Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gotta be some fishermen or duck hunters out there. I have been looking at one for fishing in the rivers near me and also lakes less near but still accessible. Plus when we were in Montana at my friend's cabin on a lake, he had one with just a little 9.9hp motor on it and tooling around in the evening was quite enjoyable. I could see taking the wife and dogs and just enjoying the water. Seems like fun.

But if anyone has one, respond here or email me at [email protected], I'd like to pick your brain a bit.

Thanks.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Eddie,
I've got one, an old 10 footer that has pretty deep sides. They are an absolute hoot to have. I have a bigger boat that I use when it's a family outing, but when its just me looking for some alone time, the jon gets thrown in the back of the truck with the fly rod and cane pole and I'm off. Bought it for $40.00 years ago. Best money I've ever spent.
Brian

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We live so close to some very nice water, I think I'd get more use out of the river if I had a boat. Not to mention the many spots I can't reach while wading. But I think I'm leaning toward a bigger one, like 14' long and 48" wide seems like a nice size for two or three people and a dog or two. Of course that requires a trailer. Anyway, thanks Brian.

·
Registered
693 Posts
EddieF, are you fishing on Potomac, Shenandoah or both? I have only an inflatable boat good only for 2-3 ppl. Bought it in Costco for $50.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Eddie, this is just from my experience, so take it for what it's worth. If there is any kind of wind or current that creates any kind of chop, you'd be better off with a v-hull. A square bow flat bottom boat will beat the "L" out of you going up river, or trying to get anywhere fast in choppy weather. Plus, because they are somewhat long and narrow, the pounding of currents and waves can create stress cracks in the hull and cause some leaking. If you're going to be spending time on any "big" water, you'll want the capability to get off of the lake in a hurry in case of adverse conditions. I prefer welded aluminum boats vs. riveted, and I swear by Gregors or Valcos, 12 to 15 feet, with a 15 horse outboard. A 9.9 is sufficient on a 12 footer in my experience, but to get up on a plane I would go with a 15 hp. Big enough to move you along, but small enough to maintain trolling speed without the need for a trolling plate.

I fish a lot of high elevation lakes, and the storms can move in pretty much unannounced. Plus, the winds tend to kick up in the afternoon on the west side of the Sierra Nevadas, and at any time on the eastern slopes. Getting swamped is not fun...

The neat thing about smaller aluminum boats is that two guys can hand launch it in just about any lake. It might take a couple of trips to get everything to the lake, but basically, if I can see the lake, I can put my boat on it. Not so with fiberglass boats. My buddies with the $20,000 bass boats might get there quicker and more comfortably, but I can catch just as many fish, if not more because I can get to places that they can't. And there is virtually no maintenance involved with an aluminum boat, except on the motor. I can go an entire spring and summer on less than $200 is gas; that's one weekend for my bass boatin' buddies.

That's just my two cents' worth. I might add that me and a bud use his 14 ft. jon boat every spring with an electric trolling motor, drifting and bouncing nightcrawlers off of the bottom of the Merced river, just below the overflow spillway, during the snow melt runoff, and we knock 'em dead. It's almost no fun, we catch so many fish. As soon as I figure out how to post pictures, I'll share the photo evidence - no fish stories! [8D]

Peace and God bless, Wolfsong.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't rule out a v-hull, I guess, because without a jet motor I can't go really shallow with the flat bottom anyway. And I'm not buying a jet motor.

That said, I think I would be using this in calm conditions virtually all the time. So I'm not sure.

Blade, I live a mile from the Brunswick bridge over the Potomac and fish that river around Knoxville and Harpers Ferry. But the Shenandoah at Harpers Ferry is my favorite place to wade fish. Although if the water's not too low I am developing a new co-favorite spot on the Potomac. But when I drive over that Brunswick bridge and see that big, flat, calm stretch of the Potomac with anywhere from zero to two boats on it, I think there's some fish out there I could only reach with a boat.

It's not only about fishing though. Plenty of lakes around that would be nice to just go out on with the wife, or maybe just take the dog and a cigar and kill some time. Of course the fly rod would come along too in case of emergency...

I think I'll go to Bass Pro this weekend and see what's what. Thanks for the feedback, guys.

·
Registered
302 Posts
A 14 to 16 foot Jon with a 15 horse motor works good here on the Kansas river. Need a trolling motor on it too if you really want something dependable. imho.

tk

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tracker makes this 'modified V' hull that looks pretty versatile. Still pretty shallow in the back, but the V in front to smooth it out.

·
Registered
693 Posts
quote:Originally posted by EddieF
Blade, I live a mile from the Brunswick bridge over the Potomac and fish that river around Knoxville and Harpers Ferry. But the Shenandoah at Harpers Ferry is my favorite place to wade fish. Although if the water's not too low I am developing a new co-favorite spot on the Potomac. But when I drive over that Brunswick bridge and see that big, flat, calm stretch of the Potomac with anywhere from zero to two boats on it, I think there's some fish out there I could only reach with a boat.
Eddie, I know where your town is. ;) Harpers Ferry is my favorite place to hike. At the time when we were living in Leesburg, used to drive on Berlin Pike alot. Brunswick used to be called Berlin, hehe. Hey, maybe we could fish together someday.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Eddie, it looks pretty good indeed, $100 shipping to VA is not so bad as well. BTW, I happen to know a special canoe store in Vienna. I believe, seen this kind in their stock. Have you been there? It's located right on the corner of 123 and Lawyers St. Instead of paying for shipping, for that price you can get a decent trolling motor. :)

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not that Appalachian camping or whatever it was, that had the canoe hanging up outside? That's gone now I think. But I was under the impression this guy made them basically to order and nobody else stocked them. I talked to him, he said he'd ship for free, and I'd have to give him a deposit, pick my interior and exterior colors so they can start it, then choose all the accessories later. And there are some very cool accessories...

·
Registered
304 Posts
My dad owns a flatbottom boat that he bought new in the 70's. It's great for fishing shallow areas. You can take it in water less than 12" deep. There was a nice spot in Canada where we used to fish that was only nice because none of the big bass boats could get to it.

·
Registered
693 Posts
EddieF, you're right, that's the one! It was something Outfitters. I just called my friend, who lives next door to them; he confirmed the store is gone. They're building a bank out there. Geee, nothing stays forever. :( Sorry for apparent disinformation. I glad that you're getting free shipping. How much it's gonna be totaled the way you want the canoe to appear?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't know, I haven't figured all that out, or decided for sure. But it will surely be WAY less than a jon boat, trailer, gas motor and electric troller!!!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You know, I looked on craigslist and determined that I think I'm largely a New Stuff guy. Even if I have to wait a while to get it. There's a lot of shaky looking stuff on that site.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Hey, EddieF, I grew up on the Arkansas river. I had a 12' jon boat with a 5.5 hp gas motor. Me & a buddy spent countless hours on that river in that old boat, & caught hunderds of catfish. We could run up in the shallows & go into the many creeks that fed into the river. Places where we usualy could only walk to. Now I have a 16' "V" bottom aluminum boat, a canoe, a two man bass boat & several hi-tech fishing tubes. I take the "V" bottom to some of the lakes around southern Kansas & northern Oklahoma. Mostly, though, its the tubes or the 2-man that goes with me to the farm pond's & water shed's where the bass fishing is the best. The canoe works pretty good too, & is easy for me to load by myself. I do miss that old jon boat, though. I miss my fishin' buddy too. He died a few years back in a tree trimming accident.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry about your friend. Our neighbor fell trimming a tree a few years back and almost died. Major head injury. Me? I can't even clean my own gutters. Didn't used to hate ladders but old age has made me 'risk averse' I suppose.

I've never caught a catfish. It's on my list though, along with largemouth bass (only smallies so far) and I do want to catch a carp on a fly rod, I think that'd be fun.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts