game with his xp100’s. He has taken game past 400 yards with his, everything from large dangerous game in Africa to sheep and grizzly in Alaska. Unfortunatel, in my neck of the woods, only straight walled cartridges are permitted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Jbruger, nice guns! Have you ever heard of Mark Hampton? He is a handgun hunter of the highest caliber. He has traveled the world hunting game with his xp100’s. He has taken game past 400 yards with his, everything from large dangerous game in Africa to sheep and grizzly in Alaska. Unfortunatel, in my neck of the woods, only straight walled cartridges are permitted.
wheelguns.. no i haven't heard of him. i hunt in upstate ny wooded areas. so ours shots are close. in any. also have aged eyes.. i did sight the xp in at 100 yards which the 2-7 power scope helps tremendously .
i will look into mark hampton now...

thanks

Reactions: Wheelguns

·
Registered
160 Posts
wheelguns.. no i haven't heard of him. i hunt in upstate ny wooded areas. so ours shots are close. in any. also have aged eyes.. i did sight the xp in at 100 yards which the 2-7 power scope helps tremendously .
i will look into mark hampton now...

thanks
Used to Hunt around Margaretsville(Catskills), and also in The Adirondacks. Tupper & Long Lake, or Santinoni Forever Wilderness. Great areas to Hunt, in Upstate N.Y.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Those are some beautiful handguns. I have the same affinity for bisley framed rugers as you seem to. And your target results are equally impressive. I hunt white tailed deer and hogs with mine. But where we differ is, I do not know what those huge things on top of your beautiful revolvers are. I like John Taffin's idea of a perfect packin pistol. If it will not fit in a standard hip holster, it just is not for me. But like I said, beautiful guns and target results.....Good Luck..

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Those are some beautiful handguns. I have the same affinity for bisley framed rugers as you seem to. And your target results are equally impressive. I hunt white tailed deer and hogs with mine. But where we differ is, I do not know what those huge things on top of your beautiful revolers are. I like John Taffin's idea of a perfect packin pistol. If it will not fit in a standard hip holster, it just is not for me. But like I said, beautiful guns and target results.....Good Luck..
They are called getting old. I just can’t shoot with iron sights like I used to, and the red dots are best way for me to be confident in my shots out to 100 yards.

·
Registered
160 Posts
They are called getting old. I just can’t shoot with iron sights like I used to, and the red dots are best way for me to be confident in my shots out to 100 yards.
Boy do I Get THAT, now-a-days, with Iron Sights, but the only pistol scope I had took a dump and Weaver is no more, nor Fixing their Broken ones.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I dont know how I missed the original post. Handgun hunting is fun as heck. I wanted to go for bear this year with my 45-70 but the tags ran dry before I could out where I wanted to. Maybe I'll try and and get a leftover javelina tag.

Magnum Research BFR in 45-70

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,126 Posts
Beautiful guns in this thread. Really good looking revolvers set-up with purpose. I like that.

I loaned my smaller caliber rifles (7x57) to my brother and nephew this year. They're first time hunters and I'm teaching them the ropes. Then my wife chimes in and says she wants to try hunting too. So there went my 25-06. I'm left with .30 caliber or bigger rifles. I thought about using my 30-06 but I've killed so many deer with that rifle it's almost boring. I've been tempted before to use one of my 365/375 caliber rifles for whitetail but I'd hate to see what a 286gr TSX would do to a 150lb doe. I guess I could shoot 300gr solids. That wouldn't destroy as much meat.

I briefly considered using a 44Mag or 45Colt Bisley. Then it hit me. If I'm going to use a handgun caliber why not finally take one of my pistol caliber #1's hunting? So that's what I'm gonna do. I think I'll start with 454C and when that deer is in the freezer I'll use 480R. Neither one is a handgun but they're handgun caliber, single shot and wear iron sights. Does that count? Besides, based on these photos my #1 barrels aren't much longer than some of these hand cannons!

Anyway, the main reason I chimed in is to compliment the fine looking pistols in this thread and wish y'all good luck.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Has anyone seen the show “Big iron” on amazon prime? It is a show done by Max Prasac, and is about handgun hunting from Texas to Africa. The covid crap sidelined this years season, but he will be back again next season. I highly recommend it for anyone that likes hunting. “Handgun hunting, just like bow hunting, only louder”

21 - 40 of 58 Posts