Ruger Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,499 Posts
NH muzzleloader started yesterday and I shot a nice fat 5 point buck 15 minutes into legal time this morning. Never got a chance to handgun hunting again this season. ;) Maybe next year.

·
Super Moderator
4,126 Posts
NH muzzleloader started yesterday and I shot a nice fat 5 point buck 15 minutes into legal time this morning. Never got a chance to handgun hunting again this season. ;) Maybe next year.
Congrats!

Reactions: Wheelguns

·
Registered
184 Posts
Has anyone seen the show “Big iron” on amazon prime? It is a show done by Max Prasac, and is about handgun hunting from Texas to Africa. The covid crap sidelined this years season, but he will be back again next season. I highly recommend it for anyone that likes hunting. “Handgun hunting, just like bow hunting, only louder”
No I have to check that out.

I always said bow hunting taught me how to be a handgun hunter.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
165 Posts
Gun season opens 14 November. I'll be out there opening day.

looks like a Redhawk with S&W grips-nice Oct 17 th started it here. Been using My .44 SBH Bisley Hunter. So far One 7 pt and 1- 8 pt, in less than 2 wks.
Not bad for "The front 30 acres" One is Mine, one My Hunting/shooting partner's.. And we haven't Hit the Rut, Yet. This is a great season, so Far, and looking better.
Good Luck with that Pistol.!!!!
I love any kind of Large game Hunting, but Handguns make it intensely enjoyable, for Me.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Season for me starts nov 13. Friday the 13th. I don’t know whether that is good or bad, but we will find out. Good luck everybody! Great start CIB!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Season for me starts nov 13. Friday the 13th. I don’t know whether that is good or bad, but we will find out. Good luck everybody! Great start CIB!
Wish you luck. Hangun hunting is exciting.

I just started watching this show "Big Iron"

Are you going to use a shooting stick?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Says the 13th is a very good all day, on My Solunar Projection data..
good Luck to You, My Friend!!!
What Ya gonna be hunting with?That scoped Black Hawk? Cal.?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Well I hope you guys are right about fri 13th. I will be taking my 41 mag blackhawk with the vortex venom red dot. No shooting sticks for me. I usually just sit leaning against a tree with my knees up and my forearms rested against my knees. Thanks for the good lucks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got a spike with my .41 Magnum Bisley Blackhawk yesterday. Shot was at about 15 yds broadside. Hit him with a Remington HTP 210 grain semi-jacketed flat point. Penetration was excellent but there was only one little drop of blood that I could find. He only went about 30 yds though so even without any good blood sign I was able to track him into the woods. Next time I'll be hunting with Hornady 210 grain XTP hollowpoint handloads. We thought he had a funky antler growing down the side of his face so we wanted to cull him but it turns out he was a spike with a broken antler. He's gonna be a great eater! I just installed a fiber optic front sight on my Blackhawk last month and it worked really well. Good luck handgun hunters! I want to get back at it tonight and shoot this spike's grandpa!

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
I got a spike with my .41 Magnum Bisley Blackhawk yesterday. Shot was at about 15 yds broadside. Hit him with a Remington HTP 210 grain semi-jacketed flat point. Penetration was excellent but there was only one little drop of blood that I could find. He only went about 30 yds though so even without any good blood sign I was able to track him into the woods. Next time I'll be hunting with Hornady 210 grain XTP hollowpoint handloads. We thought he had a funky antler growing down the side of his face so we wanted to cull him but it turns out he was a spike with a broken antler. He's gonna be a great eater! I just installed a fiber optic front sight on my Blackhawk last month and it worked really well. Good luck handgun hunters! I want to get back at it tonight and shoot this spike's grandpa!
Nice Harvest!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
165 Posts
The .41 R.M. is My Personal Favorite!!! Especially on Whitetails. The Remington loads have more penetration than needed for whitetails, but work great on pigs, etc. A 200 gr JHP Remington Bullet(limited yearly Run?)bullet with 13 ish grains of Blue Dot loads works well, in My 6.5" Blackhawk or the Model 57 S&W (6")., as will 210 XTP, no doubt..
Good to hear of regular Handgun Hunters, and their successes. Congrats.
My only Bisley is the Bisley Hunter, in .44 Mag, but would love one in .41 Rem Mag. At 7.5" would be as good in .41 as it is in .44.
GL Be Safe

·
Registered
530 Posts
Who said the .41 was dead ? Seems like I remember a couple “gun scribes” talking about that a few years ago, but I see a lot of love for the .41 here on the forum. That’s great, I have three of them myself ! ;)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Who said the .41 was dead ? Seems like I remember a couple “gun scribes” talking about that a few years ago, but I see a lot of love for the .41 here on the forum. That’s great, I have three of them myself ! ;)
Only 2 here, anymore, but all toll, over the yrs-6
The caliber is still My Favorite, in a wheelgun, that is.!

41 - 58 of 58 Posts