Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
putting this in the tavern because it's really more of a question, so i don't think it really applies to the classifieds.

seriously thinking of selling my 10/22 TD but have never done a private sale before. .....{removed classified related info}
anyone have any thoughts about finding private buyers, and also how to do that all legally as far as paperwork, etc.? thanks in advance, guys.

·
Liberty or Death
2,569 Posts
Think twice or 3 times before selling. I've regretted selling every gun I've sold but 1. Then again, you could take your profit now and buy another one if this insanity ever stops.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Hey arg0 - Does Nevada have any restrictions regarding private sales? I would assume not but check first to make sure. If no local restrictions a private sale face to face (FTF) is easy - you hand over the gun & gear and receive the $$ in return and both go away happy. No paperwork or transfer needed. Some advocate using a bill of sale that includes names, addresses and driver's license numbers and both parties keep a copy. That is not required but is optional. You do not have the responsibility to verify that the buyer is legally able to possess a firearm, etc. If they are a convicted felon for instance and buy your 10/22 they broke the law not you. You could put an ad in the paper, a "for sale" post on a local gun forum, etc.

You could also list your 10/22 for sale on a site like GunBroker. You will have to register and create an account and pay a small fee to list your 10/22. You can then sell to someone out of state and have a broader market. There is also a modest fee to the site when you sell - something like $35 or so. Read other ads and see what typical clarifications to use, etc. and post lots of good photos. You will then ship to the buyer's FFL after they send you a copy of it. You can legally ship directly to the FFL but some receiving FFL want guns shipped from an FFL too. You can avoid any hassles by shipping from an FFL - just be sure to clarify in your listing and show the added cost.

First step would be to go on the auction sites and see what 10/22 TD are selling for right now. Then you'll start to have an idea if this is worthwhile or not. I'll be curious to hear how you make out as I'm thinking of doing the same thing with an AR-15 I bought this past summer.

Wave

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Private sales abound in Maine, much of the traffic through the "Uncle Henry's" classifieds. Simple, one-to-one sales with no legal requirement for ID. I always ask to see at least a driver's license, if not a cwc permit, and record the information. Pre-screening over the phone helps ease some of the angst attendant to such transactions.

·
Super Moderator
16,243 Posts
arg0 ... Let's leave this as a question about the process of private sales as the way you set up your thread was a violation of classified policy (I edited out the firearm info that would normally go into the classifieds here).

To the meat of your question, while I'm not a lawyer (check your state law to verify), I believe that you are allowed to sell your privately owned firearm to another Nevada resident without going through an FFL (assuming that you have no reason to believe the person that you are selling it to is restricted from buying a firearm legally ... felon, under 21, mentally impaired, etc.). With that said, I never enter into a private sale here in Ohio without a bill of sale and unless the buyer/seller has a valid CCW permit. YMMV

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
arg0 ... Let's leave this as a question about the process of private sales as the way you set up your thread was a violation of classified policy (I edited out the firearm info that would normally go into the classifieds here).

To the meat of your question, while I'm not a lawyer (check your state law to verify), I believe that you are allowed to sell your privately owned firearm to another Nevada resident without going through an FFL (assuming that you have no reason to believe the person that you are selling it to is restricted from buying a firearm legally ... felon, under 21, mentally impaired, etc.). With that said, I never enter into a private sale here in Ohio without a bill of sale and unless the buyer has a valid CCW permit. YMMV
Same here. I don't care what their excuss is if they don't have a CCW permit. I don't need to sell anything that bad. I've only sold a few guns in my life and its always been to someone that I know or a friend of someone I know. I've donated a few to museums also.

·
Registered
342 Posts
The only time I sold one was to a friend of mine who wanted to give it to his brother for Christmas who was also a good friend of mine. They both have their CCW permits and he really liked the pistol I had. He shot it a few times at the range but due to a lack of funds from a recent divorce he couldn't muster up the money. Gave him a killer deal on it and I told him to tell his brother it was from both of us.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I have never sold anything but have bought quite a few guns privately. I had a buyers and sellers bill of sale drawn up by a lawyer so its all fill in the blank. Very simple.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
You could try going to a gun show to sell. I have sold one that way. Make a sign to hang on your neck announcing what you have. I bet you would have little trouble finding a buyer. It is a good idea to stick to selling to permit holders for your own protection and peace of mind.

You could also try selling on consignment at your LGS. Won't get quite as much after the store takes its cut, but saves you the hassle of finding a buyer.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I use Armslist to spread the word about a gun I wish to sell or trade. It is free, where Guns America and Gunbroker have various fees for what and how you list things. I have had about an 80% completion rate on the armslist deals. Some folks back out at the last minute, who knows why. The deal is not done until the transaction is Complete !!

I am in Indiana. No rules for private sales...but I check the buyers Drivers License for age and resident of Indiana status. If I ship out of state they pay shipping and transfer fee. and I only ship to an ffl dealer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have sold a 38 on gunbroker. Easy peasy, and now I wish I had a 38 again haha. My wife said I could not have a new gun till I sold one and I really wanted the LC9...

·
Wandering Sandlapper
3,282 Posts
I've sold a couple through Armslist.

I only sell to someone with a CCW, if it is not someone I know well enough to know they are legally eligible to buy a firearm.

That way I know they have met the state's background check. Wouldn't want to be responsible for a criminal getting a gun.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use Armslist to spread the word about a gun I wish to sell or trade. It is free, where Guns America and Gunbroker have various fees for what and how you list things.....
I just want to second the use of Armlist. I did my first FTF sale right before Christmas. Posted on Armslist - had a response the next day and sold that evening. I took a bill of sale, and filled out the buyers information.

I felt a little "shady" in the busy parking lot doing the transaction, but it all worked out well.

·
Registered
827 Posts
When I lived in Virginia, face to face private sales were very common. I used to use a web site - VA Gun Trader | Buy, Sell and Trade Guns for Free! that had many long time and regular members who bought, sold and traded all the time. I got a couple of great trades through personal transactions, and sold one of mine I was not enamored with (and we did do a bill of sale - vaguntrader even has some suggested formats for that available to download).

Some people did use a bill of sale as a record, but many did not (VA law does not require any record of private sales). That was basically up to the buyer and seller to agree on what they were comfortable with.

Just make sure to find out what your particular state actually requires as the minimum (for example, Maryland, as I recall, allows private sales, but they must be processed through an FFL). Here in NC, handgun private sales require either a copy of the buyers carry permit, or a $5 handgun purchase permit which one gets from the local Sheriff's office. Private long gun sales do not require any paperwork, but many sellers will insist on either a carry permit or handgun purchase permit, or they will insist the exchange be done via an FFL.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
putting this in the tavern because it's really more of a question, so i don't think it really applies to the classifieds.

seriously thinking of selling my 10/22 TD but have never done a private sale before. .....{removed classified related info}
anyone have any thoughts about finding private buyers, and also how to do that all legally as far as paperwork, etc.? thanks in advance, guys.
I have sold ALL of mine and donated all the money to a left wing anti gun faction of the DNC.

NO GUNS here any longer. ;)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I'll second 'Armslist' as well. I have bought and sold using Armlist, both good experiences. Be sure to meet in a public place during the day, don't meet at a residence including yours. Not trying to alarm you but hey you never know. I would suggest a 'bill of sale'.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts