Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had no idea people were building AR's chambered in Ruger .204. Just curious to see how many here bought or built one. Would be neat as a DMR mousegun project.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
http://www.dpmsinc.com/Varmint--Target_ep_79-1.html
My DPMS in .204, easily shoots .5" 5 shot groups @ 100yrds rested, mine has different furniture, though. I asked Ruger if the planned on doing the SR take down in .204 and was told they had no plans for it. I think they are missing a good market by not doing their SR or AR chambered in .204.

·
"The Real Deal"
8,040 Posts
Yup, its out there, ultrafast bullet, and available to build on the ar platform. I think it would be interesting in an ar, although I have not built or shot one so far, unusual since I have built or shot alot of other ar calibers, or more than most. I am actually thinking of building a .22-250 on an lr308 platform for something different, also a very fast round. I am curious about he .204, range, wind shift, etc. Interesting for sure.;)

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Varmint - Target
My DPMS in .204, easily shoots .5" 5 shot groups @ 100yrds rested, mine has different furniture, though. I asked Ruger if the planned on doing the SR take down in .204 and was told they had no plans for it. I think they are missing a good market by not doing their SR or AR chambered in .204.
It is a little strange that Ruger did not jump on .204 in some form of MSR , seeing as it's their own creation and all. It would be a great opportunity to promote the caliber. I was a little surprised to not see .204 offered in the RPR, seems like the caliber and platform would go together like peanut butter and jelly.

I was looking at the ballistics data on this cal., the only thing more like a laser seems to be a laser. If I read the chart correctly, it has only a -5" drop over 300yds using 40gr bullets. Does this bullet go hyper-sonic or something?

·
Banned
3,167 Posts

The complete rifle at the bottom is a 204Ruger. 22" Blackhole Weaponry Barrel.

Why a 204Ruger? Fox and bobcat hunting - 32grn pills can be ran really nice on small predators, whereas my 50grn V-max's from the 223/5.56 case are far from fox fur friendly.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
The .204 can be effective on larger than predator sized game.
My hunting buddy took three whitetail deer last season with his .204 using 32 gr. v-max running about 4000fps at muzzle. one @ 250 yrds (laser ranged, neck shot (DRT), another 150 yrd lung shot (ran 30 yrds before piling up, no exit wound, bullet found on the offside just under the hide), last one head shot a little over 100yrds (DRT).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts