Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just 3 more months until the new OC Law takes effect in Texas . Are any of you Texans planning to OC and if so are you getting ready ? I have OWB holsters for two guns , both are molded and hold my guns very well . But whether or not a Retention Snap will be required is something I'm still searching on but have not found any definite answers . I do know Retention Holsters have been mentioned but a good molded perfect fit holster is also a retention holster . BUT even tho I have OWB holsters I still plan to wear a shirt untucked to cover up or a dress coat when I dress up for whatever reason . I have debated in getting an IWB holster because of comfort because I prefer leather holsters , I don't care for Kydecks or plastic holsters . Had one for my LC9s but it was so uncomfortable i refused to wear it . So..... , come Jan 1st , 2016 will any of you be OC ?? OH BTW everyone will need to be alert for the new 30.06 and 30.07 signs also .

·
Registered
376 Posts
Negative. No need too. Will continue to carry concealed. Why would you carry openly? Who are you trying to impress? Why expose your position and make yourself a target?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Negative. No need too. Will continue to carry concealed. Why would you carry openly? Who are you trying to impress? Why expose your position and make yourself a target?
I would only OC when I go places like hiking , fishing or hunting . Not out in general public . One thing I like about the new OC law is that even if I wear a OWB holster with a coat or untucked shirt and it accidently got exposed for whatever reason the laws protect you from being harassed . However there will still be those unaware of the new law that will cause problems and most are anti-gun people .

·
Registered
392 Posts
ditto!
(we have OC here in Mo. and so far the only people I've seen doing it are (nutjobs) trying to make some kind of point or be involved is some sort of confrontation.)

I always carry 2 guns, and that's my secret. awareness, stealth, speed.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Just because you can doesn't mean you have to. My question for anyone making the choice to OC instead of concealed would be "Why?"

Jeff

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I would only OC when I go places like hiking , fishing or hunting . Not out in general public . One thing I like about the new OC law is that even if I wear a OWB holster with a coat or untucked shirt and it accidently got exposed for whatever reason the laws protect you from being harassed . However there will still be those unaware of the new law that will cause problems and most are anti-gun people .
Same here. Hiking,fishing or hunting.

The element of surprise from concealment is a major point of self defense from my perspective.

·
Registered
497 Posts
No. I have no intention of ever open carrying in public. I might when I'm on my own property, but even then I will try to keep it mostly covered.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I won't. I don't really see the need but some do and I see no reason why their liberty to do it should have ever been limited in the first place. People in other states have been doing it for years and there is no reason why we shouldn't finally emerge from the "reconstruction" era.

They are required now to teach retention techniques in the new chl, excuse me LTC class but you are not required to wear a retention holster. Commonly understood to mean a strap. That particular onerous provision was voted down.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Did they ever update the law so you can carry in the beer isle at the supermarket concealed or open.

I always loved the big no firearms signs at the ends of the beer isles.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I grew up in TX but now I live on the Left Coast. We have OC here. In the last almost 4 years I have only seen ONE person OC on the streets of our fair town. I don't OC except here on the ranch, at the range or hunting. If one has a CCW already why in the world would that person show the world they are carrying? Sorta defeats the purpose of CCW IMHO. But that's just me. Happy day all.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Check out

Check out Bianchi, They make one that has a little do dad that U press when you want to draw. It is absolutely impossible for it to fall out. I don't care what U are doing. It is quite natural to push it with your second or third finger. I am left handed and had to SO one, but I am pleased with it and it is what I use when not using my Shoulder rig.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I had a discussion with some guys at one of our local clubs. They were talking about OC in some, very limited, situations and locations. Their reason? Hoping that if regular people see other regular people with guns more often they will begin to see it as "normal".

Thoughts and opinions on this?

I'm still thinking about it but have not yet formed a strong opinion one way or the other.
I plan to ask some "un-gun" friends how they would feel about seeing more guns in public. They are not anti-gun, they just do not own any, so I call them un-gun rather than anti-gun.

·
Administrator
22,143 Posts
We will be in TX from early December thru early March and I will continue to carry concealed with my non-resident Utah permit.

·
Registered
17,260 Posts
No

·
Registered
488 Posts
no thanks. CC is the best option for me. OC is something i never really cared about much.

the only thing i liked about the new OC law: 1) it was a win for gun advocates 2) hopefully it pisses some anti-gun types off. :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.