Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the LGS just now and handled the Ruger Single Nine. What a beauty! Comes standard with Williams Fire Sights and packs 9 rounds of 22 WMR. Anyone have any comments before I do the usual foolish thing? :eek:

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Please do the foolish thing, then let us know how it shoots. :)

Actually, I have the Single Ten and have grown so fond of it that I've been thinking of the Single Nine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cost of 22 wmr ammo

I am looking at the single nine right now, but it is hard to justify the cost of 22wmr ammo. I spent hours on line and the best price I found is .17/round (cci 40 grain tmj). Just trying to add to the confusion. ERIC

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I am looking at the single nine right now, but it is hard to justify the cost of 22wmr ammo. I spent hours on line and the best price I found is .17/round (cci 40 grain tmj). Just trying to add to the confusion. ERIC
That's why you need a Single Ten to go with your Single Nine. :)

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I love my Single Ten. I love my Single Six convertibles. I see no use for a dedicated 22 WMR only gun, not for me anyhow. If the Single Nine was a convertible, Id probably end up with one. Im sure its a wonderful revolver, but I dont see Ruger selling very many.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Actually, there is a practical reason -maybe not enough of one to rush out and buy the Single Nine - but a reason nonetheless.

In a convertible SS, the 22 LR, when using your LR cylinder, is going to have a different point of impact than the 22 mag when using the 22 mag cylinder. This means you'll either have to adjust your hold high/low when switching or adjust your sights when you switch. The greater the range, of course, the more adjustment needed. When I've had Single Six convertibles, I didn't shoot the mag as much as I could have, simply because I didn't want to mess with changing the sights. I kind of like having two separate guns that are sighted in exactly the way I want them, so I grab one or the other, instantly and be sighted in. By last count, I had 9 different 22 pistols and I spend enough time as it is keeping everything sighted in.

By the way, if anyone is looking for an excuse to buy another Ruger, feel free to use this one. :)

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I may be wrong on this so feel free to correct me. I read somewhere along time ago that you don't gain alot of velocity shooting 22magnum in a revolver because the barrel is too short. But ya gotta luv that muzzle FLASH !

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I was at the LGS just now and handled the Ruger Single Nine. What a beauty! Comes standard with Williams Fire Sights and packs 9 rounds of 22 WMR. Anyone have any comments before I do the usual foolish thing? :eek:
Seeing how you posted that 6 days ago, I'm betting you already bought it, didn't you? We all know there isn't a Ruger rimfire that you don't buy.:)

Since I only hunt targets, I'll be able to pass. Don't really need Magnums to kill paper.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Question regarding Single 9 vs the Single 6:

Should the Single 9 be more accurate than the convertible Single 6? I'm assuming it should be at least in theory. .22LR = .222" bullet while .22Mag = .224". That would seem to mean the convertible Six must have a bore that can't possibly be right for both bullets, presumably resulting in reduced accuracy for at least one of the calibers.

That thought only hit me a within the last week when I read about somebody with a Ruger convertible that fired both .357 & 9mm (.355") and they mentioned how the gun wasn't as accurate with 9mm. Presumably because the bore was made for .357s, thus .002" too big for 9mm.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I may be wrong on this so feel free to correct me. I read somewhere along time ago that you don't gain alot of velocity shooting 22magnum in a revolver because the barrel is too short. But ya gotta luv that muzzle FLASH !
Actually, the muzzle velocity of a 22 mag in a revolver is substantially more than a 22 LR in the same revolver. Typically, you'll get about 1300-1400 fps out of a 6" revolver with the Mag and about 1000 fps with the 22 LR, both using 40 grain bullets. That 1300 fps with the Mag is about what you'll get (or even a bit more) than with a high velocity 22 LR out of a rifle barrel.

I see a difference in the POI with my pistols, sometimes even at 50 feet, just switching back and forth between standard velocity and high velocity 22 LR where there is probably only a difference of 100 fps. The mag will definitely print differently in a convertible.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Question regarding Single 9 vs the Single 6:

Should the Single 9 be more accurate than the convertible Single 6? I'm assuming it should be at least in theory. .22LR = .222" bullet while .22Mag = .224". That would seem to mean the convertible Six must have a bore that can't possibly be right for both bullets, presumably resulting in reduced accuracy for at least one of the calibers.

That thought only hit me a within the last week when I read about somebody with a Ruger convertible that fired both .357 & 9mm (.355") and they mentioned how the gun wasn't as accurate with 9mm. Presumably because the bore was made for .357s, thus .002" too big for 9mm.
The bore size will be the same for both the Single Nine and the Single Six - .224", so, as far as the bore size goes, potential accuracy should be the same when shooting the 22 mag in either gun. It's typically the 22 LR in the Single Six that takes a hit on the accuracy, not the Mag, since .224" is a bit larger than needed for 22 LR.

I have noticed, though, that Single Tens seem to have a tighter action than the typical Single Six. My ST is has about as tight a lockup (no cylinder play) as any revolver I've seen and that includes iFreedom Arms SAs and other super expensive SAs. This MIGHT explain why my ST is more accurate than any of the half dozen Single Sixes I've owned over the years. Just a theory on my part, though, and not something I can easily prove. Could also just be my individual gun. Plenty of very accurate Single Sixes around, too.

Now, if the new Single Nines have a similar tight lockup, I suspect they could be very accurate, too. I do intend to check one out as soon as my dealer gets one for me to examine. That's why I'm eager to get some range reports on the Single Nine.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Last week I bought the Single Nine and took it to my local indoor range this past Tuesday.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Excellent made revolver. Fired 100 rounds of Winchester Super X in 40 gr. Elevation was accurate out of the box. Elevation was not. I was shooting 6 inches left at 25 yards. Didn't have a screwdriver with me so I will fire another 50 rds next week and nake necessary adjustments.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I meant to say windage was off. It's late! Anyway it is my first single action revolver. Not sure if it's a keeper yet. Found out that fiber optics don't work well in an indoor range. I also think the front optic should have been red instead of green front and rear. A fine made revolver though.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Actually, the muzzle velocity of a 22 mag in a revolver is substantially more than a 22 LR in the same revolver. Typically, you'll get about 1300-1400 fps out of a 6" revolver with the Mag and about 1000 fps with the 22 LR, both using 40 grain bullets.
I know .22 Mag is definitely faster out of a handgun than is .22 LR. Last year when Gun Tests Magazine did a review of the FN Five Seven they had to find some other gun to compare it to. Problem is no substantially similar gun exists. So they ended up testing it along side a Kel Tec pistol that held 30 rounds of .22 Mag & which has apparently managed to attract interest from folks looking for a defensive weapon that's light on recoil & has lots of ammo capacity. It was interesting how the performance of the Kel Tec .22 Mag really wasn't that far behind the Five Seven that costs almost three times as much.

·
Banned
4,779 Posts
The bore size will be the same for both the Single Nine and the Single Six - .224", so, as far as the bore size goes, potential accuracy should be the same when shooting the 22 mag in either gun. It's typically the 22 LR in the Single Six that takes a hit on the accuracy, not the Mag, since .224" is a bit larger than needed for 22 LR.

Plus one to that country gal the accuracy should be the same ....bore wise anyways as they are around the same diameter at .224.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Would I be correct in assuming the Single Ten, being able to shoot only .22LR, would then have a smaller bore than the Single Six and thus potentially have greater accuracy potential on that basis?

Though I realize all sorts of other factors come into play with accuracy.

North Country Gal: perhaps you can tell me how the Single Ten compares to MKs in terms of accuracy. I saw that pic where you nailed a 1" circle @ 50ft with ten rounds from your MK III Hunter. Looked quite impressive, leaving little room for improvement even by the most expensive target pistols firing the finest match grade ammo.

You'd mentioned how your Single Ten had no play in the cylinder. I should have checked that back in August when there was a Ruger promo day at a local gun shop/range. Never thought of it though. Every revolver I'm come across so far seems to have the same amount of play, including an S&W 617 I bought earlier this year.

I had another question since you seem quite the rimfire expert. How snug are the chambers on Ruger .22 revolvers? When I got my 617 I was quite surprised by how very tight they are, as opposed to centerfires where chambers are so loose that cartridges rattle about. I found that my 617 demands that chambers be pristine clean or cases will really have problems sticking. As opposed to .357/.38 chambers where they're sufficiently loose that you'd have to totally ignore cleaning to ever encounter such an issue.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Would I be correct in assuming the Single Ten, being able to shoot only .22LR, would then have a smaller bore than the Single Six and thus potentially have greater accuracy potential on that basis?
No, you would not. The Single Ten has a .224 bore, the same as all Single Six revolvers built since the 1960s, regardless if they were convertibles or dedicated 22 Long Rifle only.

...perhaps you can tell me how the Single Ten compares to MKs in terms of accuracy.
My Single Ten is as accurate as my Mark Series Target pistols. I have 4 Marks and they will all shoot 2" groups, open sights, elbows rested, at 25 yards. The Single Ten will do the same.

How snug are the chambers on Ruger .22 revolvers? When I got my 617 I was quite surprised by how very tight they are, as opposed to centerfires where chambers are so loose that cartridges rattle about. I found that my 617 demands that chambers be pristine clean or cases will really have problems sticking. As opposed to .357/.38 chambers where they're sufficiently loose that you'd have to totally ignore cleaning to ever encounter such an issue.
The charging holes in my Single Ten are as tight as the holes in my 617. I havent measured them, but when shooting both the ST and the 617, it seems that they need a brushing of the cylinder at about 50 rounds, or they start to become difficult to load. They both will start to bind at that point, because of buildup in the chambers.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Actually, there is a practical reason -maybe not enough of one to rush out and buy the Single Nine - but a reason nonetheless.

In a convertible SS, the 22 LR, when using your LR cylinder, is going to have a different point of impact than the 22 mag when using the 22 mag cylinder. This means you'll either have to adjust your hold high/low when switching or adjust your sights when you switch. The greater the range, of course, the more adjustment needed. When I've had Single Six convertibles, I didn't shoot the mag as much as I could have, simply because I didn't want to mess with changing the sights. I kind of like having two separate guns that are sighted in exactly the way I want them, so I grab one or the other, instantly and be sighted in. By last count, I had 9 different 22 pistols and I spend enough time as it is keeping everything sighted in.
Well... once again, I agree with your logic, however, when I decided I wanted a dedicated 22 WMR gun to compliment my Single Ten, I bought a matching Single Six convertible, Stainless, 5.5" barrel, and put Williams Fire Sights on it. There was no Single Nine at that time. I am happier with the SS convertible than I think I would be with the Single Nine, because of the Long Rifle ability the SS offers. I know if I ever have to sell the SS, I wont have any trouble, as opposed to trying to sell a WMR ONLY gun. I have my SS sighted in for Magnums, and only shoot Magnums thru that one. Wanting to really enjoy the convertible experience, I then bought a SS 4 5/8". What a sweet combo that is, with the shorter barrel and aluminum grip frame. The balance is perfect. Put in the MAG cylinder, and WOW, instant smile. Then Lipseys comes out with the 4 5/8" Single Ten. Oh crap... when will it ever end? Ruger should offer a Single Nine convertible. That would be an instant success, more so, than the current Single Nine 22 WMR only, but still leave the Single Six in the catalog.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts